Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sid makes a FPS from scratch in 48 hours

Fens

Ford of the Llies
i think i could watch the complete 48 hours of sid writing his game without getting bored

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Sid Meier is the last standing member of the Old Guard and has resisted the Molyneux Syndrome. He is a true warrior worthy of respect.

:honourblade:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Amazing. He's barely changed in 20 years, in both looks and spirit. Now where can we get Escape From Zombie Hotel?

Hory

Erudite
Ah, so that's why MicroProse made so many flight sims. Sigh, the days when publishers were good guys...

We really need to find a way to clone him so that we can place at least one in every major game development studio.

ever

Scholar
He seemed to be working with an already existing 3D engine, rather than having written it himself.

I messed around with some 3D coding creating a ray casting engine like the ones you see in Doom or Dark Forces or whatever. I did this in my spare time and its not easy at all. Its possible but it definitely takes three or four days doing it in C from scratch. Maybe one day if you don't have to do research and its not your first time coding

Maybe using openGL or whatever its not too hard to make a 3D engine especially if you've done it before but in any case he certainly didn't seem to write that part of the code himself especially since within 5 minutes into the competition he had a 3D map of a maze. Thats kind of impossible unless you have the code somewhere else already.

Destroid

Arcane
I'm thinking he probably didn't make those 3d models/textures and animations either but I could be wrong.

Perhaps he was given leeway because he wasn't in the competition and wasn't a three man team.

roll-a-die

Magister
I've seen people make a model, rig and animate it in under two hours. Textures are very easy to make quickly when you know how. Also it appeared as if they were using XNA game framework and/or VS2010 to do there stuff. It's a VERY good IDE, serious if you do any kind of C/C++ programing pirate that shit now.

Marsal

Arcane
They played his game with an Xbox controller, so he might have been using XNA GS. You don't have to write a 3D engine in the "traditional" sense (with editors, lights, custom importers...). XNA has most of the boilerplate code already done. His map was a flat surface with some walls and just the basic lightning. With some experience, easily done in hours, not days. C# is king of rapid development.

He could have cheated with those models, although it's not impossible to make 2 simple models, texture and animate them rudimentarily in a few hours.

There is, of course, more to the game then just the map and the player models, but he has been programming for 20 years, so one could assume he has a couple of algorithms up his sleeve.

EDIT: Too slow. You don't have to pirate anything. Visual Studio Express is free and has most of the functions of VS Professional (and other versions). You don't need advanced version checking, collaboration tools and similar stuff to write "simple" games (in terms of manpower and cost). XNA GS is also free. Blender for 3D. Gimp for texturing and image manipulation. All free. Or you could just "get" Photoshop and 3DS MAX and do it like a man :)

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
ever said:
He seemed to be working with an already existing 3D engine, rather than having written it himself.

I messed around with some 3D coding creating a ray casting engine like the ones you see in Doom or Dark Forces or whatever. I did this in my spare time and its not easy at all. Its possible but it definitely takes three or four days doing it in C from scratch. Maybe one day if you don't have to do research and its not your first time coding

Maybe using openGL or whatever its not too hard to make a 3D engine especially if you've done it before but in any case he certainly didn't seem to write that part of the code himself especially since within 5 minutes into the competition he had a 3D map of a maze. Thats kind of impossible unless you have the code somewhere else already.

You must be some kind of super coder. I've been making a graphical interface for two years and i'm still finding bugs and ways to avoid them.

Every good programmer steals as much code as he can from what everyone else has done, then writes the rest himself. The best ones are the ones who need to write the least. So no surprises there.

I bet the rest of those guys could have done a lot more if they had a game engine to work with, but allowing any extraneous input in the competition would obviously be unfair.

Norfleet

This video doesn't play and attempts to infest your computer with spyware, it seems.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Fat Dragon said:
Sid Meier is the last standing member of the Old Guard and has resisted the Molyneux Syndrome. He is a true warrior worthy of respect.

:honourblade:
The way to develop a game.

- Have Sid Meier and Peter Molyneux sit down in a room, and brainstorm all possible ideas and have them noted down.

- Lock Molyneux in the room, and leave Sid Meier to complete the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom