Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So I'm trying out NWN

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Both are RPGs and is a valid comparison. And who said anything about hate? Digging barrels, opening random doors, breaking chests with +1 cold dmg weapons - that's what's wrong with NWN. There is exploration of the city, but most offers pointless rewards. This is the kind of 'shit interactivity' that VD is aiming to cut and succeeded IMO. Cut the fluff. Only compulsive kleptomaniacs would bash through every doors in NWN for such a pitiful reward.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Non affordance has it's role in life. Having every option be handed to you on a plate is ... too easy.

Granted Darklands & Lone wolf & Fabled lands did it too, and those are some of my favorite games ... but they hid their options in other ways too - deep option trees for instance - (besides I prefer the adventure approach to interactivity of a QFG or Bloodnet - not even Torment satisfied the craving for puzzles).

<- player "skill" RPGHeretic

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
The thing is, Zoltan Gonda's modules (Tortured Hearts 1 and 2) actually managed to reconcile me with this turd...

waywardOne

Arcane
While discussing how shitty NWN was outside of the toolset, keep in mind that the guy responsible is the same one that's going to enhance BG.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Wonderful. I can look forward to Awesome Voice Acting(tm) already.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
NWN was something you played for the 1% of multiplayer servers that didn't suck. Disregard the SP modules, theyr'e just a glorified tech demo for the toolset.

Revenant

I think you would find many P&P D&D players who would disagree with you. Imagine a roguish adventure set in a sprawling city for a solo thief. Or the adventures of a roaming scoundrel solo bard. Or a solo paladin's holy quest to redeem his transgressions. D&D does not necessarily mean party based gameplay.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Funny, i thought how un-immersive is that corpses disappear 10 seconds after combat in front of you (even ultima fucking 7 did it better ffs).
Memory limitations, those characters hog up quite a bit, it's why you have to run over triggers to spawn creatures into the level (preferably not where you can actually see them fade in).

And a D&D game without party combat.
What about all the solo adventures? Here on the Codex people solo Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale, so what's the problem with going solo in NWN?
The campaign has to be tailored for a specific class or it winds up a mess that tries to accommodate being completable by all of them.

Plus soloing a game balanced for a party requires a greater deal of understanding and skill.

NWN was something you played for the 1% of multiplayer servers that didn't suck. Disregard the SP modules, theyr'e just a glorified tech demo for the toolset.

Tech demos are supposed to be good at showing off something other than how simple it is to make large areas with lots of enemies and meaningless loot everywhere.

Shadenuat

Arcane
NWNs sole purpose was to let Stefan Gagne create his HexCoda and Elegia/Extrucio Eternum.
Also that thief/rape module.

Revenant

Has anyone played on 3 Towns? Worth a try? Is it still alive? I only recently bought a PC that can fluently run NWN and wouldn't mind playing online a bit.

There were many cool single player modules, enough to make the game worth it IMO. You just have to find them.

Dele

Liturgist
I have wasted over 2000 hours to this game according to xfire, mostly singleplayer custom modules. The problem im having is that i've played through pretty much every decent singleplayer module i can find on nwnvault and i keep searching for them hidden gems in the hall of fame list.

This game has provided more playing time than any other singleplayer rpg i've played, and the best modules around are a ton better than anything that gets released in the 'AAA' CRPG market for some time now.

My nwn 1 folder is weighing at ~50gb with all the custom content i have and i reinstalled the game two years ago, dang.

Are there any decent multiplayer servers codexers are playing at?

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
I have wasted over 2000 hours to this game according to xfire, mostly singleplayer custom modules. The problem im having is that i've played through pretty much every decent singleplayer module i can find on nwnvault and i keep searching for them hidden gems in the hall of fame list.

So... Could you provide us with your top ten ?
Personally i only played Tortured Hearts 2 (awesome non linear adventures with new stats, skills, good writing and classical music) and Prophet (would have been good had it been a novel ; as it is it's just a linear chore).

Dele

Liturgist

So... Could you provide us with your top ten ?
Personally i only played Tortured Hearts 2 (awesome non linear adventures with new stats, skills, good writing and classical music) and Prophet (would have been good had it been a novel ; as it is it's just a linear chore).

I dont have a top 10 list, the modules i prefer have been mentioned by other users in this or other threads, but some of which i can remember right now are:

Prophet (it's best played multiplayer, didn't mind the linearity that much) and all other modules by Baldecaran, all are set in the same universe.
Tortured Hearts 1 & 2 and Citadel for open-world non-linear goodness
Shadowlords, Dreamcatcher, Demon campaigns
Sanctum of the Archmage(final parts still in the making) http://andarian.com/TheSanctum/
Anything by stefan gagne(hexcoda etc.)
Almraiven & Shadewood
All modules by Hugie http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=User.EntriesListing&id=47193
AL 1, 2 and 3(part 3 is unfinished) http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=User.EntriesListing&id=677

And a ton of others i've forgotten, most of them are largely linear if i remember correctly, tortured heart and citadel being the exceptions.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ah, Shadowlords, Dreamcatcher and Demon.

A journey from being an errand boy for a village church out in the middle of nowhere, to becoming the almighty God-King of a city in the Planes. Now that's how you do a "Rise To Power", Bioware.

Falkner

Thread Decliner
Patron
Wasteland 2
You could also try out Maugeter, a fairly linear but fun module with a good sense of progression. Couldn't finish it because my install of NWN was completely fucked and crashed consistently at a certain point, but I had my fun playing this.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2

This game has provided more playing time than any other singleplayer rpg i've played, and the best modules around are a ton better than anything that gets released in the 'AAA' CRPG market for some time now.

My nwn 1 folder is weighing at ~50gb with all the custom content i have and i reinstalled the game two years ago, dang.

:thumbsup:
Same here. I'd prefer such modules on a solid turn-based combat engine like ToEE's, of course, but taking what I can get, I've had a huge, huge amount of fun with NWN that'll always have a special place in my heart.

GordonHalfman

Scholar
I heard someone say that Bioware were planning on just selling the toolset until they realised with about 6 months to go that no one would buy it without a game attached. Seems plausible to me given how rushed and shit the OC was.

Anyone remember the day 1 henchmen AI? You'd be in a fight that was going perfectly fine with the enemy nearly dead and then you'd just drop below 50% health. Your henchy would stop attacking and run in and start chain casting cure minor wounds spells that heal 1pt and get themselves killed by AOOs.

And I don't why people praise the dumbspeak, IIRC it had little effect on quest outcomes, most of the time you just said the same things in a caricature of retard speak.

-I can't believe Aribeth expects me to trust a retard with this crucial duty!

-How be me can complete game den?

-Oh yeah fine, you can do the fucking quest

Kitako

Arcane
I thought the Aeilund saga series was great.
Agreed. In fact the only module where I could play and enjoy an high level monk.

I'll add Prophet series to the suggestions, as I did in every other NWN thread on the Codex, because is just one of the best thing I ever played, even outside the NWN world. But it's linear, so C&C fanatics beware. A lot of destiny related mindfuck to be had.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom