Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So, I just finished playing NWN...

Rulion

Liturgist
Warning, spoilers below.

And I liked it. I was addicted to leveling up. I liked it all the way until the end were it goes to a cutscene and doesn't let me find out what the hell happened to Aribeth, whom I had just spend the last 4 Chapters trying to roleplay sex with. We had a nice little chat in her cell, Lord Nasher was still unsure about how to deal with her, my bard chick was all over me, I had just committed fucking genocide - and then it spews some shit about new heroes and new adventures and rebuilding, and it's over.

Hoping for more story in the mods that came bundled with the game, I opened up Hordes of the Underdark and now I'm a bitch-ass little student with all my kick-ass equipment from the first story? Talk about an anti-climax : \ What happened to everyone? I demand to know, even if you need to lie to me.

Sarvis

Erudite
Umm... Shadows of Undrendtide is not a sequel to NWN.

Hordes of the Underdark, however, is a sequel to Shadows of Undrendtide.

Rulion

Liturgist
Yeah, that's what I mean. I didn't pay attention to the name of the module when I clicked on it - I just selected the next one down.

ixg

Erudite
Hordes of the Underdark is the one I enjoyed the most of the three.

Xi

Arcane
What class?

I'm working through the first chapter atm with a Wizard class. I have played through the game before, but it's been a long time. I also have the first expansion but not the second, so I am looking forward to diving into that one. Not the best roleplaying out there, but still an interesting game with cool D&D mechanics.

I'm priming myself for NWN2 of course. Otherwise I doubt I would have givin it another shot.

Here is to hoping that NWN 2 doesn't suck. Cheers!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Yes! A (mostly) positive NWN threa don the Codex (for now).

And, oh, HOTU will show what happened to Aribeth.

Texas Red

Whiner
SoU was the best! It had pretty good dialogs with different outcomes at first but then ended up in meaningless hack-n-slash.

HotU was annoying with all of its ridiculous uber gear. And thank the gods that Bioware cared eneugh and didnt make a single battle in there difficult. Yay!

Truth to be told I liked the first campaign of NWN the most. It brings back nice memories from a much simpler time.

hoochimama

Liturgist
God knows I tryed to get to the end of the OC, it takes a special kind of person to be able to stomach that kind of crap. I salute the shit foragers.

Sarvis

Erudite
The Walkin' Dude said:
SoU was the best! It had pretty good dialogs with different outcomes at first but then ended up in meaningless hack-n-slash.

HotU was annoying with all of its ridiculous uber gear. And thank the gods that Bioware cared eneugh and didnt make a single battle in there difficult. Yay!

Truth to be told I liked the first campaign of NWN the most. It brings back nice memories from a much simpler time.

I remembe rthe last battle being pretty tough, unless of course you took some of the options. OMG CHOICES AND CONSEQUENCES!

JrK

Prophet
Binary said:
HotU sucks: a classic dungeon romp with kiddy puzzles, a bad engine[I said defensive casting dammit!], bad AI [no Sharwyn, you can't cast spells in HEAVY ARMOR] and lack of a good athmosphere[omfz the underdark! look I can kill all those drow with a flick of my wrist!].

Fixxered.

Jed

Cipher
SarVolourn said:
I remembe rthe last b;attle bei ngpretty tough, unless ;of course y ou took so;;me of the optio ns. LOL CHOICES AND CONSEQUENCE;S!! R00FLES!!
Also fixed.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Oh SNAP!

1. HOTU - Awesome game. While ph@t lewt is beyond ridiculous; everything esle makes up for it. The final has a billion different endings, and there are actual choices and cosnequences that effect not only the final battle but the after math as well.

2. NWN OC - Underrated. Sold story, characetrs, and role-playing. Combat was good; but depending what equipment you used and how much much fun you have with everrrest and respawn and teelport; yoru challenge might vary.

3. SOU - Ch1 was great. Ch2 was ok. Ch3 was argh.....

suibhne

Erudite
I just started replaying SoU again, a few days ago, mostly because I reinstalled NWN so I could try Darkness Over Daggerford. All I can say is that the interface is far worse than I remembered. And I don't mean the radial menu, which could be better but at least is usable - I mean the entire rest of the interface.

Texas Red

Whiner
suibhne said:
I just started replaying SoU again, a few days ago, mostly because I reinstalled NWN so I could try Darkness Over Daggerford. All I can say is that the interface is far worse than I remembered. And I don't mean the radial menu, which could be better but at least is usable - I mean the entire rest of the interface.

What is this with people and NWN's interface? I never found it even slightly bad.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Dialogue windows are a tiny box in the upper left corner of the screen that doesn't scale appropriately to the game's resolution.

Annoying and irrelevant messages are spammed continously in the bottom of the screen informing you that you are in a PvP area while in single-player.

The automatic building culling is extremely annoying as there is nothing more silly than watching a building lose its rooftop when you move your mouse, while using no culling will result in countless times of not being able to see your character.

While the driving mode was certainly appreciated, it was weird and tedious to use. They should've added official support for the Camera Hack mod and let players choose how they want to view things, instead of borking the mod with updates.

The constant glowing aura of active NPC's and objects were a huge eyesore.

Later updates borked proper VSYNC, which rendered the game unplayable to me.

Bah, there's tons more stuff but I can't be arsed to type it out now.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
WOW!

Talka bout making up shit, and making mountains out of molehills.

Keep up the good work. :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom