Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Spoony's PnP Tales

Caim

Arcane
I'd dress him up in the fighter's metal armour before tying him up. I'm assuming the reason why druid's can't wear metal is because it inhibit's their nature powers. Though I can't find a definitive answer on that one...
We have a winner. In 3e druids lose all their Druish powers when putting on metal armor and have to wait at least a day to get it back prior to removing it. In 5e you can't cast at all in armor you're not proficient with, so unless your DM pulls out of his ass that the druid dipped fighter he won't be able to cast.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Evil Druid, since when did they stop being neutral?

Let's see steal the thoughts from his mind without waking him using a Psionicist or Wizard with the correct spells. Make a transparent spell cage using one of the host of Wizard spells. Inflict a geas upon him while he sleeps. Use one of the various Hold or paralyzation spells, though you'd have to have one that allows verbal communication. Have another shapechanger present of higher level or deadliness, there are only a few forms a Druid can take and they can be accounted for. Also wasn't there a spell dealing with form stability or somesuch?

Failing that just have the party ready to chop him up at the first sign of shapechanging, the Thief gets his backstab, the Fighter an attack of opportunity, etc. He'd be hamburger before getting ten feet.

Last edited:

Xathrodox86

Arbiter
Sure, we'd all love to see incredibly complex planning in our CRPGs involving someone dressing up as a cheese merchant, the rogue sneaking in through the castle's toilet shaft, the druid sneaking around as a cat looking to start strategic fires and the Wizard creating illusions in that one house that everyone says houses a vampire. The problem is, having complete and true freedom like that is near impossible to do in a CRPG because there are just too many variables. I mean, in a P&P game you could buy regular weapons, hide your powerful ones inside of the Shardmind and hand your cheap stuff over when you're frisked at the castle so you can confront the king with evidence that his vizer is up to no good. But who'd think about programming that kind of stuff in a CRPG?

Yep. Here's a little test, see how you people would handle this situation:

You got a party of six: Fighter, Rogue, Wizard, Cleric, Ranger and Bard. You've managed to knock out an evil Druid whom you were hired to capture and hand over to the authorities for a trial. The thing is, the moment he wakes up he's gonna transform into something and run away, so just tying him up isn't going to work. And that's discounting his Druish magic. How do you handle this situation without killing the Druid?

or alternatively place him in a wooden box, nail it down and be done with it? I don't know how Druids work in DnD but unless he'd transform into a fucking bear, the box should suffice.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
We'd usually roll 3 columns of 3d6 and one 4d6. The 3d6 columns you could place the numbers where you wanted and the 4d6 column you had to take as is. Sometimes we'd go 3d6 down the line and other times we'd power game 3rd level characters with 4d6 reroll 1's. I had a couple of truly memorable characters for each of these methods. For some reason, I think the 3d6 method Spoony is talking about works better for a group that gets to play at least once a week.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Not good? The bitch you say!

IiwH2Dr.png

Caim

Arcane
Sure it's amusing, but the quality of the product in general lacks behind that of the BoEF.

Plus, the part where Spoony reads that bit is amongst the funniest he's been in quite a while. Dude's got improv talent.

HotSnack

Cipher
It dates how old that book is, but I'm surprised Spoony didn't get what the Collosal Gay Al reference was despite saying it aloud several times.

Caim

Arcane
It dates how old that book is, but I'm surprised Spoony didn't get what the Collosal Gay Al reference was despite saying it aloud several times.
Well the reference is still in the show, right? I haven't watched it in a while, but I do remember him being in the game.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So um, what was the Drama with Spoony and rolling stats recently? I can't sit still long enough to watch the 30 minute video.
Nothing serious. Spoony said that those who are just re-rolling until they get the best stats are pussies, because if you are hardcore, you play with the character you roll for the first time.

Caim

Arcane
Way back in his impressions of 5E video he went on a tirade about how people became coddled with the ease of post 2E. Apparently this caused some sort of uproar, somewhere.
Yep. The real killer was that he backpedaled in the recent stat rolling video by making an off-handed comment about this not working in the more recent editions, making his entire point moot.

Delterius

Arcane
Here's the thing. That whole video was a knee jerk reaction. He says so himself the first few minutes, he hadn't even yet played a game. Further, it was before Spoony started sorta taking notes. The result is that rolled up in one video is lots of weird criticism and even the pertinent ones were poorly thought out. That's why his 3D6 video was so important.

Lhynn

Arcane
its true that the newer editions are easier. for one luck isnt as big a factor, and we all know in older editions bad luck was the same as death. Also 5e monsters mostly feautre hp bloat and lower damage with skills that are not lethal.

I liked AD&D because it wasnt as structured, you could face enemies of any level at any level, and the difference in power would dictate how the party would tackle it. In here you are called out if you go too high over the CR for the party.

Caim

Arcane
How shitty is CR in 5e, anyway? From what I've gathered it was used best as a loose guideline in 3e.

Lhynn

Arcane
Naturally its a more controlled environment, so its really accurate. Thats the issue really, the more you structure your game, the more formulaic it becomes, and formulas are boring.

A for 3e, that system was so utterly broken that nothing implemented worked right. and all of its elements worked against actually playing the game, its amazing how bad it was.

m_s0

Arcane
This is a huge problem I have with watching Spoony, he gets so fucking mad about the dumbest shit. The first video I ever saw of his was his avatar review, and him and his brother talk about how its just kind of generic and then by the end of the video, Spoony is just screaming and screaming about how offensive he found the whole thing and how it's stupid anyone likes it and bitch bitch bitch. Like he's just a whiny bitch, through and through.
Yup, he does whine a lot. He can do better than that, mind you - and he has done better when first started making videos - but that seems to be the default mode he's been stuck in for a long time now. He used to have a bit more bite. Now he's mostly about assuming a comically over the top 'butch' kind of authority, which I'm not sure he realizes tends to make him look like a whiny bitch, especially when he doesn't rein it in.

Easier (and more financially viable, I bet) to do what he's doing than to analyze and do a proper critique. I wish he'd get more into the latter. Anyone know any channels for that? Most I've come across were embarassing to watch, frankly.

A few of those recent CM videos were pretty good, though.

Xathrodox86

Arbiter
Nothing serious. Spoony said that those who are just re-rolling until they get the best stats are pussies, because if you are hardcore, you play with the character you roll for the first time.

I'm always allowing for re-rolls when I'm GM'ing. However I always take the first result as a player, just because. It keeps things more interesting.

Lhynn

Arcane
Naw, because they were as shit as paladins. they are basically unplayably bad and underpowered and cant challenge anything for shit.

We are talking about chosen by god characters that are simply put, among the weakest classes in the game. Being a paladin used to mean something, in 3e all it meant is that you were a cleric that was severely gimped.

Caim

Arcane
To be honest though, compared to the Cleric pretty much every divine spellcasting class but the Archivist are severely gimped.

Lhynn

Arcane
My point is that nothing is special anymore. Everything that could have been good or interesting became a trap choice instead, that cheapened those concepts too much.

Caim

Arcane
Fair enough. 3e is full with trap options designed as "choices" for the player, and the designers refuse to admit they fucked up.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom