Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Something I never understood about the Master. (Fallout)

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Alright, so I get the holotape from the BHS scribe telling me that Super Mutants become sterile during the process of the mutation. I go to the Master, present the info, pick the correct dialog options... and then he kills himself ala nuke.

Umm, couple issues:

1- I'm sure there is an explanation that I just don't remember but how was it the Master didn't catch that little flaw in his plan? Surely he would have realized that he'd run out of humans and would need more Mutants through other means...

2- Why didn't he say "lulz thank you i go back, alter virus, now killz you" or something other than "i guves up, go run i nuke my shit :( :(". Was he truly that mentally unstable, did his conscious catch up with him by that point, or was there some other detail I missed?

Renegen

Arcane
The conversation is only unlocked if you are really smart I think. The reason why he kills himself is the shock of the revelation. So basically, you were.. smarter than him. He didn't think of it.

The deeper meaning behind his actions is quite simple: Despite of his "evolution" he still suffered from some glaringly obvious human flaws, the first and foremost flaw being arrogance... and when such a man is faced with such a vast failure then he can see but one way out.

But... it would help if that response was only triggered AFTER you had destroyed the Military Base, because then he would have no way of altering the virus. But then again... he never knew how to alter it in the first place, and the mutant creation was always a hit-and-miss type of thing. Hmm.

Well, those are my thoughts. Enjoy them, muthafugga.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
1 - It simply never occurred to him. He's been doing this for some years but not to a point where he would notice that there is no procreation taking place, and none of his lackeys think to point it out to him. So, he just never thought of it.

2 - At the moment he finds out he's in a kind of shock. His obsession just falls apart before his eyes and he figures, "why go on". He's also quite easy to get back on top, honestly, the Vault Dweller can suggest he go back to continue experimenting and the Master will happily jump on it, showing he's just unhinged at that moment.

But-but! He never had any real control over the FEV in the first place! He just kind of dipped stuff into it for varying amounts of time. Heck, if the Vault Dweller goes through the process he ends up getting killed, which just shows what a hit-and-miss procedure "dipping" is.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Stereotypical Villain said:
But-but! He never had any real control over the FEV in the first place! He just kind of dipped stuff into it for varying amounts of time. Heck, if the Vault Dweller goes through the process he ends up getting killed, which just shows what a hit-and-miss procedure "dipping" is.

Does the FEV ending actually state/show that ? From I remember, it just shows the wrapped VD being dipped in and then switches over to the vault invasion.

The video you are shown kind of proves it.

The Dweller is dropped into the tank, he mutates... but dies, his limp hand shown sinking into the depths of the tank. That and there are ingame stuff in Fallout 1 (and 2) which states that dipping was always a hit-and-miss kind of thing.

DragoFireheart

The Dweller is dropped into the tank, he mutates... but dies, his limp hand shown sinking into the depths of the tank. That and there are ingame stuff in Fallout 1 (and 2) which states that dipping was always a hit-and-miss kind of thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfyqlMBeQFU

Good catch! I never thought it implied that the FEV killed the Vault Dweller.

Multi-headed Cow

Can I romance The Master and fuck his quivering flesh-hallway? Only with proper protection from psykers, naturally. :obviously:

Luzur

Good Sir
does he even have a hole left?

maybe that flesh hallway is his ass, and he lives in there, his own ass.

Phelot

Arcane

I don't think that's at all conclusive. So he drops his hand back in, so what? Does it indicate anywhere exactly how long the process takes? If anything, you can see that his hand and arm is getting all bumpy and shit so he's obviously changing.

:iwanttobelieve:

phelot said:

I don't think that's at all conclusive. So he drops his hand back in, so what? Does it indicate anywhere exactly how long the process takes? If anything, you can see that his hand and arm is getting all bumpy and shit so he's obviously changing.

Shut up, Sandro. You'll never match Aislinn.

There are other ingame sources which states how random the effects of FEV are... All that the Master really did to the process was that he calculated how long it'd PROBABLY take for somebody to mutate which means that there is a chance that the will be botched (IE: The subject dies).

The Master is nothing but a hoax. He never mastered the virus, all he ever did was throw shit into it and counted how long it'd take to get the best results. Emphasis on the PROBABLY.

phelot said:

Shut up, Sandro. You'll never match Aislinn.

There are other ingame sources which states how random the effects of FEV are... All that the Master really did to the process was that he calculated how long it'd PROBABLY take for somebody to mutate which means that there is a chance that the will be botched (IE: The subject dies).

The Master is nothing but a hoax. He never mastered the virus, all he ever did was throw shit into it and counted how long it'd take to get the best results. Emphasis on the PROBABLY.

Very true. No matter if he had beyond human intelligence, he simply doesn't have the knowlodge base that pre-war scientists had.

Also, the fact that Super Mutants are sterile means that the Master's plan is useless. Totally. Without mutant reproduction, all he has is a immense army of super-human dumbfucks led by a small elite cadre of super-intelligent officers. If The Master's objectives were merely to conquer the Wasteland, all he needed was to dip all of Vault 13 and steamroll everyone from Baja California to Vancouver in a few years. Only the BOS and the Enclave had a better army, but BOS didn't have his numbers and didn't know where to attack and Enclave would't leave their rig until some decades later. There's a dialogue option where you tell The Master that you're with the BOS and they're invading his base, so he better let you leave. You can actually see he got pretty scared there and let you leave... then he opens dialogue again, says that you're lying and opens fire.

Without reproducing Super Mutants, his master race would never evolve. EVER. They would be eternally the Super Mutants we know, never changing, never evolving. Essentially, this means all his effort is useless.

Does that really imply VD died? The video shows him resisting for some reason (didn't he willingly join the Master?), struggling against his bonds, then he gets dipped, resists a little more, and then stops. It could be that he died, or that he just completed the transition into a mutant (his hand was already green by the time).

Anyway. So in other words the Master is a freakish abomination with deluded plans of godhood foiled by his own ineptitude

sounds like your average jrpg villain (after he sheds his pretty boy disguise to show his true form)

nomask7 said:
If you've ever worked in a kindergarten, you've probably noticed how one child sometimes begins to chant something, such as "all bears are toys, all bears are toys", then other children will join in with him, so that after a while every child in the room is chanting, "all bears are toys, all bears are toys." You might put in, "No they are not. That one in the picture, for example." They would continue, "all bears are toys, all bears are toys."

trololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololol

That really happens, and quite often too. It's also exactly how adults in academia think and behave most of the time.

Higher Game said:
I was spanked and I turned out ok.

Eyeball

Arcane
The master doesn't realise the inherent obvious flaw in his plan because he's a pretty poorly written character and a big disappointment as a final boss in an otherwise decent game.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
yeah by the time fallout 1 was released we've usually had great final bosses in our rpgs

Guys, think about this for a moment... SV is actually contributing to a worthwhile discussion.

What... have... I become?

Anyway!

Does that really imply VD died?

Yes. Some ingame comments state that muties drag themselves up from the vat after they have achieved the... transformation, which only takes a couple of moments to achieve. The Master spent days in the tank, but he was an extreme case, so showing the Dweller mutate into a super mutie... and then sink to the bottom... implies that he did not survive.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
The Brazilian Slaughter said:
There's a dialogue option where you tell The Master that you're with the BOS and they're invading his base, so he better let you leave. You can actually see he got pretty scared there and let you leave... then he opens dialogue again, says that you're lying and opens fire.
I believe that is unfinished content. There may have been plans for making the BOS attack the Master Base, but they never managed to make it, so kept the dialog only as a bluff.

DragoFireheart

\
Yes. Some ingame comments state that muties drag themselves up from the vat after they have achieved the... transformation, which only takes a couple of moments to achieve. The Master spent days in the tank, but he was an extreme case, so showing the Dweller mutate into a super mutie... and then sink to the bottom... implies that he did not survive.

Also considering the fact that you don't get to play as a Mutant and beat the shit out of the Overseer.

Multi-headed Cow

DragoFireheart said:
\

Also considering the fact that you don't get to play as a Mutant and beat the shit out of the Overseer.
Well that doesn't mean anything. It seems likely that many (If not most) people who got turned to super mutants were unwilling. It's strongly implied in Fallout New Vegas (I think both from Marcus and some of the other super mutants) that at least part of why the super mutants followed The Master was due to psychic bullshit. Obviously he couldn't just instantly mind control people or anything but I think it's mentioned somewhere how all the other super mutants felt a bit connected to him. Or maybe it was a combination of psychic bullshit and plain old cult indoctrination. Which means the vault dweller could only be one person.

118746.jpg

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
DragoFireheart said:
Alright, so I get the holotape from the BHS scribe telling me that Super Mutants become sterile during the process of the mutation. I go to the Master, present the info, pick the correct dialog options... and then he kills himself ala nuke.

Umm, couple issues:

1- I'm sure there is an explanation that I just don't remember but how was it the Master didn't catch that little flaw in his plan? Surely he would have realized that he'd run out of humans and would need more Mutants through other means...

2- Why didn't he say "lulz thank you i go back, alter virus, now killz you" or something other than "i guves up, go run i nuke my shit :( :(". Was he truly that mentally unstable, did his conscious catch up with him by that point, or was there some other detail I missed?

Shit bioware game has shit bioware story. News at 11.

Phelot

Arcane

No it doesn't. It merely states that your part in the story, as the player, is over. Perhaps VD died or perhaps he lived on. Maybe he was even one of the super mutants shown in the final assualt on the vault. We don't know, mutants all look the same. For some reason, you want it to be that VD dies, perhaps because you don't want to face the fact that VD turns into that which he fears the most and thus fights that which he has fought so hard to protect and yada yada yada

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom