Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So I decided to replay The Witcher 1...

KalosKagathos

Learned
Installed, downloaded the EE patch. It asks me to register the copy. I did it when the game first came out, but fuck me if I remember the password, or even the user name. The official forums seem to be down, so I can't ask for assistance there. Advise me, my brethren in potato.

KalosKagathos

Learned
Yeah, there's a tool that removes the registration verification from the patch executable. Thanks.

I'd like to add that were I a filthy, dirty, child-touching pirate, I would not have this problem.

KalosKagathos

Learned
Jesus fuck, it refuses to patch unless I download the Russian language pack. WHY DO YOU NEED ME TO DOWNLOAD 800 MB OF FILES THAT I MOST LIKELY ALREADY HAVE INSTALLED, YOU STUPID GAME?

made

Arcane
Just buy it again from GOG. It's only 5 bucks.
face.gif

KalosKagathos

Learned
The hell does it even do for so long? Shouldn't it just unpack some files and drop them in the right directories? Why does applying a patch take 5 times as much time as installing the damn game did?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
KalosKagathos said:
The hell does it even do for so long? Shouldn't it just unpack some files and drop them in the right directories? Why does applying a patch take 5 times as much time as installing the damn game did?
I think it doesn't just unpack some files, but modifies the existing installation.

DraQ

Arcane
KalosKagathos said:
Because it was optimized for potato electronics and potato batteries provide little electricity.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
CrimsonAngel said:
made said:
Just buy it again from GOG. It's only 5 bucks.
face.gif

I may or may not have done that....
I didn't wan to buy it again, I really didn't, since I already have a boxed copy. But then this topic reminded me that I have to endure a 2 hour install every time I install it. So fuck it, this game worth 5 bucks.

Eyeball

Arcane
DraQ said:
KalosKagathos said:
Because it was optimized for potato electronics and potato batteries provide little electricity.
And also because it isn't actually an especially good or well-coded GAME. Voice acting and writing is good, but when it comes to providing a "game experience", Witcher kind of trips over its own feet.

DraQ

Arcane
Eyeball said:
DraQ said:
KalosKagathos said:
And also because it isn't actually an especially good or well-coded GAME. Voice acting and writing is good, but when it comes to providing a "game experience", Witcher kind of trips over its own feet.
Well, it runs on Aurora, what did you expect?
:smug:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
KalosKagathos said:
Yeah, there's a tool that removes the registration verification from the patch executable. Thanks.

I'd like to add that were I a filthy, dirty, child-touching pirate, I would not have this problem.

Obviously you wouldn't. Of course you'd have problem. That patch that unlocks sexual scenes is a patch 1. or a patch 2. And do I have it installed already? It would take additional 15 minutes per patch to try it.

Otherwise that game create diffs of files, and then checks them out. Which takes a long time.

Don't forgot to save properly and DON'T rely on autosave. It can screw itself up, and happily overwrite previous autosave by a bad file.

tennishero

Novice
witcher is shit

so much potential wasted

it has story C&C good ideas

but

gameplay i sshit

and insomiac hero is the worst cliche a company can do

i take 1 point off planescape because of insominiac hero and that game has the best writing in any game ever

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I tried replaying Witcher myself about a week ago in anticipation of the sequel, but I gave up after about 5 minutes. Ugh.

But, I'd like to point out, being a perfect opportunity, that this is where the splurging on something like twin 10,000RPM Raptor hard drives in RAID0 really comes in handy. It took my system about 10 minutes to apply the Enhanced Edition. :smug:

An SSD in a nice system would probably have similar results.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
DraQ said:
Eyeball said:
DraQ said:
KalosKagathos said:
Well, it runs on Aurora, what did you expect?
:smug:

NWN installs and runs like a dream.

DraQ

Arcane
Crispy said:
I tried replaying Witcher myself about a week ago in anticipation of the sequel, but I gave up after about 5 minutes. Ugh.
Crispy, saying this like a bro to a bro, you're a faggot.

You readily admit to have played oblivious, which is one of the vilest turds ever, yet somehow you cannot stomach a game that is at the very worst decent.

(Also, posting dunk on the codex)

Jaesun said:
This is why we don't quote or reply to this dumbfuck, Mr. Gordon Freeman.
This.

Why does he still post here?

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
DraQ said:
Crispy said:

You readily admit to have played oblivious, which is one of the vilest turds ever, yet somehow you cannot stomach a game that is at the very worst decent.

(Also, posting dunk on the codex)
But he's right though. Twitcher isn't really a good game for replaying. I bought it on GOG and planned to replay before starting the second one. When I left Kaer Morhen I started to remember Geralt running back and forth in the swamp, the boredom, the clickfest. Uninstalled, got a save from a fellow codexer and went directly to the sequel.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
DraQ said:

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I played Witcher 1 at release, and got quite far into it. I never finished it, but I enjoyed it at its time.

I'd say it just hasn't aged all that well, that's all.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Just reinstalled Witcher 1 for another playthrough while waiting for my new rig show up and be able to run Witcher 2 in all of its glory. Get the 1.5 patch. It removes all DRM.

Prologue was rather wooden. Enviroments still look nice but voice acting is crap and so are character animations. Just started chapter 1 and laughed my ass off. The scene were the kid survives the dogs has everyone standing around talking about how much they want to help the kid. While the kid lies alone on the ground in the back. It's unintentional but hilariously cold. Anyway, the enviroment and art direction are top notch. Very atmospheric. Combat is lame though. Like the folk feel and am enjoying it.

1eyedking

Erudite
Play it with polish voice-over. It's a world of difference.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom