Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So this Grimoire game

Lumpy

Arcane
Looks interesting. Who's making it and how's it coming along? Any release date?

Lumpy

Arcane
Really, I don't get this shit. Of all the things the smartest man alive could be doing, he's making a bloody dungeon crawler? Why would he even do that? For whom? He hates most people. Plus, why does he keep delaying it, if it's almost finished and the world will be wiped out any day now?

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
For himself. Cleve wants to have something to play in his secret underground bunker when nuclear winter strikes. Being the sole survivor of the human race is quite boring.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Basically... you can't. Maybe you could ask Cleve, but you'd have to be a pure Aryan Übermensch and live in a bunker before he talks to you.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Grimoire will see the light as soon as Cleve's apocalypse takes place. The guy's admitted to not being able to finish anything. If his beloved bunker is nothing but a few pipes put down on the bottom of a hole, imagine what grimoire is at this point. It will never ever be finished, mark my words.

Fenril

Scholar
Why would anyone want to play a shitty Wizardry 7 clone?

I have a feeling grimoire is the eldest private joke of the codex but the screenshots I saw on some webpage once still make want to puke in disgust.

Texas Red

Whiner
The funny part is that Cleve, who is making an uber RPG, doesn't cum to the Codex for RPG discussion. He comes here only for GD.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Cleve did a bunch of c64 stuff back in the day (which incidently is why Jasede wants to suck his cock.) however since then all he's been doing is spread tinfoil hat shit around and dig holes.

MaskedMartyr

Liturgist
Can't believe I read that article, I'm too new to codex lore.

Seriously though "burrito primates" is pretty funny.

cleve said:
IM DA UBERMENSCH BITCH

I'm starting to believe he's actually just writing a race behavior manual for post-war civilization, using RPG mechanics.

Fenril

Scholar
I can understand liking the combat and exploration side of Wiz 8 which was the only one I tried, interface is ok, character development is good.

I can imagine how a game with all these in first person perspective can be good, but when I think about Wiz 8 I always remember how the generic sci fi meets generic fantasy setting plus the childish humor and atmosphere of the gameworld pissed me off.

You do not feel immersed, the world doesnt grow on you, you get a few good details with the environment but the setting and gameworld are major turn offs for me, its too nonsensical.

I think overall I prefer Might and Magic VI and VII alot better, although wizardry has better TB combat and character development.

To be fair I never finished Wiz 8, I only played so far as the treetpop area if I recall, but I dont think doing a full playthrough would change my opinion about it much, I could be wrong.

Keldryn

Arcane
I think that Grimoire is scheduled to release alongside Duke Nukem Forever.

I'm not entirely convinced that it isn't just a big (and not very funny) joke.

mondblut

Arcane
Fenril said:
I can imagine how a game with all these in first person perspective can be good, but when I think about Wiz 8 I always remember how the generic sci fi meets generic fantasy setting plus the childish humor and atmosphere of the gameworld pissed me off.

Childish humor? That's more a M&M area.

Either way, Wizardry 8 is a wrong Wizardry already. Seeing enemies on horizon and running away from them in realtime is an improper Wizardry. And it lacks Bradley's pretentious philosophical rants, which made Wiz7 so fun and which Grimoire imitates to an extent.

Of course Grimoire is inferior to Wiz 6-7 and M&M3-5, but it is much better than any of their clones, both contemporary and modern (stuff for mobile platforms like Undercroft or Legacy - Redshift's, not Microprose's). Of course, for a generation which thinks RPGs were invented by Black Isle, those games might seem awful, just like Black Isle RPGs seem awful to Oblivion generation. But for those who were around during earlier era, Grimoire is a very solid imitation.

...come to think of it, the game could easily become a blockbuster on smartphones/handhelds/whatever. But that would likely mean another 10 years of recoding it :D

Slenkar said:
theres been plenty of screenshots but not much in the way of descriptions of gameplay

Well, if you played Wizardry 6, gameplay is pretty much identical (not Wiz7 since there is very little free-roaming in Grimoire, the areas are tightly sequenced).

Fenril

Scholar
Wizardry 8 doesnt have crappy cheesy childish humor? Hell its not just the humor, it is cheesy and absurd even when it does not attempt to be funny which is far worse.

Damn you dont need to get 8 hours into the game to have a microwave explode and see a dozen of silly remarks by your npcs.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Lumpy knows how to troll with style , i'll give him that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom