Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Single-Player Non-Squad FPS's with "realistic"...

entertainer

Arbiter
well it was one of the most realistic virtual shooting experiences and i think some of the folks behind it work on Ground Branch or something

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Far Cry 1 turned to shit when the mutants came. Especially towards the end. Quite an awesome game in the first half, though.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
It still had a couple of good levels later on. The one where you emerge in the compound with the soldiers fighting off a massive hoard, then take your pick of about three ways of making your way across the biggest level in the game while the fighting continues all around you. That one was great.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:
The one where you emerge in the compound with the soldiers fighting off a massive hoard, then take your pick of about three ways of making your way across the biggest level in the game while the fighting continues all around you.
There's one later level as wel (16 maybe?) with the 3 towers you need to blow up. I'm pretty sure it's possible to get to the towers in any order and that level is HUGE. My favorite in the game too.

praetor

Arcane
entertainer said:
well it was one of the most realistic virtual shooting experiences and i think some of the folks behind it work on Ground Branch or something

yes

poocolator said:
Notice how much of the recoil energy is transferred to the cartridge that flies out of the side of the rifle and the mechanism that shoots backwards to snatch the next bullet. These rifles also have a recoil mostly upwards. And still there's a noticeable amount of momentum left to hit the shoulder.

desocupado

Magister
A quick look at wikipedia, gives the muzzle velocity and mass of the bullet. An AK 47 has a 710 m/s muzzle velocity and a 8 grams, or 0,008 kg bullet.

So the momentum of the bullet is 710 x 0,008 = 5,68 kg.m/s

For the sake of simplicity, we ignore that the bullet desacelerates as it flies towards the target, and:

Ignore the energy lost to deform the bullet when it hits the target and the energy lost to generate heat and sound (I don't have a clue on how much that is, but I imagine it's considerable. But let's ignore it for the sake of making the math).

Assume the bullet does not pass throught the target, it stays within the body, or gets caught by the armor.

The target has no momentum of it's own (it's not moving).

So, we have 5,68 kg.m/s bullet in a inelastic shock, to a let's assume 80 kg target

We do the same math, this time with a different variable.

5,68 = 80,008 x V

V = 5,68/80,008

V = 0,07 m/s

V stands for velocity.

So, when hit by a AK 47 bullet, at close range, ignoring energy loss (which is significative) a 80 kg should go from 0 m/s to 0,07 m/s IF IT WAS NOT TOUCHING THE GROUND.

If it was touching the ground, like most targets, you have to account that the atrition between his feet and the ground would produce a force at the moment of the shock that would start to decelerate the body.

I can calculate that force, and maybe estimate the force a body would have to make forwards to go from 0,07 m/s to 0m/s in a determined time interval, but I really need to crap right now, and that's a lot of work I get no grade/payment for.

Dull creature. No one is interested in the effect of the bullet's momentum on a lump of floating rock. I'm interested in what would happen to the balance of the person being shot repeatedly.

RatFink

Educated
a quick look at some nasty videos of some us marines gunning down some sitting guy who just drops to the floor and some guy getting a shotgun shell into his chest at close range and also just drops but spilling his innards all over the place tells us...not much

edit: sry not sitting he was kneeling and about to fire a rpg

desocupado

Magister
Paula Tormeson IV said:
Dull creature. No one is interested in the effect of the bullet's momentum on a lump of floating rock. I'm interested in what would happen to the balance of the person being shot repeatedly.

Well, how about you get a degree in physics, then coming up with a model for people getting hit by bullets?

You want to know what might happen to a person if he/she would get shot repeatedly? She would feel a push backwards, and she might, MIGHT, fall backwards, depending on his/her support.

BUT SURPRISE! Everyone in this thread have already said something along these lines, but you refuse to listen. How about this, since you do not believe what anyone else says, why don't you get yourself shot and discover! It will be a fun experience!

I was going to expand on the previus explanation, but right now, I realise I should have listened to the advice and not wasted my time with an idiot like you.

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
Ah, yes.
image005.jpg
The reality of war always gets me nice and hard.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom