Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So is NWN2 at least worth $24.99?

Woetohice

Scholar
__

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
LOL

For making me laugh; I'll be honest. No, it's not worth 1 million dollars. It's worth $25 dollars for most anyopne. It's worth $50 for those who like its style of gameplay ie. Aurora/IE/KOTOR.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
It certainly is. I'm enjoying it quite a bit, and I hated NWN1's OC. It feels very similar in play and style to KOTOR 2.

And yes, this is Volly-bait.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
It feels similiar to KOTOR2 style of play because KOTOR2 has similair style and play to NWN1.

L0L0L0L0L0L0L0LLLIPOP

WittyName

Scholar
Nice find. No in-store pickup, though. Wonder if it's at the same price in the stores so I can bypass the shipping costs.

KreideBein

Scholar
I think it is. I got a Best Buy ad in the paper today, and the same price was advertised.

Norfleet

Volourn said:
It feels similiar to KOTOR2 style of play because KOTOR2 has similair style and play to NWN1.
Drawn out in some places, entirely missing other places, and generally badly done?

Texas Red

Whiner
Woetohice said:
Cool, I was gonna wait until this game got to bargain bin prices (~$19.99) anyways given that my PC is less than stellar and the performance problems some others said they had with this game, but this price is close enough.

Its actually the uber computers that are having the problems. You can decently run NWN 2 with a below recommended rig(as I). And there have been already 3 patches that, from what I hear, increase the FPS quite significantly.

cutterjohn

Cipher
Thanks for the tipoff! (I never read the junk mail, and have been too busy to checkout OctopusOverlords.com bargain bin board since yesterday...)

In any event, my local WorstBuy had the DVD version of NWN2 in stock, which I didn't realize until I got home and found only 1 disk in the box which surprised me as I had assumed that it was the CDROM version as the WorstBuy website states that the DVD version is not available in stores(it is).

Merry Christmas to me, I guess. (I too was going to wait for bargain bin as the prior Fry's $36 was a little high, and I've still got NWN1 to finish(still slogging my way through the OC before I move on to the other goodies for it I've got expansion plus premium modules), Half Life 2(havingfun with it, but CS:S is disappointing basically original CS with a few token physics plus up to 64 players/server, Titan Quest(kind of meh after playing Divine Divinity alot, and Divine Divinity to finish(1/4-1/2 way through), plus I've got the G3 demo... But for $26 and change after tax, I decided to bite, so many games, so little time...)

The US version has a nice big fat manual of 177 pages, which I missed with NWN1 as I got the Diamond edition... Anyways, I think that I need to go multitask my gaming some more after NWN2 install & updates...

Thanks again for the tip.

Codextisement? (My old Fry's post was labelled a "codextisement", not sure if that's good or not though...)

KreideBein

Scholar
cutterjohn said:
In any event, my local WorstBuy

How big were the lines at yours? I was going to get a laptop there (for once they actually had an extremely good deal on one), but when I got there at 4am, there were already a good 2,000 people waiting in line.

cutterjohn

Cipher
KreideBein said:
cutterjohn said:
In any event, my local WorstBuy

How big were the lines at yours? I was going to get a laptop there (for once they actually had an extremely good deal on one), but when I got there at 4am, there were already a good 2,000 people waiting in line.
I got to the one that I went to c. 2:20p EST. They had about 20 checkouts open, and 10-15 people in line when I came in. Same when I got in line. Their parking lot was packed though, so I might've gotten lucky with my timing as NWN2 was the only thing that I got.

(Next notebook for me will be a Macbook pro when my pismo(upgraded to 1GHz G3/640M but has crappy ATI Rage Pro Mobility 8M :( ) and ibooks (G3/500 384M) croak or just get to be too far behind to really be useful any more... Also I'm a cheap bastard, so I'll probably hem and haw for about a year while looking to see if they still have the good model change deals before I buy one I also really don't like that notebook GPUs aren't swappable... I got the Pismo for about 33% of the original price direct from Apple top end model when they came out with the Titanium G4 notebook...)

Texas Red

Whiner
177 pages in a manual? Damn, I got this Nordic version or whatever. It has overall 40 pages in 3 different languages, so that means about 10 pages of worthless information.

"lo2 javler noob," as they say in Swedish CS.

Zomg

Arbiter
Is there any picture forming of whether or not the game sold decently yet?

Crazy_Vasey

Novice
The Walkin' Dude said:
177 pages in a manual? Damn, I got this Nordic version or whatever. It has overall 40 pages in 3 different languages, so that means about 10 pages of worthless information.

"lo2 javler noob," as they say in Swedish CS.

The UK manual isn't much better if that's any consolation. 34 pages and if you subtract the credits pages and other junk it's maybe 25 pages of actual instructional content.

cutterjohn

Cipher
34/40 pages: geez that sucks. It's like the Gothic II Gold copy that I bought last year. It came with, literally, a pamphlet that just told idiots how to install it and reqs. The real manual, like most Gold, etc. additions was just a PDF file on the CDROM/DVD.

Did Atari publish it Europe too?

(My box was a really uberly cheapo small cardboard box though w/DVD in paper sleeve. About the size of a DVD case, and 3 in depth, not the nice plastic jobbies that I've seen some other games come in, e.g. KotOR, Titan Quest, etc.)

I wonder what the Canadian release is like, as they'd have to include French in the manual... (The US release was 177 pages of English only, and page 177 was printed on the inside of the back cover...)

Did anyone get a US collector's edition? Did they make one? What was in it?

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Zomg said:
Is there any picture forming of whether or not the game sold decently yet?

Very well according to feargus on the official forums (no i'm not digging a link out for you)

(My box was a really uberly cheapo small cardboard box though w/DVD in paper sleeve. About the size of a DVD case, and 3 in depth, not the nice plastic jobbies that I've seen some other games come in, e.g. KotOR, Titan Quest, etc.)

I got the CE, no big manual, just a fat ass box, which inlcuded the normal dvd packaging.

cutterjohn

Cipher
Sylvanus said:
If keeping out filler like that reduces the price then I am all for it. If I need help then I can just look at the readme or use the PDF manual they usually put on those things now. I have enough trouble finding a place to put all that crap anyhow.
Packaging for games costs <$3/unit, and the publisher/devs usually "eat" that cost. The next to REALLY cheapass publishers/devs will go with black & white manuals as that lowers the cost even more. I'm surprised that some of them aren't so cheap to go for B&W sil screenings on the CD/DVDs too as multicolor on the CD label also drives up the cost.

(Truly cheapass publishers go the pamphlet(if any) and PDF manual.)

All I can say is that for $26 I was happy to get it with a manual(most likely worstbuy was hoping that I'd buy something else too and took a pretty decent hit on their profit from NWN2), but for $30+ I'd damned well better be getting a VERY good manual unless it's a FPS, which doesn't need a manual.

Zomg

Arbiter
I'm glad it's selling. I'd like to see the hinted-at extra-planar expansion.

Hey, that makes me think, did most people get exposed to the D&D planes setting for the first time via PS:T? I had gotten the 1st edition AD&D books and Monster Manuals as hand me downs, and I had seen the planar setting and demons and devils and modrons and so on before ever seeing a Planescape book. Does PS:T owe any of its legacy to giving that stuff to people for the first time, sort of like how Shadowrun gets a lot of credit for popularizing cyberpunk?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"According to the NPD group, NWN2 is selling rather well, with the DVD edition in 4th and the CD edtion in 8th."

Only 4th, and 8th? That's disapointing. It should be #1.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom