Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Singularity

dextermorgan

Arcane
I just finished the game and I have the urge to replay it again (which I won't but the urge is there). I found the game very enjoyable, despite

- the fact that it's a complete ripoff highly derivative mashup of Bioshock and Half Life 2
- it being absolutely loaded with some of the most annoying invisible walls ever
- having a metric ton of plot holes
- having one of the coolest yet most under-utilized thingamajigs in gaming
- doing a poor job of presenting USSR symbolism (one of the few things You Are Empty did well)

Yet despite all this I found it more enjoyable than, say, Bioshock. I'm even mulling an LP.

Your thoughts on the game?

Johnny the Mule

Educated
I have all fps'es with some kind of slowmo on my to-play list.

Does this one have health regen??!
(Please God, give me one decent shooter!)

Raapys

Arcane
It was okay; decent shooting mechanics and the time-thing gives it at least a sliver of originality.

Yup, it's pretty solid even if nothing special. I'm somewhere in the middle of it. Probably wouldn't want to play it again but the fact that I'm even sure I'll finish it sets it apart from the most shooters of today. Definitely more fun than Bioshock. Gore is always welcome in my FPS games too, nice to have a feeling of weapons actually having some impact.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I think I wrote it gazillions of times already, but I'll do it again.

Played once, wouldn't play again.

The story should be placed on a pedestal as the prime example of how to not do a time-travelling scenario, with all the plot holes and inconsistencies.

Gunplay is mostly mediocre because some of the guns are not fun to shoot, not to mention the goddamn 2 waffen limit. All the 'basic' weapons are meh, the sniper rifle is cool, but have fun finding bullets, and the minigun p. much provides IDDQD once you get it due to its superior damage, firing speed and ammo capacity. Also, ammo/hp management is p. much non-existent due to all the funky weapon stations you find every goddamn 5 steps (iirc the only exception to this being the sniper rifle because it holds not many bullets and they are costly in the stations, but I might remember wrong), so yeah, there might not be any hp regen here, but you still find medkits/stations all around the place.

Not enough enemy variety, although I have to admit shoopin' futuristic SPECNAZ over and over again is incredibly amusing.

Some atmospheric scenes/level design, but levels are p. much corridors only iirc, although they had a couple of (extremely obvious) secret places.

The TMD is a funky gimmick, but only that - a gimmick. In combat its uses are rather limited and I found myself using it only when I got bored of spraying everyone with the machine of death and destruction that is the minigun.

Buying perks and stuff is cool, but most of them are so horribly useless, the 'character progression' is pretty much set in stone (like the 'HOLD YOUR BREATH LONGER UNDERWATER' thing. Seriously?).

Achilles

Arcane
So this is better than Bioshock in terms of gunplay? The Steam summer sale should be coming up pretty soon, I'll keep SIngularity in mind if it is so.

baronjohn

Cipher
Alexandros said:
The Steam summer sale
You mean the Steam summer rental, right? You know you don't actually own anything when you give steam money?

Raapys

Arcane
Strictly speaking, you're renting whether you buy digitally or physically, since you either way only have a limited license to use said software. Well, you own the box, manual and disk I suppose.

baronjohn

Cipher
Raapys said:
Strictly speaking, you're renting whether you buy digitally or physically, since you either way only have a limited license to use said software. Well, you own the box, manual and disk I suppose.
Strictly speaking, those licenses have never been found to be enforcible, and a company would have to take you to court which would have to rule against you in a ground-breaking anti-consumer manner and then the company would have to hire private contractors to enforce the ruling by watching you 24/7.

Valve on the other hand just kills your game and you're fucked.

Raapys

Arcane
True. But then again, you could probably sue Valve if they did kill your game. And if you do the whole 'emotional/social damage from not having access to said game' angle, you might even :profit:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Agree with everything Roxor said. I'd also like to add the complete inability to turn on subtitles to be one of the stupidest, most bizarre decisions I've seen in a modern game. There is at least one point in the game where you're listening to a recording and someone talks to you - no way around both voices going at once - and as a result you understand absolutely nothing of either. Never mind the constant radioing while you're in the middle of firefights, and so on.

Really, the game has one single good thing going for it: lack of regenerating health. Aside from this it's a mediocre modern shooter. I definitely consider Bioshock to be better - better atmosphere, can actually carry weapons, plot has tighter structure, and level design occasionally shows up. Singularity is one corridor after the other, with some absolutely terrible invisible walls.

Completed once, but would not play again.

I like how even the 'good' Russian scientist couldn't resist the power completely if you side with him at the end.

Flash forward and he's got fucking statues of himself just like the other guy. Oh, and he still helped Russia dominate the globe.

Achilles

Arcane
baronjohn said:
Alexandros said:
The Steam summer sale
You mean the Steam summer rental, right? You know you don't actually own anything when you give steam money?

Of course, but I'm fine with that like the dumb sheeple that I am.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom