Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim DLC worth buying?

Leitz

Learned
I didn't know which thread to bump so I try this one. I pirated Skyrim when it was new, played for some 20-30 hours and abandoned it because it was too casualized and overall repetitive crap (those dragon fights). Now that the game is cheap on steam I may want to try it again, maybe with mods.

So my question is: Should I invest in the DLC aswell or can I just dodge it and pay the three bucks for the main game and be happy with it? Is the DLC worth playing?

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
The DLC are awful but they're required for many of the good mods. Personally I bought main game and sailed the seas for the dlc.

Ziem

Arbiter
dawnguard and dragonborn are required for a lot of mods
you can skip hearthfire

Nas92

Augur
The DLC are mostly shitty, but they still have better content than the core game. However, I've heard they can cause problems, for instance there are scripted vampire attacks in Dawnguard which become annoying after a time.

DraQ

Arcane
Dragonborn is definitely worth it if you played Bloodmoon or vanilla Morrowind and consider Skyrim itself worth it.
Dawnguard is required by Requiem mod so I'd consider it essential regardless of its own quality.

Requiem mod breathes new life into Skyrim and I consider it essential although in some individuals it can induce severe allergic reaction manifesting itself with intense and prolonged butthurt so consult a health professional before installing it.

Leitz

Learned
OK bought the Legendary version for the mods I will never play. Thread is now Oblivion.

Gozma

Arcane
The vampire one has Vera Keyes from Dead Money ins it and Bethesda obviously trying out Bioware "this NPC is your good friend, buy our products" writing

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
This game sucks! What have I done.
Half of the quest content is garbage. Here's my recommendations for what to play:

The Dark Brotherhood
The Daedric Prince quests
Dragonborn DLC (Solstheim)

Avoid the Companions like the plague. Dawnguard adds 2 cool new areas, but requires you to go through a moronic plot that forces you to do the most illogical choices in order to advance.

Can't speak for Requiem, but in vanilla you should play a stealth character. Stealth is, for the first time in a Gamebryo game, fun. Fighting with sword and shield is clumsy but works, especially with Block perks and certain unique shields. Magic is absolute garbage, don't bother with it.

If you're into dungeon delving, the best ones are in general the Dwemer Ruins.

Leitz

Learned
I played with 'Alternative Start' and stuff like 'Frostfall'. I was really suprised that I couldn't choose any of my starting skills. I didn't remember it being that dumbed down.
I ignored the million weapons, armor parts and potions in the starting dungeon (alternative start) just to have at least a little bit of a starting from zero feeling.

Then 3 minutes in I met a soldier who was hunting a fox (I give a plus for that). He was in full armor, equipped with a bow and a two handed axe...so I punched him senseless by clicking like an idiot until I was in a cutscene showing some grotesque finishing wrestling move that killed him. WTF just happened!

This was the worst RPG start I had in years.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
This game sucks! What have I done.
Half of the quest content is garbage. Here's my recommendations for what to play:

The Dark Brotherhood
The Daedric Prince quests
Dragonborn DLC (Solstheim)

Avoid the Companions like the plague. Dawnguard adds 2 cool new areas, but requires you to go through a moronic plot that forces you to do the most illogical choices in order to advance.

Pretty much nailed it.

The Dark Brotherhood questline made me wish they made a spin-off game just based on them. It's really nice, and the Daedric quests are also very valid. They're probably the better written parts in the whole game. Dragonborn is also very atmospheric and decently written, and very chunky: that darn island provides quite a few hours of gameplay (10-15, depending on completionist obsession?).

Dawnguard is dull, and the vampire transformation is OP as shit (also, ugly as fuck). There are some pretty amazing visuals to be seen while completing the questline, but they're not really worth the general dullness. There are hints of "atmosphere" here and there, but are all wasted in a sea of mediocre dullness.

Hearthfire is pure flavour, you get to build a manor, and that's about it: its only function, like the stronghold in PoE, is to please sims fans and to keep the player's economy in check(mate), seeing as it's just a money-sink, and a redundant one too (there already are purchaseable player houses in every major city, which -also- are money sinks with no other real function oyher than, maybe, "stash/bank"?). Oh, yes, HF also lets you adopt children, if you're into that stuff. That said, it's a welcome addition for people who RP a lot, the manors are quite pretty and in scenic locations, you can put a lot of stuff in them, hire a bard, plant and grow a garden, do stuff. Really, it's just the Elder Scrolls verison of the Sims.

Last I just wanna add something in favour of the Companion quests: the questline is fairly short, but mandatory if one wants to play as a werewolf, which is quite fun actually (you literally send people flying around, the "finisher" is satisfactorily violent and brutal, and then you get to feed on the corpses). The player gets the chance to become a werewolf pretty soon, so they can stop playing just then, if they find the Companion questline too dull (it -is- somewhat meh and half-assed, truth be told).

DraQ

Arcane
Well, none of the questlines is as spectacularly bad as pretty much every questline in Oblivion (maybe save for the early majority of OB's TG questline).

At worst they are awfully paced (very short while going from zero to hero), railroaded and the College of Winterhold questline feels stupidly pointless in the end.

Anyway, some good quests and NPCs can be obtained via Interesting NPCs mod.

Leitz

Learned
I was really suprised that I couldn't choose any of my starting skills.
(...)
I ignored the million weapons, armor parts and potions in the starting dungeon (alternative start) just to have at least a little bit of a starting from zero feeling.
(...)
WTF just happened!
You haven't installed Requiem.

I'll probably play it at some point. But at first I have to dig deeper into the ridiculous stuff this game has to offer. The weirdest part is the contradiction - the game tries so hard to be serious, with a dark atmosphere and cinematic music, and then I watch Giants stuck in the walking motion in front a pebble stone, or I just punch goats to death; punch everything to death. I guess I'm a Monk in this playthrough.

DraQ

Arcane
I was really suprised that I couldn't choose any of my starting skills.
(...)
(...)
WTF just happened!
You haven't installed Requiem.

I'll probably play it at some point. But at first I have to dig deeper into the ridiculous stuff this game has to offer.
You can't use Requiem with preexisting character and it forces you to unlearn a lot of dumb habits you pick up in vanilla anyway so it's better to start early.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
Dragonborn is to Skyrim what Shivering Isles is to Oblivion. Continuous proof that making the world smaller and more focused makes a much better experience than 100 hours of copy pasted forest and plains. Also actually interesting environments because all the interesting TES lore bits are in the Daedric Realms.

One can dream that one day that Bethesda might do TES: Planeswalker, where you travel in-between every single Daedric realm.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The Dark Brotherhood questline made me wish they made a spin-off game just based on them. It's really nice, and the Daedric quests are also very valid. They're probably the better written parts in the whole game.
Those are definitely the parts of the game where the developers put in most work. The majority of the Daedric quests present the player with a choice, and you even have the option to wipe out the Dark Brotherhood if you'd like, the only faction where this is possible.

And Cicero has more character than any two other vanilla characters put together.

Dragonborn is also very atmospheric and decently written, and very chunky: that darn island provides quite a few hours of gameplay (10-15, depending on completionist obsession?).
The best part is that it is an entirely new island, and not just new interiors placed in Skyrim's already overcrowded landmass (political and geographical). It's a chunk of a new world with new enemies, items, architecture, abilities all separated from the main story. There's plenty to see, and still small enough that you can explore it all without feeling exhausted.
I installed the Compass Tuner mod and turned off undiscovered locations before going, which made for a much more natural experience when exploring ("Just for once, let me look on you with my own eyes." -Darth Vader).

And the new music and the re-used Morrowind music really tugs at the heartstrings of this outlander.

Dawnguard is dull, and the vampire transformation is OP as shit (also, ugly as fuck). There are some pretty amazing visuals to be seen while completing the questline, but they're not really worth the general dullness. There are hints of "atmosphere" here and there, but are all wasted in a sea of mediocre dullness.
I should point out that I think Vampire Lord form is fun, not Werewolf fun, but still very fun. Vampiric Grip in particular.
The summon steed spell was fun.
And Auriel's Shield is probably the best item in the game, both in terms of its unique ability and how you get it off the beaten path (more of this, Bethesda!).

The plot on the other hand, is disappointing, contradictory, illogical nonsense no matter what faction you side with.

Last I just wanna add something in favour of the Companion quests: the questline is fairly short, but mandatory if one wants to play as a werewolf, which is quite fun actually (you literally send people flying around, the "finisher" is satisfactorily violent and brutal, and then you get to feed on the corpses). The player gets the chance to become a werewolf pretty soon, so they can stop playing just then, if they find the Companion questline too dull (it -is- somewhat meh and half-assed, truth be told).
Agreed, playing as a Werewolf is hilarious, especially after Dawnguard buffed them with the Werewolf perk tree.

But the questline itself is barely a questline, you're railroaded through a series of generic fetch quests and a narrative where you are not given the option to join the antagonists even though it makes all the sense in the world to do so.

Rabbid

Savant
Dragonborn is to Skyrim what Shivering Isles is to Oblivion. Continuous proof that making the world smaller and more focused makes a much better experience than 100 hours of copy pasted forest and plains. Also actually interesting environments because all the interesting TES lore bits are in the Daedric Realms.

One can dream that one day that Bethesda might do TES: Planeswalker, where you travel in-between every single Daedric realm.

It's more possible that they will go even further than that. Bethesda will cooperate with WotC and make a tcg spinoff of TES with planeswalkers and stuff, just like in MtG. Think something like "TES: Duels of the Daedric Planeswalkers" ;)

DraQ

Arcane
I installed the Compass Tuner mod and turned off undiscovered locations before going, which made for a much more natural experience when exploring ("Just for once, let me look on you with my own eyes." -Darth Vader).
  • Q: When I hide the quest markers on my compass, it also hides floating quest markers!
    A: This is a known issue, but I can't resolve it for now. The game uses the same resource for both markers. Sorry!
:retarded:
How the fuck is that even an issue? Why would you ever want to keep markers floating in your face if you don't want them even on compas?

Anyway, I use iHUD and it does the same thing. This lets me keep floating markers active in vanilla setting, but only see them when I toggle compass back on (which I only do if I suspect a bug like quest objective not spawning - also for multiple dragon combat when using Bend Will).
Also, iHUD disables entire compass (apart from outline when recharging the Thu'um) so no markers of any kind - undiscovered locations, quests or magical enemy radar.
:pcmasterrace: :obviously:

But the questline itself is barely a questline, you're railroaded through a series of generic fetch quests and a narrative where you are not given the option to join the antagonists even though it makes all the sense in the world to do so.
Still less intrusive railroading than OB's DB idiot ball.

Ashenai

Learned
The only reason to play Skyrim is the mods, but that's actually a pretty good reason. Some mods have had a stupendous amount of effort put into them by very talented people, and it shows.

I really like Requiem, but it bugs me that there are a lot of mods I consider essential that it's not compatible with. It's easily the best choice if you don't want to spend a week just managing your modlist, though.

If you're not using Requiem, everything by Apollo Down is great. Civil War Overhaul turns the Civil War from a boring, occasionally impressive-looking shitfest questline that is literally impossible to fail into pretty much the best part of the game. Dragon Combat Overhaul is a must; it makes dragon fights far more varied. In the base game, dragons follow a very limited set of scripts that you'll learn after 3 or 4 fights. DCO is great, vastly improving their AI and giving their actions a randomized element.

You'll also need some sort of perk/spell overhaul mod. I think Perkus Maximus is the best, it makes perk choices very important. It rewards planning, and it allows you to make actual character builds, instead of ending up as the same fighter/mage/thief every time.

If you want to play a mage, you will also need to fix the absolutely miserable vanilla magic system (although Perkus Maximus already herlps with that to some extent.) There are several mods that add hundreds of rather well-designed spells to the game. I recommend Apocalypse.

There's a ton more you can do to improve the game, but that's a good start (or just install Requiem, seriously, it's a great choice.) I honestly don't recommend playing the game any further without mods, it'll just sour you on it. Skyrim is absolute garbage without mods, but it can be made into something decent with a little effort.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom