Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So guys...Nehrim

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Yeah, there was talk about it for a little while, but then it disappeared. I need to know if it's worth playing.

So, I've heard it's like Gothic. Simple question, is it closer to Gothic 1 or Gothic 2 in terms of overall quality? If it's like Gothic 1 or worse, I think I'll pass. But if it's better than Gothic 1 approaching Gothic 2 quality I'll probably play it.

Who has played it all?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's still got Oblivion's combat, but has much better level design and exploration. Overall it's closer to Gothic 3, but only some elements are Gothic at all (mining and forging skills, you get learning points on levelup that you can spend on training). It's mostly like a much improved Oblivion without any level scaling and great dungeon and landscape design.

fragonard

Novice
Dicksmoker said:
But it unfolds in a more linear function more like an adventure game, right?

The MQ is a little linear but there are lots of side quests and loads of free form looting in mines, ruins, etc. The MQ should take about 30 hrs but you could spend that and more without touching it.

jazzotron

Liturgist
Dicksmoker said:
But it unfolds in a more linear function more like an adventure game, right?

Main quest is linear, but if you're an explor-o-whore like myself it is still entertaining.

Some caveats:

* buggy as hell - I was experiencing CTDs every 30mins to 1 hour or so. Significantly more frequent than vanilla Oblivion so save regularly.
* unfinished - side quests that don't end because the modders haven't completed them; forging is also incomplete.
* still left with Oblivion game mechanics - not even these modders could cure the stupid of the original game.

But really, JF sums it up concisely:

JarlFrank said:
It's mostly like a much improved Oblivion without any level scaling and great dungeon and landscape design.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Jarlfrank, did your game crash that often? This could be a deal-breaker.

And is there anyone else who played this mod?

Dicksmoker said:

I'm playing it for an LP, and I haven't had any crashes so far. It's been remarkably stable.

jazzotron

Liturgist
flabbyjack said:
Totally worth it. Install!

It crashed often, but only when resting/saving. Thankfully the saves were never corrupted and I could just restart and reload.

And when loading an area (transition from indoors to outdoors or vice versa).

Hey, with all the crashes I experienced, I still persisted to finish the thing - and will probably repeat the experience in the future! It was a very entertaining mod.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Dicksmoker said:

It only crashed occasionally, but usually I could play it for hours without crashing. It does have the annoying engine-related memory leak though, so after a few hours the performance goes down quite a bit, but that's normal for Oblivion.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I didnt like it, the world and dungeons are more interesting then in Oblivion but thats pretty much it and even here dungeons quickly start repeating in design.

I would even say that story, dialogs and quests are better in Oblvion (and they were bad there) although I liked more the voice acting in Nehrim.

So if you really want to play a fantasy sandbox game then just install Morrowind or Oblivon with bunch pf mods, or even better just play New Vegas.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
DraQ said:
markec said:
if you really want to play a fantasy sandbox game then just install Daggerfall or Morrowind with bunch of mods
Haven't played Nehrim, but I detected a malfunction in your post and set out to repair it.

Oblivion with lots of mods is better experience then Nehrim but to me even then Oblivion is unplayable so there is no real point in playing Nehrim.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
markec said:
I didnt like it, the world and dungeons are more interesting then in Oblivion but thats pretty much it and even here dungeons quickly start repeating in design.

I would even say that story, dialogs and quests are better in Oblvion (and they were bad there) although I liked more the voice acting in Nehrim.

So if you really want to play a fantasy sandbox game then just install Morrowind or Oblivon with bunch pf mods, or even better just play New Vegas.
A challenger appears.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Also, some quests unifinished? Not good. When will they be completed?

Last edited:

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I uninstalled it as soon as I realized all the voiceover was done in German. Sorry, but that breaks my IMMERSHUN as a narrow-minded 'Kwan.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
The things obshidian did with fallout 3? making the game not only playable, but really enjoyable?

well, these guys couldn't do it.

hanssolo

Educated
It's worth a try, area design is good, everything else is at least better than oblivion, but linear as fuck and super dull. story is pretty retarded, too. translation was incomplete on release too, not sure if they've updated since, but running into page-long blocks of german every third note I found was pretty lame.

flushfire

Augur
I hated the scripted 1st dungeon with monsters you have to kill using gimmicks. Didn't want another training/tutorial dungeon after Oblivion's TBH. When I got out I thought I could explore freely, but no. So I uninstalled it, maybe I'll give it another try when I run out of other games to play.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Crispy said:
I uninstalled it as soon as I realized all the voiceover was done in German. Sorry, but that breaks my IMMERSHUN as a narrow-minded 'Kwan.

Can you mute only the voices and play it as a text game?

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Dicksmoker said:
Yeah, there was talk about it for a little while, but then it disappeared. I need to know if it's worth playing.

So, I've heard it's like Gothic. Simple question, is it closer to Gothic 1 or Gothic 2 in terms of overall quality? If it's like Gothic 1 or worse, I think I'll pass. But if it's better than Gothic 1 approaching Gothic 2 quality I'll probably play it.

Who has played it all?

Just started playing it. It's closer to Oblivion then to either Gothic. In fact it's level up system is still suffering from Oblivion's nonsense as far as attribute increase at level up being influenced by how many skills from each attribute category got increased before the level up effect. The trouble is that skills go up extremely slowly in this game as the game expects you to to raise them via learning points instead (new Nehrim feature), and when you increase skills that way the attribute increase multipliers remain at 1 when you level up. So I had to download a different level up attribute raise model for it.

I'm having fun with it though. The world design is great, you're often rewarded for exploration. Battle system is more realistic as everything is more damaging.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom