Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SpellForce: Conquest of Eo - strategy RPG from Fantasy General 2 devs

This is definitely better than AoW4
Eh, it does SOME things better and some worse.
Overall I probably like the mood/flavor of this one slightly more, but there's still a fuckload of room for improvement in both.

AoW4 is definitely ahead in size, scope, production value and overall variety, but the way they tried their hardest to make every single thing about factions entirely malleable by the player robbed these of any distinctive identity.
S:CoE on the other hand has an interesting blend of mechanics between conventional 4X and RPG, has archetypes for the player that rely on vastly different approaches (alchemist, Runemaster, Necro) and I like how they handle your grimoire and heroes... But a lot of the game feels like a first draft setting the scene for a future and far more ambitious sequel, some unit models are hideous beyond belief, the AI cheats too shamelessly shitting out full stacks of units out of thin air even in front of you, etc.

P.S. On a side note... Why the hell is this game in the RPG section and not under "Tactical games"?

Beowulf

Arcane
Why the hell would you want that in the "Tactical games" and not "Strategy games"?
I guess it's here because every game with the RPG store tag lands in the rpg subforum, and there are elements that some might argue would categorize it as such.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
This is definitely better than AoW4
Eh, it does SOME things better and some worse.
Except AoW4 is literally unplayable in both single and multiplayer due to how unbalanced it is. CoE has an idea and it executes it well. It has 3 distinct wizard styles to play and starting position affects your army composition quite a lot while also not limiting you to that in the long run. It has many winning conditions that you can mix and match, you don't even have to fight the other mages if you don't want to. It's also very difficult if you play it ironman. Along with many other virtues, I can assure you. The only thing that is really missing for me in terms of singleplayer is tough boss monsters/encounters that are optional but require a very good party to beat (maybe as another win condition?). Allegedly, there are boss monsters in the new DLC, so maybe we'll get that.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Did they add different initial army set ups or is it still always gobbos?
It's always gobbos, but how fast you have access to other units depends on your starting location, your spell and wizard choices, and what you do. That's because all other units are more powerful than gobbos by default due to the racial penalties of gobbos.

Why the hell would you want that in the "Tactical games" and not "Strategy games"?
I guess it's here because every game with the RPG store tag lands in the rpg subforum, and there are elements that some might argue would categorize it as such.
Because the game is in equal measure a Strategy game and a game with tactical battles, so it's more or less a coin toss where you'd prefer to classify it?
It doesn't matter, anyway. The point was that BOTH would be more fitting options that keeping this under "RPG".

ArchAngel

Arcane
Because the game is in equal measure a Strategy game and a game with tactical battles, so it's more or less a coin toss where you'd prefer to classify it?
It doesn't matter, anyway. The point was that BOTH would be more fitting options that keeping this under "RPG".
Well it is more like HoMM than Civilization so it should go wherever HoMM goes.

Lacrymas

Arcane
It's a 4X where you send out your RPG parties on quests and get to fight their battles. All units are distinct enough to be a full-fledged character in an RPG and on top of that you have heroes and apprentices.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
One thing this game needs to to push the limits on the crafting. Generate random undead recipies, add new stuff to undead based on the stuff you put in them, and so on. That would easily take it to the next level. Has some relatively unique stuff, just needs a little boost.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I finished an artificer run a few days ago on hard, but I played very badly and didn't explore all my possibilities as an artificer, so I can squeeze out another playthrough from that. I'm playing an alchemist starting in Draycott now.

jungl

Augur
Game is fun but is more slower tedious version of lords of magic keeping units alive.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Game is fun but is more slower tedious version of lords of magic keeping units alive.
Don't overly obsess over keeping lowly goblins alive and it will be fine. The melee goblins are an awful unit with very limited use even if kept alive until level 15.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I was thinking of doing a run of this and will likely only do one. I dabbled around with alchemist a bit at release but then decided to wait a bit for patches.

Which class would you guys recommend?
Is there one class thats clearly the best experience most fun/fulfilling? Is any boring?

DoWhocares

Literate
I was thinking of doing a run of this and will likely only do one. I dabbled around with alchemist a bit at release but then decided to wait a bit for patches.

Is there one class thats clearly the best experience most fun/fulfilling? Is any boring?
No experience with negro or the new demons, but artificer is a mindless roflstomp with super OP units if you're into that sort of thing, while alchemist has a very engaging playstyle - the most fun I've had with a game in years. Just be advised - if you suffer from that "too good to use syndrome," alchemical arts may very well drive you insane. Need to adopt a smoke em if you got em approach there.

Lacrymas

Arcane

Artificer - most powerful recruitable units due to being able to add stats/abilities through glyphs.
Alchemist - heavy usage of consumables (so not recommended for hoarders who simply can't force themselves to use consumables).
Necromancer and Occultist - these have the same base idea, you create themed armies, whether undead or demons.

All of them are interesting in one way or another, but if you just want a straightforward experience of recruiting units on the map and building up your tower, Artificer is the way to go.

Parabalus

Arcane
Occultist is a good choice since it's a bit of a mix and match of the others.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom