Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

South Park: The Stick of Truth (PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION)

Shannow

Waster of Time
Felix said:
Never watch South Part, is it worth watching just to have some ideas about what to expect?
http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-episodes/ works if you're from the US. I suggest s05e01 to begin with. Then to see what the game might be like: s06e13. And then, to see what I expect from the game: s15e01.

PS: s01e01 would mean: season 1; episode 1, just in case somebody does not know...

Nattvardsvin

Learned
zeitgeist said:
Jaesun said:
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2011/12/05/obsidian-ceo-on-crafting-the-south-park-rpg.aspx
Feargus Urquhart loves RPGs. As the lead designer on Fallout 2 and one of the founders of RPG-centric Obsidian Entertainment, Urquhart and the rest of the team are not approaching South Park: The Game as a simple licensed title. A lot of thought is going into the challenge of creating a light-hearted experience that's enjoyable for fans of the show but also appeals to fans of Obsidian's deep RPG heritage. We spoke with the CEO of Obsidian Entertainment about how the South Park project began, working with the wildly creative minds of South Park creators Matt Stone and Trey Parker, and how the team at Obsidian is approaching the opportunity to create a massive 2D RPG based on one of the most successful animated shows in history.
:M
Well, there's one good thing about this: all these silly PR posts with all the buzzwords and whatnot applied to such a game - in the same way they've been applied to pretty much all recent GOTY-worthy flops - should hopefully convince even the most gullible Codexian to think twice when confronted with such hype-building spiel. Then again, perhaps I'm being too optimistic?

Yep.
It's basically just a wall of shit text that doesn't say anything.
"Appeal to these while at the same time keeping the blah blah blah, so the hardcore will also enjoy bla bla at the same time easy to pick up bla bla"

Repressed Homosexual
I remember when the South Park FPS was announced, Matt and Trey were as enthusiastic and involved with the game as they say they are now, and now they're making it look like they had nothing to do with it. Hypocrites.

I found that game decent for its time though, to be honest.

The show, however, is and always has been pure trash with no redeeming values other than being disgusting and offensive for the hell of it, and only got more pretentious over time. You can only polish this material so much.

DwarvenFood said:
Is the SouthPark FPS that snowball throwing game ? :D

You got other weapons as the game progressed, dart guns, cow launchers, exploding Terrance & Phillip dolls, etc you only started out with the snowballs.

Yes I played it. I was young, leave me alone.

Awor Szurkrarz said:
Did the Terrance & Phillip dolls explode with a fart sound? :what:

Can't remember if they had the sound effect, but the smoke afterwards was green, and each doll had a couple different quotes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZV3SWwj8rc

Edit: Ah, found videos featuring the weapons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3b5eZHMgh0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wE1oJ_pi ... re=related

He starts talking about the dolls at 2:24 on the first video. And yeah, they had the fart sounds along with everything else I said.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
PorkaMorka said:
Literally the worst of both worlds.
That's The Witcher. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars is one of the best jrpgs of all time! People actually liked its combat system.

Stinger said:
If it is a copy of the Mario RPG style then it'll be party based rather than controlling the one guy.
If by party-based you mean two. The guy summarizing the GI article kinda-sorta confirmed this when he said all the combat screens only had two characters on your side at a time.

tennishero

Novice
from fallout 2 to...........southpark

thats how bad arcanum and vampire the masqurade sucked

lets not mention alpha protocol

Nattvardsvin

Learned
tennishero said:
from fallout 2 to...........southpark

thats how bad arcanum and vampire the masqurade sucked

lets not mention alpha protocol

Now hold on, Arcanum was not that bad. :lol:
:smug:

tennishero

Novice
this is obsidians karma for not releasing the REAL fallout 3

they should have leaked the 50% finished copy and let the scene finish things up

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
Having never played the paper mario games and only witnessed the use of button sequences in a TB game a few times I always assumed that the button mashing was heavily stat influenced, dumb luck, or user skill that became redundant when mastered. I would take all of those options if its party based. I'm sick of action RPGs. Reason being if its stat influanced its basically stat based unless or until it gets too easy. Even if it does get too easy you have uniform outcomes that fall back on stats anyway.

Stinger

Arcane
http://gamingeverything.com/12549/first-images-of-the-south-park-rpg/

The article from GI. Doesn't look that impressive so far. Especially the comments from Matt & Trey praising Oblivion. Too much commentary from Matt & Trey which I suppose is understandable but it really doesn't say anything about the actual game itself.

Either way, seems to be pretty clearly Paper Mario style and I'm not sure what to make of that.

Eh, I think I'll wait for an announcement about North Carolina instead.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Stinger said:
http://gamingeverything.com/12549/first-images-of-the-south-park-rpg/

The article from GI. Doesn't look that impressive so far. Especially the comments from Matt & Trey praising Oblivion. Too much commentary from Matt & Trey which I suppose is understandable but it really doesn't say anything about the actual game itself.

Either way, seems to be pretty clearly Paper Mario style and I'm not sure what to make of that.

Eh, I think I'll wait for an announcement about North Carolina instead.

..?

What?

They mention Oblivion two times. In a fucking interview. Tim Cain did that too.

Other than that theyr actual comments about the game in the article sound positive. Like they wanted the game to be more about the interactions between the kids rather than go in dungeon/beat up wacky monsters. What doesn't sound interesting to you?

Vibalist

Arcane
Beautiful Clown Painting said:
I am pretty sure that the guys from Obsidian after having accepted the contract (and having thought about it), at one time said to each other: "Ha ha ha, there's gonna be some major butthurt on the Codex".

Avellone wrote it on his Facebook. "Codex having a meltdown" or something along those lines. He seemed to be having a good laugh about it. :)

Stinger

Arcane
IronicNeurotic said:

That's a fair enough point, but I do think there's a difference between a developer who's made some of the best RPGs ever saying that he likes Oblivion and some newcomers to the games industry who claim to be making an RPG and then give one example (Wizardry) before going off about great RPGs like Arkham City and Oblivion. And then mention that they haven't played RPGs in ages because they got sick of all the walking and talking to people.

These same people say they prefer silent protagonists over the voiced protagonist which sounds like an incline but then they bring up examples of the other, Gordon Freeman-esque type of Silent Protagonist like Link.

They sound like they know jack shit about RPGs is what I'm saying and these guys have total creative control of the game. I'm sure Obsidian will find some way to incline this, it's what they do, but then it'll just be another Obsidian game which had potential but suffered from stupid mandates from higher up.

As for the stuff about the game, the only thing that interests me is the faction/relationship mechanics. I'm still not sure if the jrpg combat is something I'd like, I dunno, I want to think this game will be good but so far it's just come off a little meh for me. Maybe if we can see some actual gameplay footage it'll convince me otherwise.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Stinger said:
IronicNeurotic said:

That's a fair enough point, but I do think there's a difference between a developer who's made some of the best RPGs ever saying that he likes Oblivion and some newcomers to the games industry who claim to be making an RPG and then give one example (Wizardry) before going off about great RPGs like Arkham City and Oblivion. And then mention that they haven't played RPGs in ages because they got sick of all the walking and talking to people.

These same people say they prefer silent protagonists over the voiced protagonist which sounds like an incline but then they bring up examples of the other, Gordon Freeman-esque type of Silent Protagonist like Link.

They sound like they know jack shit about RPGs is what I'm saying and these guys have total creative control of the game. I'm sure Obsidian will find some way to incline this, it's what they do, but then it'll just be another Obsidian game which had potential but suffered from stupid mandates from higher up.

As for the stuff about the game, the only thing that interests me is the faction/relationship mechanics. I'm still not sure if the jrpg combat is something I'd like, I dunno, I want to think this game will be good but so far it's just come off a little meh for me. Maybe if we can see some actual gameplay footage it'll convince me otherwise.

?

Seriously are you just reading this stuff into your mind so you can be angry about it?

First off wrong. Trey Parker is the one who mentioned loving RPGs. Matt was the one with Arkham City and they never said that this is a example of a great rpg. Not to mention Trey doesn't like the MMO style of rpgs. Another incline.

No, fuck this.

MATT STONE SPECIFICALLY MENTIONS ARKHAM CITY IS NOT AN RPG.

http://gamingeverything.com/wp-content/ ... h_p-17.jpg

Seriously dude. Your ok in other threads but this is just skywaiy volourn type of bullshit.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
St. Toxic said:
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Kenny_%28Fallout%29

The circle is complete. :M

The circle isn't complete until there's a Fallout reference in the SP game.

serch

Magister
Serch said:
South Park RPG features turned based combat with player input a la Paper Mario:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...eapons-the-combat-of-south-park-the-game.aspx

Also 4:48 Salute

Black said:
Jew class? :incline: :incline: :incline: :incline:
Obsidian gives us another incline in the form of fucking political correctness by giving us the ability to be a juice and to kill kids!

Jaesun said:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=67128&start=275

There is already a South Park thread, feel free to post new info there.

:salute: trigger happy faggot ;)

Nattvardsvin

Learned
Volrath said:
Quick update:
-final character class: jew

UPCOMING NEWS
VIDEO GAMES ARE TURNING OUR CHILDREN INTO ANTI-SEMITISTS

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom