Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So... Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
itisamystery.gif

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Moebius was permakilled right after he was killed by Kain, which is just after Vorador was beheaded.
Basically it was the worst day ever for Moebius, first he gets killed by Kain, then he gets killed by Kain again moments later, and finally he gets his soul devoured by Raziel.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Many things in the serie did not end up as intially intended. Blood Omen 2 wasn't supposed to be a Legacy of Kain game but a sequel to Chakan on the Genesis (I still have nightmares about this one; I should try to finish it some day) but was then refurbished as the game we know today. Not exactly the best episode, but it has its moments.

The only way to beat Chakan properly is to play it on the hardest difficulty. And I think you only have one chance to beat the true final boss, otherwise you have to start from the beginning. Unless you use save states. That game is a true curse on humanity. But interesting that Blood Omen 2 was supposed to be a Chakan game. Didn't know that.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
The new Chakan game was originally developed for Dreamcast, with plans to release on PS2 and Gamecube. The devs boasted that only 5% of players would get past the first couple of worlds, which had the effect that they spent most time polishing those since they'd be what people would be stuck on most of the time. In the end, the early demise of the Dreamcast and the fact that hard games were difficult to sell at the dawn of the Age of the Popamole just ended things for the Chakan sequel. Technically, BO2 was still developed from scratch but it recycled a huge part of the concept art for Chakan 2, and the similarities between the two designs are too great to be coincidences. There is even a picture of a dead Chakan at some point in BO2.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Moebius was permakilled right after he was killed by Kain, which is just after Vorador was beheaded.
Basically it was the worst day ever for Moebius, first he gets killed by Kain, then he gets killed by Kain again moments later, and finally he gets his soul devoured by Raziel.
The most hilarious thing is that Moebius hasn't foreseen any of this, apart from death number one.

DraQ

Arcane
I haven't played BO (sadly, technical reasons), nor BO2 (luckily), but SR->SR2->Defiance was pretty :bounce: .

Each of those games has some crippling flaws, though - SR has wonky controls (though easily the best combat in the series as it focuses on killing vampires for real, with human opponents being rare, dangerous, but incredibly fragile), SR2 has... shit I don't remember, but I remember it has something seriously crippled, Defiance has "cinematic" camera (and it's of oh god why grade).

I really loved some puzzles in SR1, plane-shifting really adds an extra dimension to the game.

Vaarna_Aarne

I'd say there's two things with Soul Reaver's controls: One is that it doesn't use the analog stick and has fairly stiff pad controls, another is that Raziel jumps really fucking fast.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
I'd say there's two things with Soul Reaver's controls: One is that it doesn't use the analog stick and has fairly stiff pad controls,

Dewd, check your emulator. Analog controls always worked with SR... I know because it might have made the game unbearable otherwise.

Vaarna_Aarne

I'd say there's two things with Soul Reaver's controls: One is that it doesn't use the analog stick and has fairly stiff pad controls,

Dewd, check your emulator. Analog controls always worked with SR... I know because it might have made the game unbearable otherwise.
Oh wait, indeed they did... But somehow (I've got it on PSN, played through it last winter using only directional pad) they always felt like the damn things were even clunkier.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Well, there were certain places you absolutely needed to go in one direction (any jumping puzzle) where d-pad could've been a better alternative because Raziel really did have very sensitive movement. However, for normal gameplay, I'd think trying to get around the world (especially the non-euclidean spirit levels), doing the puzzles, doing the shitloads of running around... yeah, analog all the way.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I haven't played BO (sadly, technical reasons), nor BO2 (luckily), but SR->SR2->Defiance was pretty :bounce: .

Each of those games has some crippling flaws, though - SR has wonky controls (though easily the best combat in the series as it focuses on killing vampires for real, with human opponents being rare, dangerous, but incredibly fragile), SR2 has... shit I don't remember, but I remember it has something seriously crippled, Defiance has "cinematic" camera (and it's of oh god why).

I really loved some puzzles in SR1, plane-shifting really adds an extra dimension to the game.
Ah yes, Defiance's glorious camera. I liked how it changed cameras mid-flight, along with camera angles, which in turn changed your flight direction and caused you, instead of landing on a platform like a boss, to park your vampiric ass in the nearest water source, prompting a respawn. But it looked like in a movie!

Also, have you seen these?

Tony Jay:love:

DraQ

Arcane
Ah yes, Defiance's glorious camera. I liked how it changed cameras mid-flight, along with camera angles, which in turn changed your flight direction and caused you, instead of landing on a platform like a boss, to park your vampiric ass in the nearest water source, prompting a respawn. But it looked like in a movie!
:x

:nevarforget:

One is that it doesn't use the analog stick and has fairly stiff pad controls
:what:

KB+M, man.

Rpgsaurus Rex

Errrr, it's the hardest platformer i ever played. Harder than cave story "hell level" (due to the puzzles thou, cave story is more frenetic).

Sure you can go till about ... midway with save states, and there is a generous 3-4 hour limit (it can be ended with about 1 hour) - but you'll hit a brick wall about midway, of learning how to "3 times" bomb jump, wall jump, one wall wall jump, ball jump etc.

Advice, play the original metroid before being sodomized by redesign. Or at least spoil yourself about the unstandard moves/use a macro (i did for bomb jump, that shit is insane).

why it's a good idea to use a macro for bomb jump:
Multiple bomb jump
This is the art of climbing further and further up into the air by
repeatedly using bomb jumps. To do this lay a bomb. Precisely before the
bomb detonates lay a second bomb (this requires exact timing). The first
bomb will propel Samus into the air, when she falls back lay a third
bomb slightly above the second bomb. The second bomb will now explode
and push Samus up again. Once Samus gets of the ground it's not so
difficult and by repeating this process over and over she'll be able
reach (in theory) any height.

SM is still worth playing if you never did.

I loved Cave Story and "Hell level" definitely raped me (since I suck at platformers in general), I stopped trying after like 1000 deaths - I never got past the Elevator boss.

I'll probably give the original SM a go, then. It sucks that I missed out on it back in the day.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
:necro:

If this shit ever gets finished it's going to be the best 2D to 3D remake ever. They've done an incredible job :

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Great game. Excellent story between the series. Before Hashakgik was defined as the Hylden Lord, I always took him as being the ancient demi-god talked of in the depths of the Avernus Cathedral.
He'd been replaced by the pillars, and so enacted a grand plan to eventually come back to prominence. He possessed the Necromancer, and killed Ariel, and from there, Nupraptor's madness struck out at all of the guardians, slowly corrupting the pillars.
The necromancer had some control over himself still in between these bouts of possession, and actively worked against the demon by killing kain, bringing him back as a vampire, and then sicking him on the guardians one by one, until he was confronted himself.
When his corporeal form was destroyed, Hashakgik made his appearance known. This was what I'd thought about the story of the first game before any of the other stuff.

A horse of course

I was rounding up some info on the cancelled Eternal Darkness sequel for some people in incelbox when I noticed Dennis "The Dyke" Dyack has been shilling his new game by playing up its connection to Blood Omen. The studio channel has been running a lot of features on BO as part of the marketing campaign, so I thought people might be interested. There's also a playthrough with Dennis making comments but it's hours long, so I just linked Part 1. You can find the rest on their channel.

Generic-Giant-Spider

It's better we don't get a proper conclusion to this these days. They'd just gay it up and probably make Raziel a demisexual.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom