Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gold Box SSI's Gold Box Series Thread

What are your favorite Gold Box games?

• Pool of Radiance

• Curse of the Azure Bonds

• Secret of the Silver Blades

• Pools of Darkness

• Champions of Krynn

• Death Knights of Krynn

• The Dark Queen of Krynn

• Gateway to the Savage Frontier

• Treasures of the Savage Frontier

• Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday

• Buck Rogers: Matrix Cubed

• Forgotten Realms: Unlimited Adventures (FRUA)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Null Null

Arbiter
When it says I've alerted the guards and there's like 10 goblin leaders and 10 normal goblins, did I do something bad? Or do I have to kill these guys no matter what?

I've looked through the dump Simeon Pilgrim did of the text of the game and no, you can't avoid that. It's the only text there.

Think about it--bashing, picking, or casting knock will all make noise and alert them.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
So what is it with the Goldbox license? Is it stuck on some corporate hellhole like System Shock 2 was or simply collecting dust bunnies in some Activision desk drawer?

Nobody knows. UBISoft bought SSI. They now own all of SSI's properties. UBISoft does NOT own D&D, so all the D&D games more than likely belong to WotC/HASBRO. I'm sure it is some completely complicated mess... like SS2.

Null Null

Arbiter
So what is it with the Goldbox license? Is it stuck on some corporate hellhole like System Shock 2 was or simply collecting dust bunnies in some Activision desk drawer?

Nobody knows. UBISoft bought SSI. They now own all of SSI's properties. UBISoft does NOT own D&D, so all the D&D games more than likely belong to WotC/HASBRO. I'm sure it is some completely complicated mess... like SS2.

Sounds pretty clear to me: the company that owns the rights to the games doesn't have the rights to make D&D games, and there isn't enough money involved to make fighting two corporate Level X monsters worthwhile. But I am a noob, and legal battles always have layers upon layers.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Everything with D&D went to shit when Wizards of the Coast bought them; the killed off Ravenloft, Dark Sun & Planescape, "revamped" Dragonlance and then they themsves got lost in the shuffle at Hasbro
Frankly I don't even post in the SSI new company because I am waiting to see what they can do, they did pretty well with their own IP and a Gold Box inspired game by them would be a dream come true...cortesy of kickstarter and unity no doubt

Servo

Arcane
What do bracers do? Because apparently nothing.

AC is armor plus DEX (i.e. minus DEX), right?

Damage is weapon plus STR? My fighter has STR 18/99, two-handed sword damage 1d10+5. I assume the additional +1 is from his STR/99?

Edit: my other fighter has STR 17, short bow +1 damage is 1d6+1. Shouldn't that be 1d6+3 or 4?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Bracers AC 6 lowers AC from 10 to 6. Armour is not cumulative. Dex is, and so is bonus from magical gear like Rings and Cloaks of Protection.
Bracers are designed for mages, but the more powerful ones (like Bracers AC 2) can be better than armour for the fighter types.

18(99) STR gives a THAC0 bonus of 2 and a Damage bonus of 5. I assume you meant "additional +5" instead of +1?

Servo

Arcane
Bracers AC 6 lowers AC from 10 to 6. Armour is not cumulative. Dex is, and so is bonus from magical gear like Rings and Cloaks of Protection.
Bracers are designed for mages, but the more powerful ones (like Bracers AC 2) can be better than armour for the fighter types.

18(99) STR gives a THAC0 bonus of 2 and a Damage bonus of 5. I assume you meant "additional +5" instead of +1?

Well, I'm used to 3.5e where STR 18 would give a damage bonus of +4. I was trying to figure out where the extra +1 was was coming from (making it +5 total).

So there is no damage bonus for anyone with STR 18 or lower? It's entirely based off of the number after the slash (/)?

Telengard

Arcane
In AD&D all bows are normal bows with a flat pull, so no Strength bonus. Much later, special Strength bows were added to the game that only those with a specific Strength could wield, though that's pnp only. And then much later still, Strength bows became the defacto norm.

So, a bow+1 is 1d6+1 only.

EDIT: They were really aggressive about not giving bonuses to combat back when.
to hit/damage
16 is +0/+1
17 is +1/+1.
18 is +1/+2

Servo

Arcane
In AD&D all bows are normal bows with a flat pull, so no Strength bonus. Much later, special Strength bows were added to the game that only those with a specific Strength could wield, though that's pnp only. And then much later still, Strength bows became the defacto norm.

Right, I knew that. But even with a long sword my other fighter (STR 17) has only 1d8+1 damage. I don't understand how damage bonuses are calculated in this game.

Last edited:

Telengard

Arcane
May as well complete my chart (I edited my earlier post)

They were really aggressive about not giving bonuses to combat back when.
to hit/damage
16 is +0/+1
17 is +1/+1
18 is +1/+2
18 (01-50) is +1/+3
18 (51-75) is +2/+3
18 (76-90) is +2/+4
(91-99) you know
18 (100) is +3/+6

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Actually Fine Longbows exist in Pool of Radiance, and they do deal extra damage if the wielder has exceptional Str, assuming it works the same as in FRUA (been a while since I played PoR). Nothing like an Enlarged, Hasted Fighter dealing 4 x 20 Damage per turn from a safe distance.

Telengard

Arcane

EDIT: They were really aggressive about not giving bonuses to combat back when.
to hit/damage
16 is +0/+1
17 is +1/+1.
18 is +1/+2
That's - To Hit on left and Damage on right. They were split rather than being one bonus.

Servo

Arcane

Telengard

Arcane
Actually Fine Longbows exist in Pool of Radiance, and they do deal extra damage if the wielder has exceptional Str, assuming it works the same as in FRUA (been a while since I played PoR). Nothing like an Enlarged, Hasted Fighter dealing 4 x 20 Damage per turn from a safe distance.
Probably is in there, if you remember it. I'd trust your memory over mine about the finer details of the Gold Box games. But it would be something I missed, certainly.

Telengard

Arcane
I thought it was AD&D. And I assumed those wouldn't be available on the web since they weren't OGL.
In the convoluted naming process that is D&D, AD&D/D&D 1st Edition are the same thing.

And AD&D material can indeed be found on the web, in case you want it. People probably shouldn't reproduce it, but they do.

Those Gold Box manuals were a butt to learn the game from, truly. Some important charts can be found in the appendix, though. Why there, I don't know. They thought it would be easier to do a brief overview, and leave the detail only for those who wanted it, I guess. Attribute, Race Level Limits, and Class Attack charts can all usually be found there.

Servo

Arcane
I've been looking over the OSRIC but I can't find the rules for +1 weapons and armor. Nor can I find them in the game manual or adventurer's journal. I'm trying to figure out exactly what it modifies, but it's probably as simple as:

weapon +1 = +1 to hit and +1 to damage
armor +1 = -1 to AC

Sound right?

Edit: pg. 30 for rules on magic armor, still looking for magic weapons.

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Right. Also, some monsters can only be hit by magic weapons.
Rings and Cloaks of Protection also lower the Saving Throws in addition to the AC bonus.

Servo

Arcane
Ok one more question (for now). My dwarf has STR 18/99 and a THAC0 of 17. He has a two-handed sword. He gets +2 to hit because of his STR, but where's the extra +1 to hit coming from? Also he's not blessed.

OSRIC pg. 3 says (when describing dwarves):

+1 to hit against goblins, half-orcs, hobgoblins, and orcs

Do the GB games just give you this bonus all the time because programming is hard or what?

Edit: dammit my other fighter (STR 17) has THAC0 18 with and without the short bow +1 equipped. So foncusing.

Last edited:

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yup 1st and 2nd Edition D&D is a bit confusing with the THACO, racial adjustments, etc.
I used to be a DM in my teens and it was quite a hassle, although using Ravenloft those campaigns tended to be much less combat intensive.
The to hit and to damage values always botherd me: they tried fixing it on the 3rd edition by making dex the "king skill" so it affected your chance to hit and to avoid beign hit, but honestly 2nd edition was better overall

Null Null

Arbiter
Ok one more question (for now). My dwarf has STR 18/99 and a THAC0 of 17. He has a two-handed sword. He gets +2 to hit because of his STR, but where's the extra +1 to hit coming from? Also he's not blessed.

OSRIC pg. 3 says (when describing dwarves):

+1 to hit against goblins, half-orcs, hobgoblins, and orcs

Do the GB games just give you this bonus all the time because programming is hard or what?

Edit: dammit my other fighter (STR 17) has THAC0 18 with and without the short bow +1 equipped. So foncusing.

I never said this was easy.

First of all, a fighter's THAC0 is 21 minus his level (minus any other additional bonuses, usually from strength or dexterity and magic stuff). So a 1st level fighter with an 18(99) strength and a nonmagic weapon should have a THAC0 of 18. You said you get +5 damage, so you probably don't have a magic sword or it would be +6. Is your fighter 2nd level?

Thus, the lowest possible THAC0 in Pool of Radiance is an 8th level fighter wielding a long sword +5 with 18(00) strength: 13-5-6=2.

As for your fighter with the THAC0 of 18 with and without the short bow +1--what's his dexterity and strength? If you have no weapon readied,it calculates your THAC0 and damage as if you were making a melee attack with your fist (1d2+ Strength bonuses). This can lead to confusing results when you unready your bow and switch from Dexterity to Strength bonuses.

There's something else. Elves get a +1 to hit with long or short sword or bow, so it could be from that.

As for the bonus to hit against goblins, etc., I don't believe it is reflected in the character display screen.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
I'm looking at the 1st Edition DM's Guide right now, and the THAC0 for a 1st level fighter is 20, not 21. It then drops by 2 every odd level (1-2: 20, 3-4: 18, 5-6: 16, etc). By 8th level, it is only 14.

Do the Gold-Box games not follow this convention?

Also, according to AD&D, the lowest possible THAC0 based on what you've suggested at 8th level should be:

14 (base) - 3 (Strength 18/00) - 5 (+5 Long Sword) = 6.

I think you are awarding a +6 to hit for 18/00, but in reality it's a +3 to hit with a +6 bonus to damage.

Null Null

Arbiter
I'm looking at the 1st Edition DM's Guide right now, and the THAC0 for a 1st level fighter is 20, not 21. It then drops by 2 every odd level (1-2: 20, 3-4: 18, 5-6: 16, etc). By 8th level, it is only 14.

Do the Gold-Box games not follow this convention?

Also, according to AD&D, the lowest possible THAC0 based on what you've suggested at 8th level should be:

14 (base) - 3 (Strength 18/00) - 5 (+5 Long Sword) = 6.

I think you are awarding a +6 to hit for 18/00, but in reality it's a +3 to hit with a +6 bonus to damage.

Rats. This is why I wish RPG Codex had an edit button. Thanks for catching that.

However, there was an optional rule that allowed a +1 to hit at even levels, which looks like it was implemented. I've just pulled up my end-of-game save, in which I have the fighter we've just described, and her THAC0 is in fact 5 when armed with a +5 Longsword.

Also note that there are Potions of Giant Strength you can drink, dropping your THAC0 to 4 if you are an 8th level fighter wielding a Longsword +5. (Frost Giant Strength: 21 STR, +4 to hit, +9 damage)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom