Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Souls games are drugs

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I walked through DaS. Liked it very much. But decided it was enough of this kind of gameplay and I want to play something else.

It ended up completing DeS. Because of it I couldn't play MOtB. I was addicted to DeS. Okay, I beat DeS, now I totally do not want any more of this goddamned souls gameplay.

As a result I bought DaS II last week. I didn't want to, but I bought it and started playing.

I can't understand how it works. I was never a fan of Action RPGs or hardcore games overall. Fuking From Software made me a souls junkie.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
If Souls games are cocaine then DKS2 was laced with methylamphetamine.

Stefan Vujovic

Educated
Yeah, they can be addictive in a frustrating way... That being said i just can't force myself to finish either of them... I got enough stress in my life as it is, and least i want is to feel stressed cause of some PREPARE TO DIE cheese assrape...

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
No, the only games that should be classified as dangerously addictive narcotics are The Sims series.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I played DaS for more than 200 hours. I don't think I've ever played another game for so many hours in a single playthrough (If you count NG+), including Wizardry 8, World Of Xeen and BG-Trilogy.

I then jumped to DeS and invested about 50-60 hours, but as soon as I finished it for the first time I didn't want to continue playing. I think that was an overdose for me. I'll probably start with DaSII in some hot August day.

I think it has something to do with them being modern but with no hand-holding bullshit. The series is all about gameplay without shitty dramatic plot/story.

Old Hans

Arcane
even as a long time fan, I feel they really need to up their game for Beast Souls.

Dark 2 felt like sketchy street dealer dope cut with baking soda and horse medicine

Borelli

Arcane
Huh, the Souls games addictive? As action games you finish them once, then once again on NG+ and you have seen all the game has to offer. Unless you are talking about the RPG soul collection aspect. In which case i pity you.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Huh, the Souls games addictive? As action games you finish them once, then once again on NG+ and you have seen all the game has to offer.
I wanted to say that usually I do not play games with identical gameplay in a row, I get bored by the same gameplay mechanics and play something different. But in this case I went DaS-DeS-DaSII one after another because I got addicted.
I do not abuse the games with multiple playthroughs.

rbenchley

Educated
Patron
I think it has something to do with them being modern but with no hand-holding bullshit. The series is all about gameplay without shitty dramatic plot/story.

Part of what makes the Souls games so addictive, aside from the great gameplay, is that they do have great stories. They just don't rely on shitty exposition to tell the story. Souls games are show, not tell and it's a much better way of incorporating a great story without distracting from the main draw, the gameplay.

Konjad

⛏
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
you're a bunch of weaboos, otakus and weirdos. best thing you could do is to kill yourself. please do.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Part of what makes the Souls games so addictive, aside from the great gameplay, is that they do have great stories. They just don't rely on shitty exposition to tell the story. Souls games are show, not tell and it's a much better way of incorporating a great story without distracting from the main draw, the gameplay.

That's the thing with, at least Dark Souls, haven't played the other two, it's that every single part of the design is in service of gameplay where it can be. It's exactly how an action adventure game should be designed. I couldn't think of any improvements to Dark Souls if I tried, only superficial changes. (like less silly looking primordial serpents, but who doesn't love them anyway?)

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Souls game is the reason this subforum exist: Downgrade the relevance of one of the best rpgs ever created. And the funny twist is that one of the best rpgs created is an action game. Funny and true. C&C, combat, (back)story, atmosphere, exploration, big ass knights, demons and monsters to fight. I still remember fondly the heart beating tense combats this game offered.

Darth Roxor and Konjad fuck you, go back to play Alpha Prototurd and Faggot Age 2, faggots.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Souls game is the reason this subforum exist: Downgrade the relevance of one of the best rpgs ever created. And the funny twist is that one of the best rpgs created is an action game. Funny and true. C&C, combat, (back)story, atmosphere, exploration, big ass knights, demons and monsters to fight. I still remember fondly the heart beating tense combats this game offered.

Darth Roxor and Konjad fuck you, go back to play Alpha Prototurd and Faggot Age 2, faggots.

:butthurt:

made

Arcane

The story is more like an excuse to kill 4 bosses in order to kill the endboss - both DS games follow that pattern. They do have some cool background lore though if you bother to dig deeper and piece together the scattered hints.

One of the best reasons to avoid Souls games is to not risk being associated with their fanbase

I agree, fanbase is fucking crazy, but the game (DS1) is actually good. Unfortunately I got bored with DS2 before even finishing it, and at first I thought I've just spent too much time on DS1 and got burned out, but I reinstalled it lately and nope, that one is still fun.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
One of the best reasons to avoid Souls games is to not risk being associated with their fanbase

I agree, fanbase is fucking crazy, but the game (DS1) is actually good. Unfortunately I got bored with DS2 before even finishing it, and at first I thought I've just spent too much time on DS1 and got burned out, but I reinstalled it lately and nope, that one is still fun.
Can you give me a example of DS fanbase crazyness? I pirated both Souls games, didn't played online and only finished once both games, so i don't think i'm the best kind of fanboy. I only ask because i don't see the fanboy behaviour here at the codex on 2BTE and such.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom