Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squadron 42 is content complete and in the polishing phase

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
gay.png

quaesta

Educated

Zeriel

Arcane
Great, so they are almost done, only the "gameplay polishing" phase is left and once this is complete, they will release the ga…oh wait, no, they‘ll transition into an "optimization and stability" phase afterwards. Yeah, right… :lol: ANY DAY NOW BOYS, ANY DAY NOW.
JUST A FEW MICROISSUES!
grimoirel1i63.png
Hey it's out, and he's working on a sequel. So Cleve > Sir-Tech.

Unfortunately it's entirely possible he died waiting for the game to come out.

quaesta

Educated
Great, so they are almost done, only the "gameplay polishing" phase is left and once this is complete, they will release the ga…oh wait, no, they‘ll transition into an "optimization and stability" phase afterwards. Yeah, right… :lol: ANY DAY NOW BOYS, ANY DAY NOW.
JUST A FEW MICROISSUES!
grimoirel1i63.png
Hey it's out, and he's working on a sequel. So Cleve > Sir-Tech.

Unfortunately it's entirely possible he died waiting for the game to come out.
Should have eaten adrenal glands, that's how you become a lich.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I think economists should and will be studying this game for years to come. I realize that there have been similar business models like SC's in the past, various levels of basically scams such as ponzis and pyramids whose goal it is to continue the income without actually providing any kind of real service or product, but SC has to be unique in this manner.

Since RSI is making so much money, on such a consistent basis, for so long, why would they ever actually want to provide a completed product? The glacial pace of development along with the continued promises and endorphine supply from continually supporting them is the product. I've said this before, but it's obscenely brilliant. It's like a license to just print money.

What would this kind of financial scheme even be called? The Stockholm Model? The Black Hole?

quaesta

Educated
I think economists should and will be studying this game for years to come. I realize that there have been similar business models like SC's in the past, various levels of basically scams such as ponzis and pyramids whose goal it is to continue the income without actually providing any kind of real service or product, but SC has to be unique in this manner.

Since RSI is making so much money, on such a consistent basis, for so long, why would they ever actually want to provide a completed product? The glacial pace of development along with the continued promises and endorphine supply from continually supporting them is the product. I've said this before, but it's obscenely brilliant. It's like a license to just print money.

What would this kind of financial scheme even be called? The Stockholm Model? The Black Hole?
The Dream Model. You're paying not for a product but a dream.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

The Dream Model. You're paying not for a product but a dream.

Yeah this is it, tapping into the dream of the everything game.

I haven't put any money into it, but I can't say I'm unsusceptible to the dream - to the extent that part of me hopes they do actually finish it one day.

Zeriel

Arcane

It's on a much smaller scale, but there ARE some EA projects that I would argue fall into this category too. Look at 7 Days to Die, a game that has had fairly high levels of sales for going on a decade and hasn't advanced out of alpha in that time. You can kind of understand the incentives at work, how the developers know in their gut that they will only be penalized for producing a final product, but it's still sad to see them actively churning their gears in place, removing good work they did previously to rework and abandon the basic gameplay loop over and over again.

It's a funny rejoinder in my mind to the hivemind consensus back in the Black Isle-shutting-down-days of RPGCodex that greedy publishers were the evil enemy that once vanquished would lead to an industry paradise. It turned out the real enemy was human greed and complacency, which is a lot harder to vanquish.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I just reinstalled Freelancer (d/l game from abandonware website -> Freelancer HD from ModDB, works great, don't need anything else) after seeing the thread about Underspace, an indie game that's a sort of spiritual successor (with a slight Lovecraftian angle), and it reminded me of the promise of this Everything Game. (Freelancer had after all initially been advertized as an earlier attempt by Roberts at an Everything Game). Wondering about how SC is getting on, I actually looked at that 2 month old vid linked in the OP, and I've got to say I'm quite impressed. It all looks pretty spiffy, and Gillian Anderson, Mark Hammill, numerous famous British character actors, etc. - you can see where some of the money's gone right there.

I mean, in the end, does it matter, does anybody really care how long it takes (within a few years here and there) or how much it costs (within a few tens of millions here and there), so long as the dream of the Everything Game actually comes to some sort of fruition? Say Squadron 42 is finished 2 years from now, and the full MMO a few years after that, won't it all have been worth it in the end?

Well, it will if the game works and the gameplay's fun - but that's the real qualm I have. Freelancer is fun because it's arcadey and simple. One wonders how much the pursuit of immersion, detailed anims for everything, potentially over-fussy flight model, etc., etc., etc. - how much will that drag the game down? It's my belief that there's nothing intrinsically wrong with those things, but that the amount of extra tweaking and refinement and Q&A you have to do to get that kind of complexity and simulation sitting right to make a fun experience is probably enormous.

But then again, if we're to believe Roberts and his team, that kind of attention to detail is exactly what they've been spending their time on :)

Oh well, time, as always, will tell.

KeAShizuku

Novice
There are so many washed out has been game developers who don't live in million dollar LA mansions. Gotta give CR credit.

Zeriel

Arcane
What I don't understand is how can they have so many actors involved.

Actors want money just the same as anyone else. More so really. You can get all but the most exclusive A list actors to record a video for you saying whatever for a few hundred bucks.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Exactly. But it doesn't seem as 'some video to record'. Rather, a damn hard work with possibly many hours. With people like Gary Oldman, Mark Hamill, Mark Strong, that other dude who played Krennick, and more at that.
I think this can't be about money. Their salaries would have to be in the range of ten to hundreds thousands.
In any case, including such known figures gives me a little bit more hope of this being finished one day.

Star Citizen Squadron 42 Performance Capture Actors Speak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXHsgucZuJk

EDIT: Now that it comes to mind, wasn't Hamill in one of the Wing Commanders too? It would make sense if he'd have talked Gary Oldman into the whole thing :D

Last edited:

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
What I don't understand is how can they have so many actors involved.
Chris the Scammer does not want to make games. He wants to direct movies. Always has.
Was he involved at all with the Wing Commander movie? If so, he should be punched in the dick and never be allowed anywhere near a film set again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom