Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Space Hulk Gameplay

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Yeah, space hulks have been floating around the warp for Emperor knows how long and may contain long lost stuff, maybe even an STC. The techmarines and librarians would wreck your shit if you just literally blew them up.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Not to mention that if it could be cleansed and reclaimed, you could refurbish it and turn it into a regular space ship again. And considering all space ships in wargammer are millenia old, odds are they're tough to build from scratch.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
In a setting where technology is worshiped and operated by obscure rituals rather than understood and developed, you don't just blow ancient (read: better than most of the shit made at current manofactoriums) unless something really, really nasty has taken hold of it.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
I've always wondered what the space marines do when they are not killing stuff, dying or practising killing stuff.
Earn a little extra money by posing in the fan-magazines marketed at Sisters of Battle:

4XxXMmD.png

AngryKobold

Arcane
Tags: Full Control; Space Hulk

Space Hulk's latest computer incarnation got itself some exposure at GDC. They're actually showing some gameplay footage and, well, it looks very much Space Hulk so far. Now, could someone fire a flamer at that journalist to shut him up? Please?

That looks cool!

I'll tell you how it looks. Looks like a case study of people outdoing themselves to make an unreadable tactical view. In the grim future of games, the ancient art of making walls transparent is long forgotten. Behold the harsh beauty of industrial environment obscuring the view, you heretic scum.

Somebody call these hacks and tell them what looks nice in Doom 3 isn't gonna work well in strategy. Particularly in strategy about claustrophobic spaceships.

Data4

Arcane
Fuck Carolyn "I hate my own penis" Petit. That vile piece of filth needs to just shut the fuck up and stick to writing. I couldn't watch the damn video because of the sound of its voice.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Tags: Full Control; Space Hulk

Space Hulk's latest computer incarnation got itself some exposure at GDC. They're actually showing some gameplay footage and, well, it looks very much Space Hulk so far. Now, could someone fire a flamer at that journalist to shut him up? Please?

That looks cool!

I'll tell you how it looks. Looks like a case study of people outdoing themselves to make an unreadable tactical view. In the grim future of games, the ancient art of making walls transparent is long forgotten. Behold the harsh beauty of industrial environment obscuring the view, you heretic scum.

Somebody call these hacks and tell them what looks nice in Doom 3 isn't gonna work well in strategy. Particularly in strategy about claustrophobic spaceships.

It seemed okay, especially if you will be able to rotate the camera to a purely top-down view.

Your suggestion is sound, though. A level of wall transparency would indeed be an improvement.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
There's only one rule in Space Hulk that I hate, and that's how frequent jamming is. Especially as jamming doesn't exist or plays only a minimal role in other 40k games. You would think that Terminators would take especially good care of their weapons before entering a Hulk but nope. Let's just pour oily gravel into the bolters - nothing else can explain the frequent jams.

I AM VERY BUTTHURT ABOUT JAMMING.

Also, an extensive campaign would be awesome - where you clean out an entire Hulk. Utilize regular Marines guarding your forward base while the Terminators have a breather. They could lift most of the campaign mechanics off Necromunda, just drop crafting.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
You would think that Terminators would take especially good care of their weapons before entering a Hulk but nope. Let's just pour oily gravel into the bolters - nothing else can explain the frequent jams.
There's only so much that maintenance can do for guns that're nearly 10,000 years old, I guess.

Still pretty bullshit, though.

oscar

Arcane
I hope they spice things up and have you facing off against rival Chaos or Eldar forces, instead of fighting solely genestealers. The more varied missions and settings were one thing I appreciated about Templar Assault.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
I'm pretty sure White Dwarf included special Space Hulk missions at one point; one was a race against time where both Space Marines and the Eldar were trying to retrieve an artefact while Genestealers were harassing both. They should include such missions in an expansion, since there's probably no time to expand the basics before release.

MetalCraze

Arcane
It looks way too simple. Tight straight corridors that can fit 1 guy, only being able to attack or move. It may work well on the table but PC allows for a lot more.

Much like all "thematic" WH40K videogame cash-ins with a casual gameplay it will be quickly forgotten.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
There's only one rule in Space Hulk that I hate, and that's how frequent jamming is. Especially as jamming doesn't exist or plays only a minimal role in other 40k games. You would think that Terminators would take especially good care of their weapons before entering a Hulk but nope. Let's just pour oily gravel into the bolters - nothing else can explain the frequent jams.

I AM VERY BUTTHURT ABOUT JAMMING.
Maybe they use their weapons beyond the advised specs during the reaction fire?

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Much like all "thematic" WH40K videogame cash-ins with a casual gameplay it will be quickly forgotten.
I see no need to add more complexity to an existing system. Of course that would be great (if done well), but if one's intention is to make a straight adaptation rule-for-rule, I see no problem with that either. You're using a system that - while may be lacking in areas - has been playtested for many years, without AFAIK any major complaints, so the game still stands a good chance of being a solid play in terms of gameplay challenge and functions.

Now IIRC in the video he actually talked a lot about adding a variety of features non-existent on the tabletop.

Wasn't a mission creator mentioned? If so, then a rooms exist in the game, a two-wide corridor simply being a 2xL sized room, so I see no reason you'd be stuck with 1-wide corridors if you don't desire.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom