Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sonic RPG infos

Lumpy

Arcane
That would actually be pretty awesome.

kris

Arcane

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
kris said:
Serious_Business said:
CrimsonAngel said:
Radisshu said:
Sovy Kurosei said:
Ren'Ai style dating system

Wait, what!?

Seconded.

sounds hot.

Shut up you decadent, vile personnage.

Seriously what the hell is going on here. What is this. What does this means. The fuck, guys.

I don't know Japanese, but i know this leads to furry sex.

Ren'ai is Japanese for romantic simulation, I believe. I don't even want to fucking know what this game's romantic sub-plots are like.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ren%27ai

Hory

Erudite
Fat Dragon said:
kris said:
Serious_Business said:
CrimsonAngel said:
Radisshu said:
Sovy Kurosei said:

Wait, what!?

Seconded.

sounds hot.

Seriously what the hell is going on here. What is this. What does this means. The fuck, guys.

Ren'ai is Japanese for romantic simulation, I believe. I don't even want to fucking know what this game's romantic sub-plots are like.

There's this game, True Love, it's actually a pretty good RPG.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I hate that game. Not only is it really hard to get the gay ending, it's also totally unspectacular and basically game over, despite the fact that the guy you end up with is frigging cute.

Fyz

Scholar
slipgate_angel said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI-V3Uw1b3U

O RLY?

Ohh wait, you ment PC, nevermind. ;;^.^

Are todays JRPGs any good? Note that i'm not expecting them to give a decent western-style Role-playing experience, just to have a decent story, well written characters, hidden weapons, skills to explore, the typical JRPG stuff.
Also, can anyone share some insight on that fabled Persona3 game or whatever it is called?

Sometimes i feel the urge to consolize myself, as i only enjoy old PC games anyway, but then i realize that console stuff would also bore me.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Fyz said:
Are todays JRPGs any good? Note that i'm not expecting them to give a decent western-style Role-playing experience, just to have a decent story, well written characters, hidden weapons, skills to explore, the typical JRPG stuff.
grab a nippon ichi game.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
odin sphere. not exactly an rpg, more a jump and run with xp/levels and crafting (let's plant some sheep). most (especially the ambient) animations in it look like cheap flash shit, though it doesn't stop the game from being fun and looking killertastic.

Müg

Scholar
Mamon said:
^^

No:

-Choose which attributes to increase when you level up: I don´t remember the last time I did this in a JRPG.
Tactical JRPGs do it all the time, including probably the most popular tactical series in Japan (no not Fire Emblem)

-
Dialog-trees: JRPGs dont use them, not even simple ones.
Yes they do.
-Sidequests: The article mentions sidequests, which will probably more in the WRPG fashion than in the japanese one. WRPGs are packed with sidequests, while in J-ones, for the most part, are an afterthought and mostly minigames.
Er, what? No. And it'll probably be more jrpg, since I'm pretty sure they're trying to emulate them with this title.

-The game will probably have some slight choices and consequences.
Of course it will. To the same degree that any jrpg with an affection system does. Or any dating sim, for that matter.

Section8

Cipher
Müg said:
Yes they do.

NPC: Those people are dying over there! Should we help them? (yes/no)

Player: No.

NPC: What are you talking about, we have to help them!

Player: Yes.

NPC: That's the spirit! I knew we could count on you, <player_name>!

Ah well. At least I can probably give that NPC an amusing name like "Hai2u"

OccupatedVoid

Arbiter
Section8 said:

QFTMFT

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
turn based Sonic? wtf is happening to the world ?!

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Hory said:
Fat Dragon said:
kris said:
Serious_Business said:
CrimsonAngel said:
Radisshu said:
Sovy Kurosei said:

Wait, what!?

Seconded.

sounds hot.

There's this game, True Love, it's actually a pretty good RPG.
Is it just me, or this quote graphically reminds me of Bart Simpson having a huge boner?
EDIT:
Oh, and it starts write there after this quote: ''I don't know Japanese, but i know this leads to furry sex.''

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Fyz said:
slipgate_angel said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI-V3Uw1b3U

O RLY?

Ohh wait, you ment PC, nevermind. ;;^.^

Also, can anyone share some insight on that fabled Persona3 game or whatever it is called?

Sometimes i feel the urge to consolize myself, as i only enjoy old PC games anyway, but then i realize that console stuff would also bore me.

Persona 3 is probably the best JRPG to come out in quite a while. Briefly speaking, it's a long-ass dungeon-crawler (there's a 255 floor tower and after 30 hours I've only managed to reach the 80th floor), dating-sim and traditional JRPG all rolled up into one. You get dialog trees where your answer really does matter. The game is not non-linear, nor is it P&P-inspired like Fallout or Arcanum, but the turn-based combat is addictive and quick, something very important since the focus of the game is dungeon-crawling and fighting in order to get to the top of the tower while also building up your army of Persona's. Building social relationships in the game world leads to getting bonuses on the persona's you create, so it's usually a good idea to make friends and date girls.

Characterizations are consistent, though, for example: my friend Kizushi injured his knee and asked me to keep his secret out of fear of being disqualified from the regional matches, so if you tell him to forget kendo and get that treated he'll get pissed and the relationship will suffer. (The first time I tried telling him to go to the hospital because it was the goody-goody dialog option and I'm used to always choosing the goody-goody response from playing BioWare games, so I was geniunely surprised when he got pissed at me for caring about his well being. Obviously, in Kizushi's view being an athlete and being treated as an athlete is much more important.)

The game's writing is of the usual JRPG translation quality, but it isn't bad. It's just... simple, and to the point. Characters are written in broad strokes and stereotyped pretty heavily, but never in an overdone way. It isn't any more offensive in this regard than any other television program. The plot itself is simple, and this would suck if the game put a lot of emphasis into it but fortunately the plot is just a device to get the characters from point A to point B and have them explore dungeons and meet new people.

The real joy to the game is two-parted: 1) grinding through Tartarus, (that's what the 255 floor tower is called), and shaping your party into persona-using ubermensch that will annihilate every monster they come across, (which isn't easy! The SMT games are some of the few JRPG's where there's still a smidgen of challenge. Certainly the game is much harder than any Bioware CRPG, that's for sure); and 2) enjoying the dating-sim aspects of the game such as making friends with the people in your school and helping them out with their problems in life and love. It took me a while to get into it, but I'm finding myself rushing through Tartarus every night so that Sunday comes and I can go out with the PC's friends.

Like I said in a previous thread, though: there are a few things you have to take into consideration before jumping into the game.

1) if you don't like anime art and anime characters you will not like Persona 3.
2) if you don't like JRPG's and expect a CRPG you will not like Persona 3.
3) if you're expecting good writing you will not like Persona 3.
4) if you're expecting Wizardry when you hear the term dungeon-crawl you will not like Persona 3.

Other than that, though, it's a fantastic JRPG and a pretty safe buy.

EDIT: Oh, and the movie GIF is from Rambo 4, I think.

Müg

Scholar
Nintendo Power's article on it made me slightly ill, and I only just skimmed it.

Blargh.

(Nintendo power is great because with every time I resubscribe I can get games with t-shirts and shit. Sells it for me!)

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Section8 said:
Müg said:
Yes they do.

lol
jrpg.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom