Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Soulbringer

Zandig Slaytanic

Educated
That's odd - it should work.

I'm using the latest version of Windows 10 (Version: 20H2, Build: 19042.685) and it plays fine.

Make sure you use the dgVodoo2 version in the archive and be sure to select:
Output API: Direct3D 11 MS WARP (software)
in the dgVoodoo2 panel.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It doesn't work for me either, it plays the opening movies but then sits as a black screen in the upper left corner of the monitor.

Zandig Slaytanic

Educated
Try this....

In the Windows 10 notification area - click " All settings "
- in the " Find a setting " box type: turn windows features on or off
-
scroll down to "Legacy components" and put a check in "DirectPlay" and click ok....

- Reboot the computer and try running the game again.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Wait, I got it to work. I replaced all the .exe and data files from the DXcompatpatch folder, then set the compatibility of the noeax (!!!) .exe to windows 95 and it works (from the noeax.exe). The cinematics don't run, though.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Wait, no, I lied. It's from the SoulbringerVC.exe and I have to have eax.dll in the folder. Win 95 compatibility is still a must. It works, though, even if the cinematics don't. Most of them are in-engine cutscenes anyway and they do run, so it's not a big deal if you miss the opening pre-rendered ones.

Zandig Slaytanic

Educated
Wait, I got it to work. I replaced all the .exe and data files from the DXcompatpatch folder, then set the compatibility of the noeax (!!!) .exe to windows 95 and it works (from the noeax.exe). The cinematics don't run, though.

Yes, you should copy the contents inside the /Soulbringer/ folder(s) from the archives into the game install folder overwriting the files.

Soulbringer.exe should be CRC32: FAC5126B
SoulbringeVC.exe should be CRC32: B14718A4
SoulbringeVCnoeax.exe should be CRC32: D585FA19

Lacrymas

Arcane
No, wait, I lied again, this is super bizarre. When I try to run it again from the same .exe, it doesn't work, I have to constantly change between the VC and noeax .exes rooooofl. What the fuck is this game.

Zandig Slaytanic

Educated
Wait, no, I lied. It's from the SoulbringerVC.exe and I have to have eax.dll in the folder. Win 95 compatibility is still a must. It works, though, even if the cinematics don't. Most of them are in-engine cutscenes anyway and they do run, so it's not a big deal if you miss the opening pre-rendered ones.

Everything should work, cinematics and all. No need for any compatibility settings - by following the guide.
Everyone's computer is different so there may be quirks using other graphic cards like AMD or Intel which I have not tested.

The game is finicky to be sure. After selecting the game's video settings at start you may have to run it a few times before everything works properly - but once it does you should be good after that.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I can't get to the video settings btw because nothing happens after I click the main .exe. I can't change its compatibility settings either (it's greyed out to Win XP), only to the VC and noeax .exes.

EDIT: I managed to change the settings by clicking "change compatibility settings for all users". It just works after the data and .exes are put from the folder I mentioned and setting compatibility to win 95. Cinematics don't, though.

Last edited:

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Motherfuckers!!! I wasted like 4-5 hours trying to run this shit today and it turns out it works without any fucking patches or fixes, but just doesn't run on touchpad. I just had to connect USB mouse and click....

Lacrymas

Arcane
I don't doubt that, this is weirdest game to get running ever (but it does eventually run).

lycanwarrior

Scholar
I remember this game, brings back old memories.

Got to the very end but was unable to complete it due to a game-breaking bug. On a forum thread when someone brought this issue up, the developer said the only way to workaround the issue was to start a new game :(

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom