Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So, I finally bought Raptor: Call of the Shadows...

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I always wanted to have the full version and thanks to a GOG sale it was finally in a sensible price. It's nice to have it, but for some weird reason I get that horrible feeling that something is wrong...

That there are way too few bullets on screen...

DraQ

Arcane
title.gif

:love:

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I have the same problem with Tyrian.

I wish someone would make a cross between Raptor and bullet hell shooters.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Tyrian is not as good as it was several years ago... at the time i loved it and now... it's boring for me :|

Pegultagol

Erudite
I recall Raptor just because of how it was one of the first shareware titles that I played almost religiously and how the upgrade system based on your performance in the preceding missions snared me into some kind of loot envy. It really spoke to the consoletard in me, and the following games of similar ilk (not that I found too many on SNES or others) did not compare with my fond nostalgia of the title.

Also how it had an easter egg (probably aside from a few more that I did not get) where the title music was changed into some weird happy birthday song when it was the anniversary of the company's founding.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Ah, I played it for some time and it's an excellent game. While there is much less bullets on the screen than in bullet hell shooters, the aircraft is much less responsive, so it kinda evens out.

Anyway, I love the atmosphere of this game. The music, the cutscenes and the designs, especially the player's aircraft.
Also, I like how the player is a mercenary working for a corporation called Dark Corp XD .

Pegultagol said:
It really spoke to the consoletard in me, and the following games of similar ilk (not that I found too many on SNES or others) did not compare with my fond nostalgia of the title.
It's not nostalgia. It's simply a great game. A true work of art.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Konjad said:
Tyrian is not as good as it was several years ago... at the time i loved it and now... it's boring for me :|

Get the fuck out :x I finished it not longer than 2 months ago and it's still awesome.

Raptor is also Fucking Awesome, but it's vastly different than Tyrian. Tyrian is nerdy, arcadey, colourful and jolly, while Raptor is grimdark and gritty.

DraQ

Arcane
Darth Roxor said:
Konjad said:

Get the fuck out :x I finished it not longer than 2 months ago and it's still awesome.

Raptor is also Fucking Awesome, but it's vastly different than Tyrian. Tyrian is nerdy, arcadey, colourful and jolly, while Raptor is grimdark and gritty.

I'd say nerdy, arcadey silly style suits nerdy, arcadey, silly games with floaty powerups and pattern attacking enemies better. Tyrian made it an art form.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Raptor was fucking awesome. Really loved that game as a kid - I think it was one of my first SHMUPs, too, together with Major Stryker.

zeitgeist

Magister

Tyrian is definitely my favorite PC shootemup. The graphics, the music, and the level variety still haven't been surpassed in any PC genre title I've heard of, and I doubt they ever will be.

If anyone's interested in using it for anything, Daniel Cook, the person responsible for the awesome pixel art in Tyrian (who - surprise surprise - ended up making casual iPhone/Kindle games...), released most of the sprites and tiles for free on his website, as well as some art from two other games that never got finished - Hard Vacuum and Sinistar. All three games share a very similar Amiga-like visual style, and the art is practically interchangeable with minimum adjustments needed.

zeitgeist

Magister
DraQ said:
zeitgeist said:
*beta screenshot*
:x
I only posted that one because I like the pilot portrait in the corner, which they removed from the final version for some reason. Would've been nice if it stayed and had some animations that played when you picked up a data cube or turned into static when your energy dropped too low etc.

Also, about Raptor: what I missed the most in that game was a non-linear weapon upgrade system. I mean, it's there in theory, since it does have a weapon shop, but it's always very clear which weapon is superior to which, leading to one optimal loadout at all times, and saving up for specific upgrades at specific levels. Whereas in Tyrian there was not only a greater variety of weapons but the differences between them were a bit fuzzier too, so it was more of a question of which loadout was optimal for your specific playstyle.

praetor

Arcane
back in my megadrive days, i was always a great fan of this little game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMg9geNyP3A

it's way too easy and short (last time i replayed it on an emulator a couple of years ago i think i finished it in an hour or so..) but it has great graphics and awesome music (my favorite in the genre)

DraQ

Arcane
zeitgeist said:
Whereas in Tyrian there was not only a greater variety of weapons but the differences between them were a bit fuzzier too, so it was more of a question of which loadout was optimal for your specific playstyle.
:love:

This.

There were few weapons that could be considered universal rape engines, sidekicks, while easier to divide into tiers, also formed several distinct paths depending on what you wanted your sidekick to do, even shields, despite maintaining simple hierarchy of power, had some nuances - solar shields recharged without draining your main energy level which could be a lifesaver.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
What the fuck? What the fuck!?
All my weapons are gone. Gone!
I (barely) finished the sixth wave in the Bravo sector, saved and quit the game. Then I have reloaded and all my weapons are gone! Gone! What the fuck? Is it some kind of bug or is it possible to lose weapons due to severe damage or something like that?

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Ok, thanks. I was worried that it was some kind of a bug. Now I can continue playing it without fear of corrupt save games and stuff like that.

Anyway, two things that kinda pissed me off:
1. It's not mentioned in the manual. It's mentioned only in the in-game help, in the fucking hints section.
2. It's not the first time I lost all my special weapons - previously, I lost them after playing through the training mode where I have lost all my weapons after going through 5 stages. Fuck.
The fucking manual said that I will retain all my weapons after finishing the training mode. It turned out that I don't. Worse, the in-game help explicitly states that one loses all the weapons except machine gun. What the fuck?
It's like the worst documented game I've ever played and it's a fucking shoot em up.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom