Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Slice & Dice - Dice oriented party combat roguelike

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

Hey all, not sure if this belongs in this subforum as I don't usually post game threads that I have no involvement in. But, I think this game might interest codexers.

I've played maybe 20 hours of this, 90% while taking a shit. Look past the mobile interface and aesthetic, Slice & Dice is a relatively unique dice-oriented party combat simulator. While I have some minor nitpicks, especially about balancing, the gameplay here is simple and solid. Yes, it won't be matching KoTC2 or any of the more serious combat sims, but for a 7 USD game from an indie, I found the gameplay loop to be surprisingly good. There's also a free demo.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

I'll just post the spiel from the dev's page here:

Take control of 5 heroes, each with their own unique dice. Fight your way through 20 levels of monsters and try to take on the final boss. If you lose a single fight you have to start over so be careful (and lucky!).

Gameplay

- Free demo

- 3D dice physics, choose which dice to reroll

- Simple turn-based combat

- Level up a hero or gain an item after each fight

- Randomly-generated encounters

- Undo actions as much as you like, each turn is like a mini-puzzle

- No hidden mechanics, everything is visible at all times

Features

- 100 hero classes (+20,000??)

- 61 monsters

- 354 items

- 18 extra modes, including infinite curse mode

- 300+ difficulty modifiers

- Lots of achievements

- Ridiculous Combos

- Online leaderboards
cqqoVv.gif

lLkO0I.png

2NyVfZ.png

tc8wWq.png

Game can be found here: https://tann.itch.io/slice-dice

Once again, I have no involvement with this game or its devs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Desert Rat

Barely Literate
Look past the mobile interface and aesthetic,
I like the aesthetic. I know a lot of people are burned out on pixel art games, but that is what I prefer for 2D games. I've downloaded the demo on Android. I hope I like it as much as you did.

ropetight

Savant
Look past the mobile interface and aesthetic,
I like the aesthetic. I know a lot of people are burned out on pixel art games, but that is what I prefer for 2D games. I've downloaded the demo on Android. I hope I like it as much as you did.
Pixel art can be good.
When devs get away from horrendous 2D-Minecraft look with oversized pixels that look worse than worst voxel implementations.
Also, fuck the washed up pastel palettes and epilepsy-inducing strobe effects that are there only to hide the lack of artist talent.

Best pixel art lately you can find in brawlers, that Bud Spencer game and Turtles one looked sweet.
I really would play the shit out of RPG with such a graphics.

This one I will try, only to further remove social media from my life and bowel movement.

Aemar

Arcane

Slice & Dice is a tactical dice battle roguelike.

Take control of 5 heroes, each with their own unique dice. Fight your way through 20 levels of monsters and try to take on the final boss. If you lose a single fight you have to start over so be careful/lucky!

Gameplay
- 3D dice physics, choose which dice to reroll
- Simple turn-based combat
- Level up a hero or gain an item after each fight
- Randomly-generated encounters
- Ridiculous combos
- Undo actions as much as you like
- Each turn is like a mini-puzzle

Features
- 128 hero classes (+99999?)
- 73 monsters
- 473 items
- Too many modes
- ∞ curses
- Weird modding
- Online leaderboards

Credits
- Created by tann (it took ~7 years)
- Pixel art by a3um
- Music by Ziggurath, Aleksander Zabłocki, Louigi Verona, Cold Sanctum, Ro'sø, Andrew Goodwin
- Trailer by Everdraed

I plan to not participate in any sales/deals/bundles. No AI was used to make this game.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Been playing this again lately myself. Game is, unironically, some of the best combat in any game I've ever played. Game just throws meaningful choices at you at a breakneck pace, and has so many characters, enemies, items, curses, modes and options it never gets old.

Aemar

Arcane
Game just throws meaningful choices at you at a breakneck pace, and has so many characters, enemies, items, curses, modes and options it never gets old.
Got the exact same impression at first glance after seeing a couple of gameplay videos. Simple game, yet highly entertaining.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom