Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter SKALD: Against the Black Priory - retro RPG inspired by Ultima - coming May 30th

vitellus

the irascible
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I think SKALD dev is an pretty cool guy. Eh, gets government money and doesn't release anything.
has it ascended to the holiest of holies, the realm of vaporware? for sure the dev can now just post old screenshots sloppily cropped and call it progress. others do it and the teeth are latched to the teat...

Luzur

Good Sir
well-waiting.gif

WarHamster

Augur
Patron
In before the announcement of a another slight delay: the release will be in 2024 - for realisies this time. Honest. Pinky promise.

Fargus

Arcane
I made peace with the fact that any even remotely interesting upcoming game i learn about from the Codex ends up as abandonware or shit.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Switching engines while you have worked on a game for SO long is not in any way shape or form trivial. But as it stands now, If I were in such a position, I would start to immediately switch and get the fuck as far away from Unity. No matter how fucking soul crushing it would be to do that... It's abundantly clear the management of Unity is ran by complete imbeciles.

How does unity track installations? Do all Unity based games now come with some form of DRM that calls home? Do I need to start sandboxing fucking game installations?

kaisergeddon

Liturgist
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
How does unity track installations? Do all Unity based games now come with some form of DRM that calls home? Do I need to start sandboxing fucking game installations?

I don't think even Unity knows. Turns out Unity was merged with an Israeli financial app company called IronSource late last year. This is what happens when you have rich idiots poking around in industries that are new to them and have no respect or understanding of how anything works. It's insane and unenforceable. The new suits at Unity discovered the mobile market has slop giants like Genshin Impact running on the hot software they just bought, and they're tossing all indie and smaller devs like SKALD under the bus to get at them and shake their pockets out while destroying their own product and reputation to do it.

Anyways, I think SKALD should be okay. I completely agree with the dev that Unity will roll this back, but also that everyone should get away from the engine because it's a sign of instability and ignorance with the corporate suite.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom