Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So Darksiders is out for the PC

Felix

Arcane
Need impression.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
It is the worst AAA action game I have played for years. Quit and uninstalled after 1½ hours.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
On the xbox360 I felt it was a fun exploration based platformer with an interesting art direction. It tries a little to be a hack and slash metroid. It's also pretty big and will take you a good chunk of time to play through although a lot of that is due to backtracking whenever you get a new toy to reach new ground in old levels. Fun bosses as well.

Edit: Zelda is actually a pretty good comparison.

Silellak

Cipher
Here are some ramblings I made while talking about the console version. I imagine most of the shitty design decisions I mention are still in place:

I really want to enjoy it, but the game has some fairly terrible design choices. The oft-mentioned "same button for block/dash" is the big one. Another obvious one is the lock-on being L2 and the spell selection being L1...talk about awkward.

The place I finally decided to put down the controller and step away for the night was in the elevated highway section before (I assume) the first dungeon. There's a large enemy that attacks you with a Dramatic Cutscene (tm) and (on Hard difficulty at least) can kill you in about 4 hits. There's not much room to maneuver, and the hit-detection on its attacks seem...bizarre, at best.

That's all well and good. Tough, unfair fights are what God of War and its ilk are all about, really. But when you die, instead of starting at that fight (or at least at the cutscene be fore it), you start about a minute and a half away, having to climb back up to trigger the fight - complete with stupid, pointless cutscene - again. Worst of all, if you used up your pitiful magic meter before dying...it's still gone when you restart from the checkpoint.

Challenging fights are okay, forcing the player to run back to the site of the fight, watch a stupid cutscene, and try the fight again - without their now-drained magic meter - is not. That's not challenge - that's terrible design, plain and simple. It's like I'm trying to enjoy the game and the game is trying its damnedest to make sure I don't. I don't care enough to restart on an easier difficulty just to see more of the game, but I'm not sure how much of this style "challenge" I can tolerate. And keep in mind - I actually enjoyed Demon's Souls, despite it arguably being torture in video game form.

Just a damned shame, because I see the potential in the game, and I can understand why people seem to dig it...but the bad design choices really stick out like a sore thumb. It could've used a bit more playtesting by real people, I think.
I never actually got to the really "Zelda-esque" parts everyone talked about - it's at least a few hours of gameplay until the first "dungeon", and honestly the game didn't keep my attention for that long.

Your mileage may vary, I guess.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Well, I don't recall a single boss fight where you actually needed your magic at all, so that's kind of a lame thing to bitch about. And the block/dash thing makes sense to me; they're both your defensive moves, you time them about the same, and they're mutually exclusive. There's no reason they should be on different buttons unless you're some gimp that can't stop moving to block.

The repeating unskippable cutscenes is definitely retarded though. And I never really liked boss design that revolves around very specific weakpoints/weapons and predictable attack cycles you are meant to abuse. Nothing makes me feel like I'm playing a (simplistic) game more than winning a fight by virtue of the enemy AI doing the exact same thing over and over again to reveal it's tiny weakpoint.

I.C. Wiener

Educated
It's Zelda Ocarina of time but super linear with God of War's annoying cheap combat and style. And too many setpieces. That description is millions of times more interesting than the game itself, which is a boring, me-too rehash of all of the crappy console God of War clones which tried to imitate it for who knows what reason. Don't even bother.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
It was lulzy playing through and seeing all the shameless ripoffs from other games. Grappling hook, portal gun, glide wings, dante's handgun and half his sword attacks and the demon transformation... well ok they pretty much built straight off DMC.

entertainer

Arbiter
You have no new messages

Check-out Codex Merchandise - Buy stuff from Amazon - Link Converter
T-Shirt Hell | Amazon.com | Amazon.ca | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Fishpond.co.nz
(buying stuff via the above links helps us pay the hosting bills)

Donate and get rid
of these pesky ads!

Codex T-Shirts RPG Codex :: Latest News
Legerdemain & other assorted Roguelike Updates
DeathSpank finally coming to PC
On Game Design and Deus Ex: Human Revolution Tacticular Cancer :: Latest News
Shogun 2: Morder Dem
Squad Battles: Red Victory at Armchair General
AGEOD on Pride of Nations
Codex Mugs

So Darksiders is out for the PC

The Codex Forums -> General Gaming
View previous topic :: View next topic
Felix

Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 13:13:43 Post subject: So Darksiders is out for the PC

Need impression.

Black Cat

Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 13:23:41 Post subject:

I'll tell you mine in about seven more GBs.

anus_pounder

Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 13:51:29 Post subject:

Black Cat wrote:
I'll tell you mine in about seven more GBs.

Sorry we people in the the gaming industry can't make games with german campaigns for would-be nazi teenagers who're just too scared to fight their opponents in the streets so they listen to RAC on youtube to get their thrill (not even the balls to wear bleached jeans and a bomber jacket to go to work, sorry, school, kiddos).
Call us PC.
I call myself real-life. - Tramboi

Ed123
-

Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 14:37:42 Post subject:

Played it through on 360. It marketed itself as God of War, but is actually a Zelda game. You'll spend around 80% of your time doing puzzles and backtracking, 10% fighting, and another 10% playing "Simon Says" disguised as boss fights.

Zed
-

Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 14:38:17 Post subject:

It is the worst AAA action game I have played for years. Quit and uninstalled after 1½ hours.

HAHA ROFL NEW JOKE NEXT WEEK GUYS LOOK FORWARD TO IT

Trash
'''

Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 14:38:35 Post subject:

On the xbox360 I felt it was a fun exploration based platformer with an interesting art direction. It tries a little to be a hack and slash metroid. It's also pretty big and will take you a good chunk of time to play through although a lot of that is due to backtracking whenever you get a new toy to reach new ground in old levels. Fun bosses as well.

Edit: Zelda is actually a pretty good comparison.

Silellak

Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 17:41:37 Post subject:

Here are some ramblings I made while talking about the console version. I imagine most of the shitty design decisions I mention are still in place:
Quote:
I really want to enjoy it, but the game has some fairly terrible design choices. The oft-mentioned "same button for block/dash" is the big one. Another obvious one is the lock-on being L2 and the spell selection being L1...talk about awkward.

The place I finally decided to put down the controller and step away for the night was in the elevated highway section before (I assume) the first dungeon. There's a large enemy that attacks you with a Dramatic Cutscene (tm) and (on Hard difficulty at least) can kill you in about 4 hits. There's not much room to maneuver, and the hit-detection on its attacks seem...bizarre, at best.

That's all well and good. Tough, unfair fights are what God of War and its ilk are all about, really. But when you die, instead of starting at that fight (or at least at the cutscene be fore it), you start about a minute and a half away, having to climb back up to trigger the fight - complete with stupid, pointless cutscene - again. Worst of all, if you used up your pitiful magic meter before dying...it's still gone when you restart from the checkpoint.

Challenging fights are okay, forcing the player to run back to the site of the fight, watch a stupid cutscene, and try the fight again - without their now-drained magic meter - is not. That's not challenge - that's terrible design, plain and simple. It's like I'm trying to enjoy the game and the game is trying its damnedest to make sure I don't. I don't care enough to restart on an easier difficulty just to see more of the game, but I'm not sure how much of this style "challenge" I can tolerate. And keep in mind - I actually enjoyed Demon's Souls, despite it arguably being torture in video game form.

Just a damned shame, because I see the potential in the game, and I can understand why people seem to dig it...but the bad design choices really stick out like a sore thumb. It could've used a bit more playtesting by real people, I think.

I never actually got to the really "Zelda-esque" parts everyone talked about - it's at least a few hours of gameplay until the first "dungeon", and honestly the game didn't keep my attention for that long.

Your mileage may vary, I guess.

Reward unlocked: Profile picture upgrade!

Reward unlocked: Bonus movie - Let's Finish Ultima VII...on the Super Nintendo!

Eurogamer's Restrospective on Age of Decadence Online
Volourn wrote:
The truth starts when I start typing. the lies startz when someone disagrees with me. Capiche?

DamnedRegistrations

Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 00:19:50 Post subject:

Well, I don't recall a single boss fight where you actually needed your magic at all, so that's kind of a lame thing to bitch about. And the block/dash thing makes sense to me; they're both your defensive moves, you time them about the same, and they're mutually exclusive. There's no reason they should be on different buttons unless you're some gimp that can't stop moving to block.

The repeating unskippable cutscenes is definitely retarded though. And I never really liked boss design that revolves around very specific weakpoints/weapons and predictable attack cycles you are meant to abuse. Nothing makes me feel like I'm playing a (simplistic) game more than winning a fight by virtue of the enemy AI doing the exact same thing over and over again to reveal it's tiny weakpoint.
_________________Hobbit Lord of Mordor wrote:

You can only fight hate with hate. The difference is that my hate is motivated by love (of God), who for some reason is still ready to love you, but you keep rejecting.

FaChoi

Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 02:47:12 Post subject:

Zelda like? sounds alright, but unskippable cutscenes make me rage..4GB rip might be worth the effort?? specially if they ripped out the fmv

I.C. Wiener

Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 04:27:19 Post subject:

It's Zelda Ocarina of time but super linear with God of War's annoying cheap combat and style. And too many setpieces. That description is millions of times more interesting than the game itself, which is a boring, me-too rehash of all of the crappy console God of War clones which tried to imitate it for who knows what reason. Don't even bother.

DamnedRegistrations

Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 04:36:08 Post subject:

It was lulzy playing through and seeing all the shameless ripoffs from other games. Grappling hook, portal gun, glide wings, dante's handgun and half his sword attacks and the demon transformation... well ok they pretty much built straight off DMC.
_________________Hobbit Lord of Mordor wrote:

You can only fight hate with hate. The difference is that my hate is motivated by love (of God), who for some reason is still ready to love you, but you keep rejecting.

Ed123
-

Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 15:16:02 Post subject:

Actually I do recall enjoying ripping the heads of busty ghosts.

DramaticPopcorn

Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 16:13:33 Post subject:

Moar like next-gendex amirite

The Codex Forums -> General Gaming All times are GMT + 3 Hours

Page 1 of 1
Watch this topic for replies Jump to:

Quick Reply:

Quote the last message
Attach signature (signatures can be changed in profile)

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You can delete your posts in this forum
You can vote in polls in this forum

The Codex expects that every man shall do his patriotic duty and give internets.