Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Space... The Anal Frontier (Space Rangers 2 Blind Ironman)

Pope Amole

Educated
Ulminati said:
Tell me more. Plenty of voulenteers have signed up as pirates.

To be honest, with the way this thing keeps going on, I doubt that it will ever become an issue, but that's not really important. The hardest prerequisite for getting this unique ship is killing a whole hundred of civilian ships, specifically cargo freighters, passenger liners and diplomats. Also, I advise to count this hundred manually since the chart in the game is shared for these and also for rangers and military men that you kill and, believe me, in process of killing the hundred, you'll have to kill a lot of your fellow rangers and brave defenders of the universe. Oh, and, as with all the ships, you'll have to have a pretty high military ranking too, IIRC, the "ace" one, so you'll also have to kill a boatload of dommies. Still, it gives awesome bonuses to your weapons so it's kinda worth it.

Science hull gets +speed and jump distance, Military hull gets +armor and droid repair rate (also a large speed penalty because of huge 1.2k hull), Pirate gets +damage and speed. IMO pirate is definitely the best since +damage per shot adds up to so many enemies dieing so much faster, as it is applied to each and every hit you do (especially important if you use weaker mass damage weapons like missiles, since 50 damage vs 15 hull is a lot better than 30 damage vs 15 hull). Military and Science are much easier to get though, since Ace rank requires 200-400 dominator kills anyway which means Science basically unlocks itself while Military only requires 50 pirate kills which you can easily hunt down. The Pirate unique ship still requires Ace rank, which means you need to be not-a-pirate for 300ish dominator kills, then start hunting for civilian ships.

They also require a huge amount of money, I think it was 1 million credits. By the time you have completed the prerequisite goals this usually isn't a problem though.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
....Oooh. I'm too slow for this LP. I thought you were talking of Vanilla. :)

Yeah, 1 million in Vanilla is already past point of victory, you'd just be buying it for completion sake....if you play it right on normal, 200k would be able to set you up with a good enough hull and weapons to take on the Dominators with very little problems.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
When last we left off, Lord Paco had just earned some easy money by antagonizing every single pirate in the Sol system. This could have no negative reperussions whatsoever. :smug:

The generic Quest Vendor mentions that luxuries are apperently seling for dirt cheap at the moment. A change of system might be just the thing, plus there may be a decent profit in it. Even if it's disgustingly honest work.
OIV5V.jpg

8Apug.jpg

Barely has Paco left the planet surface before he's accosted by filthy Xenos wanting his cargo
rYTXU.jpg

Fortunately, filthy Xeno hulls cannot boos their engines. They are quickly outrun
XSAgU.jpg

While selling off his goods, Paco is offered to do a ground mission
FcjYD.jpg

He is confindent in his ability to stomp the AI without assistence
Olo7j.jpg

It's a new map! Apparently there are both green and red enemies this time
LLQt5.jpg

Thinking to do a quick push along a flank, Paco quickly consolidates his forces to the south
TeVJd.jpg

The enemy outpost falls quickly, only to find a force of enemy robots had completely overrun both of pacos outposts and his main base in the time it took to blow up 3 turrets... Yeah.
FYE0T.jpg

A brave attempt to retake the base by the remaining bots ends predictably poorly.
gUr5l.jpg

3eiC4.jpg

FTi6w.jpg

We shall never speak of this mission again.
AuO6b.jpg

On his way back to Sol, Paco is accosted by another pirate. He appears to be able to match pace with the pirate, so he kites it out of weapons range, all the while firing salvos of missiles at the scumbag
6pBxG.jpg

Aka3w.jpg

CUOhv.jpg

Eventually the pirate realizes he is no match for the might of Paco and absconds to a nearby system. Paco gives chase
P6rgn.jpg

7qsdm.jpg

...Only to find the corsair makes planetfall before he can finish him off! Curses!

Taking a glimpse at the cur in the landing bay it quickly becomes apparent that keeping the corsair at missile distance was a sensible choice. that flak cannon is decidedly unpleasant
E0bfv.jpg

While getting refuelling and repair, Paco sells the artefactor since voices in his head informs him it's crap
Y19f9.jpg

Since there's no point in making a round 2 when the jackass can jus land and repair, Paco sets off to the sun system to upgrade his shit at the science base and looking into some anal probes.
mO1Tb.jpg

SWEET MOTHER OF MERCY, I HAVE GOT TO GET ME ONE OF THESE!
gxVEh.jpg

Hull is upgraded. The armor cladding is increased from measly 1 pt to 6 pts. Along with the wormey-things Paco got in the last update, his ship now absorbs the first 11 points of damage from all attacks. :incline:
VL8ps.jpg

kRCl7.jpg

Since he has money to burn (and NOONE seems to sell missile launchers anywhere in the galaxy. I know. I triple-checke with the search feature) it's time to invest in probes!
DeqNr.jpg

Sc14R.jpg

This looks like as good a place as any to start
tbaz6.jpg

7AVHq.jpg

It's going to take a while (190 days) until they're completely done searching every sector of Neptune, so Paco may as well find some missions to do.
A4ctR.jpg

Another mission to keep pirates from blowing shit up in the Sol system comes Pacos way. This is pretty much guaranteed, since every pirate in the system already hates his guts so much they'll happily abandon civilian targets to kill him.
oybly.jpg

Basically the second Paco leaves earth, he is targetted by 2 pirates. He employs his tried and tested tactic of firing a few potshots at them, landing on a planet, waiting a few days and repeating before they kill any civvies.
orL8k.jpg

pgnKe.jpg

As he completes the mission, he is also informed that the Corsair he nearly killed earlier has been arrested upon landing on Mars. Justice is served!
KgOlJ.jpg

He also nearly managed to blow up another pirate - but for some reason it wasn't arrested when it landed on earth despite being filthy Xeno scum
mE9EH.jpg

If Paco had known this was what he was tangling with, he might've been a bit more cautious
ZXRgr.jpg

JHOoj.jpg

At this point, Paco is pretty much constantly toggling his engine into overdrive in short bursts. Sol is crawling with people who want to blow him up.
7IjJR.jpg

A good thing then that he is offered a relatively simple Courier run. Before accepting it, he runs a quick search on the planet in question to make sure he won't get arrested the second he lands.
Yq4Jp.jpg

scAqN.jpg

Looks like a stopover in Avior is necessary
Zeqdm.jpg

Did I mention everyone hates Pacos guts? Jealous pricks.
O58BK.jpg

:rage:
K3gqo.jpg

It takes several tries, but the filthy Xenos finally sell Paco a map of the sector he'll have to pass through to make it to his destination.
Dg4sa.jpg

There's a spinning shield symbol on the system. It's probably A Bad Thing, but it is also the only way to make it to Pacos destination. How bad can it be?
JxQX2.jpg

:what:
v8EL5.jpg

Boosters to maximum, it is!
We2cI.jpg

Amazingly, Paco makes it to the jump point in one piece. Sadly, I forgot to take a screenshot of the 50-something torpedoes that were right on his ass when he jumped.
xGYKB.jpg

Accuracy is upgraded, and Lord Paco is now officially the most experienced Space Ranger this LP has produced!
MTr0h.jpg

:yeah:

Drakron

Arcane
Well I say you should just fuck those RTS missions as the tutorial is easy enough but then ... MDK squadrons like you seen in the island.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Lord Paco just killed a dominator battleship!

:pelvic thrust:

[edit]

And a dominator fighter!

And a pirate ship!

that dropped a treasure map!

[edit 2]

Paco is a killing machine!!!!

RK47

Patron
my 16:9 display crashes on every RTS load up.

but it's alright....the Rapid Housing III hull is kicking ass with 5 missile slots at 1000 speed....
Hard Dominators killed 66% of the Rangers...but we're fighting back.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
One thing that was neglected in the previous update is that Paco "helped himself" to some Dominator nodes that were unattended while the battle was raging. Sooner these get delivered to a ranger center, the better :smug:
6JyOp.jpg

Unfortunately, the only way to get back to human systems is through a system currently under attack by the Dominators
Q0Das.jpg

Hovering menacingly over th eonly planet that sells badly needed fuel is a dominator DOOMSHIP! But what's this? It's structure is marked as Orange. Paco gets an insane idea and unloads EVERYTHING he has at the ship...
5Yet2.jpg

DR3kp.jpg

PACO IS AN ÜBERMENSCH! A stackbarrel fuel container is all that remains of the monstrous dreadnaught. And Paco claims the glory!

emboldened by this turn of events, Paco quickly identifies another heavily damaged ship that is preoccupied with someone else
wpo4u.jpg

FLEE MORTALS! I AM PACO, SON OF BHAAL!
WLDLs.jpg

BEHOLD THE MAJESTY OF THE LORD OF MURDER!
PBdRi.jpg

Some really neat bits of loot are spaced by the wreckage. Paco quickly scoops everything up before the undamaged dominators notice him.
lTnKu.jpg

He barely makes it to the planet with the entire Dominator fleet in hot pursuit. Fortunately he only has to wait a few days and they'll switch targets.
lZGLX.jpg

While he's there, he picks up some very lucrative deals on cheap luxuries :smug:
ZlHVu.jpg

Apparently the dominators seek to "Enrich" our cultures. Spaceniggers?
1VTue.jpg

Having taken out all the Dominators it was afe to blast, Paco gets the fuck out of dodge
sFBAs.jpg

Luxuries are sold on. Slightly regretting creating this universe with a small spread on prices.
F7YVB.jpg

Back to Sol to turn in the nodes filling up our storeage
PFtQ2.jpg

uO3zD.jpg

t0WPS.jpg

StuOs.jpg

Paco can only afford one micromodule a tht emoment, and it's not all that exciting
BbbG8.jpg

But he is no longer bottom of the list! :thumbsup:
VVcBk.jpg

Next stop is Neptune to se ehow his probes are doing. Lots of interesting stuff uncovered...
04Gaa.jpg

HOLY FUCK!
mRyHt.jpg

The cladding on Pacos hull just tripled! Along with the wormy-things he got 2 updates ago, he now reduces all incoming damage by 23. Most low-level pirate scum will be unable to scratch him now. :smug:
oM84Z.jpg

....Oh, you just made a big mistake boy!
VRLkm.jpg

ALL SHALL BURN IN GLORIOUS DEATH!
uSNDI.jpg

The corsair calls in his Xeno homobuddy. Paco will take them both on!
YalG8.jpg

That's one gone. Let's listen to our favourite song!
qcB8G.jpg

A treasure map is found in the wreckage! :incline: Sadly, the other pirate legs it while Paco loots the remains of his buddy.
Fak84.jpg

The corsair also had a pretty sweet gripper :thumbsup:
8et6S.jpg

Moving up in the rankings. Lord Paco's avatar should be the new :Smugface:
I62jn.jpg

Since Paco has a lot of cash to burn, it's time to FIRE ZE MIZZILEZ! A quick search on the infonet reveals that 2 missile launchers exist in the universe at th emoment. They must be Pacos!
ISZQy.jpg

Another stopover is necessary in the system that is under Dominator attack to refuel. But with his newly upgraded armor, Paco feels confident he can survive it.
6ehdp.jpg

As he arrives, eh finds a ranger force about to engage the Dominators. Perhaps some good lewt cna be pilfered while the suckers draw fire.
vdaze.jpg

Paco marks all the Dominator fragments for collection. Sadly, most of them have been claimed by the time Paco arrives. So he'll have to settle for refuelling and continuing towards sweet, sweet, missile launchers.
u8zC8.jpg

t30K9.jpg

Upon arriving, Paco deploys his probes on an uninhabited planet.
eO2Xq.jpg

Oh my sweet beauties. How I have longed to caress you!
6qVv4.jpg

Pg8cD.jpg

One of the pirates that harrased him earlier is spotted and summarly executed. Dark days are ahead for all who have slighted Paco
Eqvv6.jpg

RixuC.jpg

A merchant is impressed with Pacos application of excessive overkill and asks for a demonstration. Drunk with power, Paco agrees.
YJwPO.jpg

Paco claws his way up the ranger charts over the dead body of the ranger-pirate he just killed.
f1Rav.jpg

SUDDENLY A FLEET OF DOMINATORS ARRIVES! :what:
3p7a1.jpg

Several ships are in the system and a battle soon breaks out. Paco arms his 3 missile launchers, but hangs back until a good target presents itself.
l0F77.jpg

2 volleys, then dodging THE FUCK AWAY before he draws too much attention. Paco slowly wears the Dominators down.
IfD3e.jpg

BEHOLD THE INCANDESCENT FURY OF PACOS ROCKETS!
THo9d.jpg

Yet another dominator fighter goes up in a ball of flame. :yeah:
LUlAc.jpg

Plenty of nodes are dropped. the missiles explode some of them, but most are reclaimed
zqs1b.jpg

While the doomship chases some unlucky red bugger, Paco notices the isolated ship on the right. Mizzilez armed!
xKwoV.jpg

The Dominator takes the bait. Paco uses (sparing) engine overload to kite the ship around, while waves of missiles wash over the Dominators hull.
OJqUm.jpg

Unlike pirates, Dominators don't flee when their hull gets damaged
0UHlc.jpg

w6SBR.jpg

gK6DQ.jpg

Suddenly, Paco draws attention of the big boys :s
YIedA.jpg

hHi0k.jpg

Reapirs were somewhat expensive, but look at all that experience!
F4pmI.jpg

Moving up in the world.
luVim.jpg

after hiding on a planet for a few days, Paco decides it's time to leave the system. As he departs, he spots an isolated dominator.
EHE3z.jpg

tumblr_lfp2hoS7xu1qc9f5v.jpg

Let's listen to our favourite song!
DqTxO.jpg

LMROY.jpg

Lots of expensive doodads are left floating around
3BzR3.jpg

Ranger Command is suitably impressed by Pacos bloodlust
tzaNQ.jpg

Remembering he has a shitload of XP, Paco raises his Charisma and Repair skills
IvUy6.jpg

Paco checks on the probes progress. Lookin' good. Everything is reclaimed, as Paco prepares to move on.
7gfHp.jpg

The treasure map dropped by the pirate earlier mentions a planet called Nuy. A quick search on the infonet locates it in the Denver sector.
YfCwT.jpg

ou46m.jpg

.....Yeah, fuck that.
fXpw4.jpg

By now, Pacos missile launchers could do with an upgrade. The only science station he knows of is at Sol, so a course is plotted. Again, several jumps are necessary.
MpA47.jpg

WHVCi.jpg

....Oh, fuck! That was NOT a good system to jump to!
FZSEy.jpg

Paco barely has enough fuel to make it to safety. That was too close for comfort
XXcJS.jpg

One refuel later, and Paco makes it to the (relative) safety of the human home systems
SJyHi.jpg

Probing commences...
8u9vV.jpg

Nodes are turned over. Sadly, paco can only afford a crap micromodule still.
wCWBo.jpg

...But for some reaso, this micromodule was in his storeage on the staton. Paco has no idea where this came from, but +10 to missiles is too good to pass up!
po9vJ.jpg

5WsTF.jpg

A short visit to the science station upgrades the missiles further. Paco's in pretty damn good shape now.
VnhKJ.jpg

OF6hm.jpg

Where should Paco go from here? As I see it, he has 2 compelling options.

1) Take on some simple missions to gain XP and - more importantly - credits. Fighting the dominators has taken a heavy toll on Pacos bank balance.

2) Dominators are attacking Kephrone and Murratz. These are all-human systems, and Paco has a duty to defend his space-BROs.

Whichever option has the most votes by the time I can be assed to fire up SR2 again decides what Paco does.

RK47

Patron
Let Kephrone burn...sacrifice for the greater good.

Anyways take option 2. Perform a salvage op in the middle of combat. And just launch missiles from afar to gain kill credits. :) The missions seems unreliable source of income and better done 'on the go' and not actively seek out.

This game is awesome. I wish more people would be open minded enough to play it. I tried introducing it to my friends and the intro + in-game screens turned them off.

Pope Amole

Educated
Dude, you've made my eyes almost bleed - wasting a red micromodule on such a fucking bad hull. Wasting a bloody red micromodule on a heap of trash! Sure, you've got yourself a bit of the advantage in the beginning, but 330 carrying capacity is ridiculous in terms of looting stuff and you'll sorely miss it later because it's freaking hard to find (or buy, even, they're worth 1000+ nodes and it's hard to collect that many) another one.

As for the course of action - 1. In your case, 1 is better since you don't know how to actually profit on fights and without it you'll be soon consumed by repair tolls.

Ulminati said:
Where should Paco go from here?
Your good luck so far is hard to pass up and not to cash in on with opt2, but fightan/lootan isn't what SR2 is all about, so show us some text quests! Option 1.

Also, watching you waste such an awesome micromodule on a substandard hull was a painful experience. But I haven't played on 'Normal' in a while, so not sure how common quality equipment/mmodules/arts are on that difficulty. Your game's been surprisingly easy, so far, I have to say.

RK47 said:
the intro + in-game screens turned them off
:rpgcodex:

RK47

Patron
Multiple Sarcasm said:
Ulminati said:
Where should Paco go from here?
Your good luck so far is hard to pass up and not to cash in on with opt2, but fightan/lootan isn't what SR2 is all about, so show us some text quests! Option 1.

Also, watching you waste such an awesome micromodule on a substandard hull was a painful experience. But I haven't played on 'Normal' in a while, so not sure how common quality equipment/mmodules/arts are on that difficulty. Your game's been surprisingly easy, so far, I have to say.

RK47 said:
the intro + in-game screens turned them off
:rpgcodex:

Normal is way too easy as long as you don't take a lot of risk. Heck, I iron-manned one run till I unlocked Rapid Hull with 1000 speed and 250k credits to spare...decided to ramp up Dominator to Strong and enjoyed the slightly improved challenge. Half the Rangers roster are empty. They're KIAs. :) And I'm now staving off Dominators from the last Science Station in the galaxy....Epic.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Pope Amole said:
Dude, you've made my eyes almost bleed - wasting a red micromodule on such a fucking bad hull. Wasting a bloody red micromodule on a heap of trash! Sure, you've got yourself a bit of the advantage in the beginning, but 330 carrying capacity is ridiculous in terms of looting stuff and you'll sorely miss it later because it's freaking hard to find (or buy, even, they're worth 1000+ nodes and it's hard to collect that many) another one.

As for the course of action - 1. In your case, 1 is better since you don't know how to actually profit on fights and without it you'll be soon consumed by repair tolls.

Multiple Sarcasm said:

What's wrong, codex?

trollface2_122.jpg

I honestly had no idea. I just saw some thingmabob and it gave my hull an awesome upgrade. How was I to know it was supposedly super-rare? Ah well, I still expect Paco to die stupidly, so maybe his successor will be wiser.

That said, if not for the extra 12 points of damage absorbation, Paco would've been spaced half a dozen time in that update.

RK47 said:
Normal is way too easy as long as you don't take a lot of risk. Heck, I iron-manned one run till I unlocked Rapid Hull with 1000 speed and 250k credits to spare...decided to ramp up Dominator to Strong and enjoyed the slightly improved challenge. Half the Rangers roster are empty. They're KIAs. :) And I'm now staving off Dominators from the last Science Station in the galaxy....Epic.

Am I reading this right? Is it possible to un-ironman a save? Because at the moment I can't play any other pilots unless I want the LP save to be overwritten.

Donaroriak

Augur
Project: Eternity
Option 1 and thanks for pushing me over the brim and making me acquire this great game. It is real fun! My work productivity has declined 99% :)

Wow, Paco owes the RNG god some sexual favors for that drop there. And yes, using it on that hull was a bad idea. 3 months from now you will have tons of money and want a nice 500+ hull that can take 5 missile launchers for more dakka.

Have you sold the dominator equipment to science stations? Selling stuff otherwise only gets about 40-70% return based on trading skill, but science stations pay either 100% or 200% worth.

Option 2, defend use your countrymen as bullet sponges.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
So far votes are split 3-3. Does this mean I should take missions, but only if they send me into dominator-controlled systems?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
In case of a tie, Pacos vote on Pacos action will be the tiebreaker :p

May or may not play in an hour or two. Depends on whether or not LoL sucks me in like a mutant whore with 4 mouths.

RK47

Patron
Overweight Manatee said:
Wow, Paco owes the RNG god some sexual favors for that drop there. And yes, using it on that hull was a bad idea. 3 months from now you will have tons of money and want a nice 500+ hull that can take 5 missile launchers for more dakka.

Have you sold the dominator equipment to science stations? Selling stuff otherwise only gets about 40-70% return based on trading skill, but science stations pay either 100% or 200% worth.

Option 2, defend use your countrymen as bullet sponges.

Yeah, there's plenty of basic skills that standard rangers would and would not need, depending on how much he knows about the game. But Science Vessel 100% Alien Tech sales policy definitely made the trader skill completely useless. Also, do not forget - Stimulants can max out combat skills :) Time Galliistra is my favorite even if I'm just trading since it boosts your speed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom