Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Sovereign Syndicate Released

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Sovereign Syndicate's unique Tarot system

lol

why am I under the impression its like that card shit from Pathfinder Kingmaker?

Expecting it to be neither unique nor a good system, but ill torrent it and we'll see. Devs nowadays sure love feature bloat and system bloat

Also I bet they are calling that Disco Elysium dialogue ripoff also a unique system :lol:

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
It's looks like a Disco-lite more than anything. Four attributes/skills instead of the twenty or so that Disco had. Mostly two options in conversations, rarely more, based on what's been shown. And multiple characters that you jump around to so that you can't really develop one too much. It's like if Heavy Rain and Disco Elysium had a baby. But it might be entertaining.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Ooops... just found out this doesn't even have combat. And also it has like binary dialogue choices lol

Guess I wont even bother to torrent it after all. Bizarre they dared to call it Arcanum successor.... Crazy false marketing

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Congrats, Disco-like is now a genre. Woop de doo. Will it get absorbed into adventure genre, establish a new subgenre of RPG, or go the way of the Walking Sim? (i.e. promoted through false advertising, shilled by faggy journos, and then dying pathetically due to no sales)

Anyway, a real game came out today, play that instead:

LanciaArdita

Literate
As admitted by the devs themselves, the game draws heavier inspiration from titles like gamedec than DE, so it would be fairer to call it an adventure game/interactive novel with RPG-lite elements, rather than a cRPG.

It has nowhere near the complexity of DE.

The writing style is something of a hybrid between angsty young adult novels and the communist manifesto.

Also halal for furries. Or furry-adjacent, hell if I know.

LanciaArdita

Literate
Ooops... just found out this doesn't even have combat. And also it has like binary dialogue choices lol
Actually, and this is just a hunch mind you, but going by the about us section from dev's official site, I think they are implicitly in support of non-binary choices.

"As an organization, we strive to be an equitable, diverse, and inclusive employer. We welcome applications from all qualified persons and encourage women, indigenous peoples, members of visible minority groups, and persons with disabilities to participate in our communities, play our games, and work with our studio."

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
As admitted by the devs themselves, the game draws heavier inspiration from titles like gamedec than DE, so it would be fairer to call it an adventure game/interactive novel with RPG-lite elements, rather than a cRPG.
But gamedec is crap, was it even popular? Why draw any inspiration from games like that instead of the ones actually successful.

LanciaArdita

Literate
But gamedec is crap, was it even popular? Why draw any inspiration from games like that instead of the ones actually successful.

It was a 72/100 on the metacritic aggregator, so good enough I suppose.

They drew inspiration from gamedec because it has just barely enough RPG elements to be tagged as an RPG (which is a sought after tag nowadays, almost every game shoots for some form of RPG-lite). Nevermind the fact that none of the skillchecks matter one bit and the dialogue choices are false dilemmas.

That's too bad because the art is quite eye-catching and unique. Reminds me of that old steampunk goblin card game, Gremlins, Inc.

Isaac (Crimson Herring)

Crimson Herring Studios
Developer
As admitted by the devs themselves, the game draws heavier inspiration from titles like gamedec than DE, so it would be fairer to call it an adventure game/interactive novel with RPG-lite elements, rather than a cRPG. It has nowhere near the complexity of DE. The writing style is something of a hybrid between angsty young adult novels and the communist manifesto. Also halal for furries. Or furry-adjacent, hell if I know.

It was a 72/100 on the metacritic aggregator, so good enough I suppose.

They drew inspiration from gamedec because it has just barely enough RPG elements to be tagged as an RPG (which is a sought after tag nowadays, almost every game shoots for some form of RPG-lite). Nevermind the fact that none of the skillchecks matter one bit and the dialogue choices are false dilemmas.

That's too bad because the art is quite eye-catching and unique. Reminds me of that old steampunk goblin card game, Gremlins, Inc.

We've never said we took heavier inspiration from Gamedec than DE. I'm actually not sure I ever said I took any inspiration from Gamedec at all. Though it certainly was one of the first "Disco-likes" and I did enjoy the environments, UI design, and thought the premise of the game was interesting. I wish the writing had been better. Really wanted to enjoy that game but it just didn't click with me.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Actually, and this is just a hunch mind you, but going by the about us section from dev's official site, I think they are implicitly in support of non-binary choices.

"As an organization, we strive to be an equitable, diverse, and inclusive employer. We welcome applications from all qualified persons and encourage women, indigenous peoples, members of visible minority groups, and persons with disabilities to participate in our communities, play our games, and work with our studio."
Good to know. I've updated the master wokeness list for this particular indie studio. Now only need to know how bad the actual game is.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I played the first segment (with the minotaur) and some of the second one (prostitute). It's steampunk Disco with some Victorian-era street English thrown in. Themes: sad orphan, discrimination against beast races, taking drugs in an opium den etc.
Refunded immediately after I saw that on the second character's quest details it said something to the extent of 'women have it reeeeally hard in this world'. Bear in mind that the segment was about a literal paid whore sleeping around with aristocrats and exploiting them to make bank so she can fuck off.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom