Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Songs of Syx - City Builder/Grand Strategy game with Emphasis on Scale

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
Fun game, unfortunately goes into my 'too addicting' category. I could play this for weeks... going to uninstall while I can.

Highly recommend the free demo. It also took me 15 hours until the battle system came into play, until then it was pure city building.

oscar

Arcane
This is very good. It's moved leaps and bounds since the version I played about a year ago too.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
This is very good. It's moved leaps and bounds since the version I played about a year ago too.
Man I might have to get back into this if I have free time. Nobles had just come out last time I think.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Playing the demo right now, its Dwarf Fort tier in its UI awkwardness. I noticed it has mod support, are there any good ones to pick up that won't alter the core gameplay, but will help orient?

covr

Prophet
Patron
Anyone played latest beta? It seems that combat and battles has been revamped into even more Total War style. Not sure if dev included any extra changes except military-related ones.

TheFjordFox

Novice
Just want to say thank you very much for posting this! I reached out to the local psychic, and she told me it was likely my time would be consumed at an alarming rate by something new that appears in my life. She's never wrong! Either way, I'm off to hit some bongs with Bigfoot, so have a good one y'all!

deama

Prophet
Played this for several hours, "pretty good" but not quite for me due to having a tad too much management to my liking.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
I am so impressed with the music in this game. I guess they reached a kickstarter goal and were able to fund it.

How is the learning curve? If its steep, does it pay off to learn everything?

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Played this for several hours, "pretty good" but not quite for me due to having a tad too much management to my liking.
What got me to quit is how unintuitive it is to edit buildings, specifically adding a door to a big ass warehouse or something like that. In a game like DF or Rimworld, you can just delete a segment of wall to add a door. Here you have to edit the whole thing, or sometimes even delete and remake the whole thing, which is associated with a lot of time and labor and possibly resource waste.
The invasion system and combat in general is also less enjoyable than combat and raiding settlements in Rimworld.

The scale and themes are good, and it has potential.

None

Scholar
V63 - Tourism
Tourists will now visit the most polished version of Song of Syx yet.

Hello!

I'm finally done with the new patch. The patch is currently in the beta branch on steam. To enable it, right click the game -> properties -> betas. Select "ea V63". It might be unstable, but has been alpha tested. With it, I'm pretty happy about the city building experience of the game, and now feel ready to start on the world map and its mechanics that I've promised.

I kept notes this time!

Relatively large patch. This guy puts other devs to shame with how quickly he works. My interest was piqued after I heard him say something along the lines of "racism makes for a fun game mechanic" in an interview and he hasn't disappointed me yet.

covr

Prophet
Patron
I like his cozy update-related videos, even the sound is very retro and calming. You should all listen to the first minutes of the latest video, it's funny.

An interesting patch, no massive changes overall and, as he claims, the city building module is more or less complete so he can take care of world map, politics, etc.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
I'm getting filthy rich on mushrooms. I am exporting them for 76 per piece and they are growing in the wild EVERYWHERE. I wanted to set up a mining economy but I can import metal bars for 78 pp. Actually I can import everything as long as I keep picking up mushrooms from the ground.

actually, you are slowly becoming dependent on the mycelium master-being. For now, it sprouts up some mushrooms in your territory. Once you're wholly dependent on mushroom sales, it will start to make demands. "Oh, you want some truffles? I could double truffle production, if you sacrifice part of your population and let my mushrooms consume them."
That would be amazing if it was real. Actually in Axioms you do have stuff like that but I imagine it would be harder to do in a game like Syx that isn't pure map and menu.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
V63 - Tourism
Tourists will now visit the most polished version of Song of Syx yet.

Hello!

I'm finally done with the new patch. The patch is currently in the beta branch on steam. To enable it, right click the game -> properties -> betas. Select "ea V63". It might be unstable, but has been alpha tested. With it, I'm pretty happy about the city building experience of the game, and now feel ready to start on the world map and its mechanics that I've promised.

I kept notes this time!

Relatively large patch. This guy puts other devs to shame with how quickly he works. My interest was piqued after I heard him say something along the lines of "racism makes for a fun game mechanic" in an interview and he hasn't disappointed me yet.

The game is, moderately, simple to write code for and my man has like 100k sales. Probably gives you strong motivation to code new stuff. Also his reviews are 96%. Good stuff. I had to stop playing this game cause it was too good.

SmartCheetah

Arcane
It's really good, I agree. And he has a lot of ideas which are added at very fast pace. Plus, consider joining Song of Styx Discord - you can basicly see what he's working on right now. Dude is very active.

EDIT: sorry for weird typos. My phone had a huge brainfart.

Last edited:

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
It's really good, I agree. And he has a lot of ideas and keep adding them and very big pace. Plus, being on Discord - you can basicly see what he's working on right now. Dude is very active.
The only thing about SoS I wonder about is the war/politics due to the scale. Like you probably can't have a whole continent unless you start faking the other cities and stuff. But I always check in every few months to see how the stuff he does beyond raw citybuilding is going.

deama

Prophet
One of the issues I have with it is, even though it's a "big" city builder, it still divides things like how citie's skylines does it or sim city, you basically pick a starting zone and even though the world is way, way bigger than that zone, it's still constrained to that zone.

I'm hoping maybe in the future you can just pick "super zones" that are like 10x the size of the current ones.

Victor1234

Educated
One of the issues I have with it is, even though it's a "big" city builder, it still divides things like how citie's skylines does it or sim city, you basically pick a starting zone and even though the world is way, way bigger than that zone, it's still constrained to that zone.

I'm hoping maybe in the future you can just pick "super zones" that are like 10x the size of the current ones.
Builder games (from Theme Hospital to Prison Architect) usually solve that by letting you expand the starting zone by buying more land on the 4 edges.

i got sold on the game at first because it should had been "start as a tiny settlement, become a whole nation", which was a lie.
has military been changed? it was "there are opponents, field your army, but we won't tell where the enemy is going to be, so it'll spawn on the other side of the city and raze half of it and slaughterape your whole population while you dream of catching up at dead snail speed".

Axioms

Arcane
Developer

i got sold on the game at first because it should had been "start as a tiny settlement, become a whole nation", which was a lie.
has military been changed? it was "there are opponents, field your army, but we won't tell where the enemy is going to be, so it'll spawn on the other side of the city and raze half of it and slaughterape your whole population while you dream of catching up at dead snail speed".
Well I think a lot of this is just a processing issue right? The CPU can only handle so much. I do wonder how big you could get if you cut game speed. Realistically at the level SoS operates you could maybe simulate a full on province or something? But not a kingdom or empire.

deama

Prophet

Well I think a lot of this is just a processing issue right? The CPU can only handle so much. I do wonder how big you could get if you cut game speed. Realistically at the level SoS operates you could maybe simulate a full on province or something? But not a kingdom or empire.
It didn't seem like it was using much if at all of my CPU, and I have a ryzen 3600, you could probably double the zone size without much issue, even moreso if it's able to properly utilize multiple CPU cores.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer

It didn't seem like it was using much if at all of my CPU, and I have a ryzen 3600, you could probably double the zone size without much issue, even moreso if it's able to properly utilize multiple CPU cores.
Yeah if you can find an efficient multi-threading strategy I imagine you could really push things. You'd have to separate zones heavily though.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I haven't played this yet, but remember that Rimworld did expand this way. Originally you were constrained to your little settlement map. I haven't played Rimworld in a while, but now you can travel around a world map and attack other settlements, etc.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
This was a good game, gonna have to try it out again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom