Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So, Baldurs Gate

Silva

Arcane
octavius my man, you said that 10 years ago when I created this thread. :lol:

Just let me troll in peace, will you.
Damned, my character development must be really slow when I react the same after 10 years.
you just got old
I prefer "stagnated", thanks.
Curiously, getting "stagnated" is a really bad thing in japanese. They call it "kegare", a concept that can be seen in the Souls series, from Bloodborne's vermin that proliferate in stagnated water, to DS3 reality "drifting" and rotting as the fire fades. Good/healthy things keep flowing like a water stream.

In other words, a japanese reads your phrase as "I'm a limp old man who can't fuck anymore and my wife is cuckolding me with some young boyo".

Last edited:
octavius my man, you said that 10 years ago when I created this thread. :lol:

Just let me troll in peace, will you.
Damned, my character development must be really slow when I react the same after 10 years.
you just got old
I prefer "stagnated", thanks.
Curiously, getting "stagnated" is a really bad thing in japanese. They call it "kegare", a concept that can be seen in the Souls series, from Bloodborne's vermin that proliferate in stagnated water, to DS3 reality coming apart and "drifting" (like in stagnated water) as the fire fades. Good/healthy things keep flowing like a water stream.

In other words, a japanese reads your phrase as "I'm a limp old man who can't fuck anymore, and my wife is probably cuckolding me with some young boyo".
Can confirm, I'm the boyo

Modron

Arcane
I'm afraid to ask who is the wife.
A $2,400 three foot tall statue of 2B from Nier Automota.

Edit for
koala.png
: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...and-platinum-games.99702/page-71#post-8563450

Last edited:

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You know, I like BG so much that I haven't actually played it with a different party?. And I've played it at least once a year since it came out in 1998. I should probably get on that. It would be almost like playing it again new...

I just can't bear the thought of not having Viconia in my party and thinking "By BG2 that drow pussy is gonna be mine".

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
You know, I like BG so much that I haven't actually played it with a different party?. And I've played it at least once a year since it came out in 1998. I should probably get on that. It would be almost like playing it again new...

I just can't bear the thought of not having Viconia in my party and thinking "By BG2 that drow pussy is gonna be mine".

I'm almost done replaying BG1 and then going to import my character to BG2. Playing through BG1 with all the cool 'neutral' types like Branwen, Kivan, Xan, etc. is a lot of fun and a great breath of fresh air. The only 'canon' companion I kept is Imoen because she's so integral to BG2.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I can't bring myself to *not* take Xzar and Monty, Viconia, Kagain and Edwin in BG1.
Also Yeslick, Xan, Tiax, Safana, Skie, Quayle, Eldoth, Alora... BG had a fuckton of interesting and fun party members (unlike BG2).

Of course BG fan fiction and generally recognized ones out of the game are the lamest and most cringe ones (Viconia and Edwin are okay, but nothing amazing, I don't bother with them after I get access to more entertaining characters).

I always bring Minsc to Dynaheir to murder them together, so the cringe doesn't overwhelm forgotten realms

Last edited:

copebot

Learned
I can't bring myself to *not* take Xzar and Monty, Viconia, Kagain and Edwin in BG1.
Also Yeslick, Xan, Tiax, Safana, Skie, Quayle, Eldoth, Alora... BG had a fuckton of interesting and fun party members (unlike BG2).
what's so interesting and fun about BG1 characters? they barely say anything the WHOLE game.
They say stuff when you select them or tell them to do something or they take an action. What else do they need to do? It's a video game.

barricade

Educated
what's so interesting and fun about BG1 characters? they barely say anything the WHOLE game.
They say stuff when you select them or tell them to do something or they take an action. What else do they need to do? It's a video game.
and i agree with you, i'm just trying to figure out what is so interesting/fun about bg1 shallow characters.

jaekl

Educated
Patron
I'm finding less is more when it comes to RPG characters. BG had a lot of characters, but BG2 starts and they don't have characters, they have * C H A R A C T E R S * and the focus shifts away from the world and onto their little dramas. Now look at us, we have soap operas instead of fantasy adventures. At least that's how I remember it, it's been a while since I played them but I remember hating almost everyone in the second game while *mostly* liking the people in the first. Imoen got left in a ditch in the opening forest screen, of course.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
They have enough character and not too much. I don't give a shit about SOB STORIES that BG2 shits all over you from literally everyone. You had terrible childhood? Father abandoned you? Wife cheated? Cat murdered? I don't care, shut the fuck up! I just want a few cool lines here and there, occasional banter and that's it.

I want a merry party who adventure together, not a trainwreck emo depression party who just tell me their problems.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Haven't played it in years, but if I remember correctly the NPC banter pack (correct name?) was written especially well with them. I think I did 1 or 2 playthroughs with that kind of evil party after all.

goodie-goodie vs MWA-HA-HA baddiy world.
They're just being realistic. Morally grey villains with compelling motives can be interesting but like so many other mythological creatures, they're overused. So it's a bit refreshing to have 1-dimensional, pure evil, cartoon villains like the ones in real life.

proxy-image

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom