Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Splinter Cell Conviction: My impressions

Vibalist

Arcane
Wow, better that MGS and almost on par with five years old game. Fucking achievement.

Where did I use the phrase "almost on par with"? AI in Splinter Cell is good, you heard it here first.

But are they any better?

Yes.

No, it's a major flaw of the series.

Nope.

You still failed to demonstrate how Chaos Theory is better than games released five and seven years before.

It comes down to all the small things, I guess. I never said Splinter Cell beats Thief by a country mile, merely that I see them as better games.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Chaos Theory is better than any Thief game I've played (which would be all three).
I would agree with that.

edit-
You still failed to demonstrate how Chaos Theory is better than games released five and seven years before.
you failed to demonstrate that your posts are actually real and not a hallucination and should be responded to

Twinkle

Liturgist
Wow, better that MGS and almost on par with five years old game. Fucking achievement.

Where did I use the phrase "almost on par with"? AI in Splinter Cell is good, you heard it here first.

Vibalist said:
Thief certainly didn't do a much better job than Splinter Cell in this regard, did it?

If Thief didn't do much better job, SC's AI was almost the same in quality, right?

It comes down to all the small things, I guess. I never said Splinter Cell beats Thief by a country mile, merely that I see them as better games

They are indeed good for what they are, esp. part 3.

kingcomrade said:
you failed to demonstrate that your posts are actually real and not a hallucination and should be responded to

You should consult with psychiatrist if you are seeing posts which don't exist in reality. Sadly, I can't help you. :(

Divinity: Original Sin
AI in games are overestimated. They are all predictable in every game.

That being said, the AI in thief series is better because they talk like people should. They hear sound and act accordingly. They beat the hell out of you if in group, and with swords.

In splinter cel chaos theory, the only thing worth saying is that they wake up uncouncious comrades. but they're too generic. Though I like their dialogue when they're on sam fisher's grasp.

but they're all stupid and after figuring out their mechanics, they're dumb.

Vibalist

Arcane
Twinkle said:

Vibalist said:
Thief certainly didn't do a much better job than Splinter Cell in this regard, did it?

If Thief didn't do much better job, SC's AI was almost the same in quality, right?

All I did was point out that Thief didn't have good AI, now that Black Cat seemed to hold bad AI against Splinter Cell. I never said the AI in SC was comparable to that in Thief. It's been a while since I've played Thief, but I remember the AI in that game being inferior to the AI in SC.

Donkey Balls

Educated
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/article ... Conviction
Whereas previous installments have asked you to learn an array of contextual controls in order to perform stunts as outrageous as straddling alleyways and running up walls, Conviction pares the stealth genre down to the core. Gone is the black suit. Gone, the multiple flavors of night vision. Gone, the pistol that doubles as a lightbulb disabling device. Gone the bionic ears, gone the wall-climbing, gone the alley-straddling and gone the exhaustive (and exhausting) mission briefs. What's left? Plenty of kick ass.

<...>

All of Sam's moves are now contextual, meaning a single button press is all it takes to throw a man from a ledge, or bash down a door in someone's face, or drop boots-first onto a bad guy's head, or climb a wall, or shimmy up a pipe or more. Playing Splinter Cell is now less about guessing and pressing and more about actually doing kick-ass shit in the game, which has been a long time coming.

<...>

Bemoan the loss of mini-maps, compasses and extended move trees if you like, but in Conviction, you don't need them and the result is a nearly-seamless, truly immersive stealth action experience. You will (almost) always know where to go, what your objective is and at least one way of achieving it. Scout around a bit, and you'll more than likely also be able to find a couple of more clever ways of going forward.

<...>

Bottom Line: Splinter Cell: Conviction is the best installment in the series. The developers took some major risks in design and presentation that paid off, resulting in a game that's at once approachable and complex, and arguably the current last word in stealth adventure.

Recommendation: If you enjoy stealth games, you can't go wrong with this one. If you're new to the genre, this is an excellent place to start.

MapMan

Arcane
Donkey Balls said:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/7453-Review-Splinter-Cell-Conviction
Whereas previous installments have asked you to learn an array of contextual controls in order to perform stunts as outrageous as straddling alleyways and running up walls, Conviction pares the stealth genre down to the core. Gone is the black suit. Gone, the multiple flavors of night vision. Gone, the pistol that doubles as a lightbulb disabling device. Gone the bionic ears, gone the wall-climbing, gone the alley-straddling and gone the exhaustive (and exhausting) mission briefs. What's left? Plenty of kick ass.

<...>

All of Sam's moves are now contextual, meaning a single button press is all it takes to throw a man from a ledge, or bash down a door in someone's face, or drop boots-first onto a bad guy's head, or climb a wall, or shimmy up a pipe or more. Playing Splinter Cell is now less about guessing and pressing and more about actually doing kick-ass shit in the game, which has been a long time coming.

<...>

Bemoan the loss of mini-maps, compasses and extended move trees if you like, but in Conviction, you don't need them and the result is a nearly-seamless, truly immersive stealth action experience. You will (almost) always know where to go, what your objective is and at least one way of achieving it. Scout around a bit, and you'll more than likely also be able to find a couple of more clever ways of going forward.

<...>

Bottom Line: Splinter Cell: Conviction is the best installment in the series. The developers took some major risks in design and presentation that paid off, resulting in a game that's at once approachable and complex, and arguably the current last word in stealth adventure.

Recommendation: If you enjoy stealth games, you can't go wrong with this one. If you're new to the genre, this is an excellent place to start.

:rage:

Conviction pares the stealth genre down to the core. Gone is the black suit. Gone, the multiple flavors of night vision. Gone, the pistol that doubles as a lightbulb disabling device. Gone the bionic ears, gone the wall-climbing, gone the alley-straddling and gone the exhaustive (and exhausting) mission briefs. What's left? Plenty of generic shootan.

LazyD

Liturgist
kingcomrade said:
edit-

[Wis] King Komrade of Kodexia is a Metaphysical solipsist.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Angthoron said:
[snip]

IGN said:
9.0 Presentation
Stylish menus and cool projection technology make for a unique experience. The story is an amalgamation of different seasons of 24, but it's nice to see Sam so angry.
8.5 Graphics
Nice animations. Gritty but good-looking environments. The framerate occasionally dips, but it's nothing major.
9.0 Sound
Michael Ironside does a great job reprising his role as Sam Fisher. The enemies have some nice quips. Solid musical score.
9.0 Gameplay
Stealth is fast and fun. Mark & Execute is a great addition. The AI is excellent if you play on Realistic difficulty.
8.0 Lasting Appeal
The single-player and co-op campaigns are short, but there's a lot of other things to do. And you'll probably want to play through everything more than once.
Outstanding
OVERALL
(out of 10)

Hooray for ProBroJournalists.

As they say around here, you can't spell "IGNorance" without "IGN". Not that other major review-sites are any better, and further proof that they're on the majors' payroll.

I liked Pandora Tomorrow. I enjoyed Chaos Theory in a slightly lesser grade. This one sucks. Double agent was meh. Everyh other "Tom Clancy [put cool words here]" game I've tried sucked meatballs.

Angthoron

Arcane
Rainbow 6 is neat. Anything else is trash. And I honestly don't know why they even want to stamp this guy's name on games anyway. Maybe Splinter Cell has dialogues worth listening, RS6 and the rest certainly have nothing I'd really care to read.

Kinda like David Gaider's Dragon Age: Obligatory Subtitle.

Donkey Balls

Educated
Surprised nobody has posted this one yet.

http://www.edge-online.com/news/ubisoft ... o-hardcore
'Ubisoft Felt Splinter Cell Was Too Hardcore'

Ubisoft Montreal’s Max Beland has told us that his primary goal as creative director on Splinter Cell: Conviction was to make the series more accessible.

Beland was brought on to the project around two years ago, halfway through its protracted development period.

“I joined the team in January of 2008 and at the beginning the goal was to fix the things that weren’t happening. Ubisoft had identified that there were some major issues with the game,” he said.

“We tried to make the whole fugitive direction work for about two months [but] we would have needed more time and at one point you have to decide whether you continue to iterate or do you just pull the plug and do something else.

“So after two months we had a discussion with [Ubisoft] Paris… and they asked us to propose something else… The first thing we identified was that we needed to focus on the core values of Splinter Cell: stealth, realism, tactics, lights and shadow, gadgets, Sam Fisher – all of these things, we wanted to do them, but Ubisoft didn’t want us to make another Double Agent or another Chaos Theory.

“Although Chaos Theory was an amazing game, I think the issue that Ubisoft identified was that, out of everybody that is attracted by the fantasy of playing Sam Fisher, when they actually get to play it, we lose a lot of people. Stealth, I think, has always been delivered as very hardcore gameplay."

According to Beland, the last Splinter Cell outing, 2006’s Double Agent, sold over one million copies, which he deemed a respectable figure.

“… But Ubisoft obviously wanted to see if there was a way to please even more people, to get more people interested in the brand and the genre. That was the mandate and the challenge that we got - can we make stealth something that more people want to play, can we address the issues that people have with the genre.

“So we did our homework. We did a lot of playtesting, a lot of consumer research, we talked to a lot of gamers and there were a lot of themes that were coming back all the time: stealth is punitive, stealth is slow. It was funny, because when you watch the movies they’re not that. James Bond and Jason Bourne run fast, they don’t make noise, they kill one, two, three or four guys super quickly and silently with a sound suppressor, so it’s a lot more dynamic. So we needed to do something with that.

“We need to make the ten people who are attracted to Splinter Cell and stealth happy, we can’t just make two happy because they want to hide in the shadows and look at the control paths for a minute and then steady the camera placement. I think it’s a good and fun type of stealth gameplay but it’s hardcore.”

So the fifth major outing for Sam Fisher represents somewhat of a departure for the series. It’s a faster–paced game than its predecessors, using sneaking only as a stopgap between quick, brutal strikes, and you’re not harshly punished for being spotted or engaging enemies. That’s not to say it dispenses with core gameplay features like the use of light or shadow – “you can shoot out every light in the game,” Beland said - but you won’t find yourself dragging around and hiding dead bodies.

“I think the number one feature to me is Sam,” Beland added. “Sam’s back as the guy that he should have been all along. Sam is a guy who’s fast, he’s quick on his toes and he can run without making a lot of noise. He can be hanging on a ledge and not have to be moving at one centimetre per minute. Sam is a panther, not a grandmother, and that’s my line to the team. I think that’s a good image for what we want to do. All of Sam’s navigation is faster and more dynamic than ever.”

Splinter Cell: Conviction for Xbox 360 launched in the US today and will hit UK stores this Friday, with a PC version following later this month. While it’s a Microsoft console exclusive, Beland previously told us that the franchise may still have a future on PS3.

And while he refused to comment directly on whether plans for a Conviction follow up were already in motion, he suggested there’ll be more series outings in the not too distant future, in line with Ubisoft’s goal of releasing core franchise updates on a 12-18 month basis.

MetalCraze said:
DriacKin said:
So... that makes Hitman the only stealth series left that's still worthwhile?

Hitman is owned by Square Enix now
It's seriously fuck up man

oh god, what? :lol:

in before shops of 47 with cloud's hair and double swords instead of pistols

edit: duh, Eidos. I already knew that. Guess it's sheer absurdity-induced amnesia

Achilles

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
They could at least stop pretending it's "stealth", then

This. And by the way, I really hate this new mentality of "one button does it all for you". We're no longer playing games, they're playing themselves.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Splinter Cell too hardcore?

I liked the games but jesus, they were not "hardcore." By hardcore I mean games that are extremely difficult unless you totally understand all of the mechanics. The Splinter Cell games were great, but not hardcore. The mechanics were simple, and that's something I liked. People cannot see you if your Light Meter is on the darkness end. You hack computers and use your fiberoptics to scout.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I agree with the last couple of posts. Splinter Cell games have never been "too hardcore" at any point. Not even just "hardcore", in fact. They were well balanced games, and maybe they sold less than the developed wished for because they weren't piss easy (I still found them easy). Now they have fixed that, with this last instalment, and the Splinter Cell game can now be fully enjoyed by hordes of dumb console-kiddos who cannot manage to remember what more than 5 buttons do (I play console myself, and no offence meant to console people, but that's how it goes: to please the masses, let's "dumben" the game).

Thief was hardcore. Commandos was hardcore. TFX was hardcore (200+ keys to keep in mind). IL2 sturmovik was hardcore. Splinter Cell Conviction isn't, by any standard.

Also, apparently, developers see "patience" as something wrong. Any game that can't be beaten by rushing head-down into the enemy while unleashing a hell of lead is considered wrong. Therefore, cover systems, and that's what the entire game revolves around, reaching new levels of redundancy and retarded-ness (Mass Effect 2, anyone?).

And what really annoys me more is the general washing down of game difficulty. FFS, in the last 5 years, I can't remember a single game at the end of which I didn't think "well, nice game, but a tad too easy". And its' not like I'm super-skilled or something, all the contrary if anything.

Donkey Balls

Educated
Well, Mirror's Edge was the last hardcore mainstream game that I played. It requires pretty good reflexes and plenty of patience, since you're gonna die a lot before you figure out a viable escape route. Still, it was pretty successful, even despite all the whining from the casual gamers who couldn't beat it.

Anyway, EA>>>Ubi.

Donkey Balls said:
Well, Mirror's Edge was the last hardcore mainstream game that I played. It requires pretty good reflexes and plenty of patience, since you're gonna die a lot before you figure out a viable escape route. Still, it was pretty successful, even despite all the whining from the casual gamers who couldn't beat it.

Well it wasn't really hardcore but it sure seems hardcore compared to most other shit out there nowadays. It even had health regen, but at least it did fit the style of the game for once.

Ermm

Erudite
I have only played and completed Pandora Tomorrow but oh man it was WAAY too generic for my tastes.

Yeah difficulty was well balanced, mood was there, first few levels were amazing but too much copy and paste.

Havent been interested in any Splinter Cell since that.

Divinity: Original Sin
Just finished downloading yesterday. Installed and i'm playing it.

the mark and execute thing is not so lame as I thought. You can't really use it everytime. you only can use if you kill enemies in hand-to-hand combat. and you have limited numbers of marks. And even by having them you probably not use them that much.

Other complaints I see here are the "one button" for everything. There's lots of buttons, and each one of then have more than one use. It's kind of a mess. In fact, the gameply and UI work almost like previous splinter cells, but instead of having submenus when using action button and chosing your options, you have your option written all over the scenery.

A that's the bad thing: there letters everywhere taking you out of the game. it's jump written over all the tables, boxer, as if there were stickers all around you.

And the stealth: damn, WTF? when in shadows, the game turns Black-and-white. Its one of the most annoying features ever made. It's worse than bloom. It goes back and fort to B&W and color, that looks like the game is completely out of control, and wants to make your mind the same way.

there's no way to lift bodies. and you can only kill enemies, it's impossible to knock them. Also, its impossible to play the game as a ghost, you'll aways have to kill bad guys. You can at least use them as shields, but can't knock. Only when scripted.

The animations are bad, sam climbing posts looks horrible. And although he's agile, it's still far from the likes of altair or the prince, which is at least a good thing.

Oh, almost forgot: the last known position thing... it is a useless feature that never existed in any stealth game, but they force it to be useful here. Emphsis on FORCE. They even point you to the AI that detected you. And there's lots of convenient boxes for "cover" system.

But i must admit that as different this game is, it really looks like a splinter cell game, with features striped down. Sam fisher is still voiced by michael ironside, so it could be worse. One of the things that bothered me a lot was how they made sam fisher younger and more "handsome", when i first saw the pics of the new version of conviction. But in game at least he looks older than the previous bald fisher.

It could be better if you could get rid of the black-and-whitenessing. And all those stickers and movies playing on the wall. And manage to knock out or outsmart the AI without alerting them.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Donkey Balls said:
Well, Mirror's Edge was the last hardcore mainstream game that I played.

Mirror's Edge[...]hardcore
hardcore mainstream
Tell me you are joking

It requires pretty good reflexes and plenty of patience, since you're gonna die a lot before you figure out a viable escape route.
Even without retarded red visual helpers and that "show me the direction" button I had problems figuring where to go only twice during the whole game. It was pretty easy otherwise, I always saw where to run and where to jump. I must be an ubermensch or something.

It's just an easy platformer for one or two evenings.

Anyway, EA>>>Ubi.

EA = Ubi = shit

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom