Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Star Ocean 5: Integrity and Faithlessness - Out Now for PS4

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'll buy the game eventually in a desperate bid to make use of my PS4, although by the time it drops to an acceptable price it will most likely be on Steam.

If Persona 5 is bad then that means AAA jRPGs are pretty much a loss for this generation.

Hyperion

Arcane
You've still got Valkyria Azure Revolution, and NiER:Automata to hope for at least.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
You've still got Valkyria Azure Revolution, and NiER:Automata to hope for at least.

:negative:

Sega watched Nintendo fail hard enough with Metroid, Star Fox, and other classic franchises enough to realize how risky it is to piss around with spin offs when series core gameplay is in heavy demand among fans, but apparently they didn't watch enough to cancel the production before it started.

They *are* putting in the effort to make the aRPG they are making a bit more tactical due to a fan backlash, but we'll see how much that is worth when it releases.

Last edited:

Hyperion

Arcane
I only played P4 of the Persona games because I read it was supposed to be the best by far. I grew tired of most facets of the story pretty quickly. Could have powered a wind turbine with how hard I rolled at my eyes as I was a high school student with demonic powers. Oh how unique. Atlus - and in a SMT game no less! The entire school portion of the game INFURIATED me. I couldn't give less of a fuck about my peers in high school IRL, I'm supposed to care about them in a game?

Also, fuck the tests. Gotta get quizzed in O Chem at college, come home and have my vidya game quiz me too. Fuck you, Atlus.

Don't think I've ever played a single JRPG with as slow start as this either. Felt like I was going for at least an hour or hour and a half before I saw any combat unfold. The cycle of exposition - school day - interrogation by Uncle Barney Fife at dinner - evil TV - actual gameplay - back to exposition felt extremely blatant, which is where the repetition and boredom kicked in no more than 10 - 15 hours in. I also believe for the 'true' ending, lots of exact choices, and time restriction comes into play?

Maybe when my time isn't limited and video game choices don't have to be extremely selective I'll give it and other ones another chance, but as of right now...nope. Still debating buying Monster Hunter Generations because I don't know if I can fit it in anytime soon. Just started playing Radiant Historia.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I only played P4 of the Persona games because I read it was supposed to be the best by far.
That's very debatable, especially considering some people (even on the Codex - was it you swinezig?) that argue it isn't even part of the SMT series. Either way, it isn't right to group every game in the series with the impression of just only 10-15 hours of a spinoff game. A lot of misplaced aggression for the Scooby-Doo sim too.

I also believe for the 'true' ending, lots of exact choices, and time restriction comes into play?
Like, 1 text box during the climax of the game. And not sucking. That's about it.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
That's very debatable, especially considering some people (even on the Codex - was it you swinezig?) that argue it isn't even part of the SMT series. Either way, it isn't right to group every game in the series with the impression of just only 10-15 hours of a spinoff game. A lot of misplaced aggression for the Scooby-Doo sim too.
SMT and Persona are completely different series, but both of them are part of MegaTen.
Persona 3 is utter shit, and from what I remember, Persona 4 is even worse. Hyperion needs to cleanse his soul from the faggot virus by beating the original PSX Persona in Japanese. :smug:

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
There you go. I hated 3, but I liked 4 for what it was.
:M

Still can't help but go off topic. Sorry.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I like Persona 3 and 4. But I don't really consider them to be part of SMT the same way the mainline and even some of the spinoffs (like DDS, Strange Journey, DeSu) are. What I mean is that you can't claim to know MegaTen if all you played was Persona.

Hyperion

Arcane
Played Nocturne, Devil Summoner (Soulless Army, I think?), and SMTIV. I have Devil Survivor Overclocked sitting somewhere, but haven't played it yet.

Hyperion

Arcane
Fan? When did this happen? My whole point here is I'm NOT a fan of them. I understand why people like them, I just think they have too much grinding because of Demon Fusions and the battle system, while good, doesn't lend itself well to potentially long hours of grinding.

(in b4 "kek saying you're not a fan of megaten without playing the original, earlygames")

Last edited:

Malpercio

Arcane
Star Ocean is a shit series. This thread now belong to Megaten fans.

Anyway, I can see people considering P3-4 repetitive. The dungeon design is bland and the "One More" system makes most battles a joke. Not too much depth as far strategy against bosses go since you can't change your party member Persona.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom