Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars: The Old Republic will kill WoW - outsourced to Broadsword

John_Blazze

Augur
http://www.siliconera.com/2014/03/14/dragon-quest-x-impressive-300000-daily-active-players-japan/

An MMO that only launched in one country and actively blacks IPs outside of that country has more active players than ToRtanic does.

Oh god, this looks like it got the same treatment as ESO.

Instead using the series setting and building a good game ( as far as MMOs go ), they are cramming in the mechanics from single player games that dont work in MMO space, just to appeal in some weird way to the series fans.

Shannow

Waster of Time
I guess instances have a lot to do with it. Instances save devemlopment time and money and save on server costs -- but they bring a lot of negatives to the table, such as making the world less "real". With instances, players can play a game like WoW totally devoid from human contact.
Yes, yes. But I thought you wanted to mention negative aspects...?

Ninjerk

Arcane
They won't have LFG tools for the foreseeable future because they haven't figured out how to make that system.
dark-volleyball.svg

kris

Arcane
Since I am an old-time Star wars fag but have not touched this.

Do it have a lot of grinding?

Is it worth playing through the story?
And is there two stories (good+evil) or more?

anus_pounder

Arcane
Since I am an old-time Star wars fag but have not touched this.

Do it have a lot of grinding?

Is it worth playing through the story?
And is there two stories (good+evil) or more?

Not really. Just playing every quest available everywhere should give you enough xp to get to level 50 and see you through the class storyline. Of course aside from the actual class story missions you repeat the same side-quests with every class so I'm almost certain you'll be bored of the game after one light side and one dark side playthrough. Assuming you can even stand the game that much.

Ehhh...I've heard good things about the Imperial Agent storyline but everything else seems to be typical bioderp (The Jedis especially) or just plain bland (Bounty Hunter, Sith Warrior and Smuggler come to mind).

8 Classes - 4 for each side (I've heard the light side/dark side classes are basically carbon copies of each other, so it might be more accurate to say 4 classes but with 8 different storylines) and each get their own class storyline.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
It is not worth playing unless you're a fan of mediocre Bioware writing (and I mean mediocre by their standards) or are just really fucking bored.

when i tried swtor i was bored to tears and was desperately looking for a sci-fi mmorpg. desperately.
after playing swtor i wished i had just sat here picking my ass.

set

Cipher
I played it from 1-15 as a Sith something or other out of morbid curiosity.

It's absolutely a snooze fest, just as you expect. It's also basically a ghost town MMO, even in the starting areas as a f2p it's dead as shit.

If you're really into boring mediocre mmos and carrot-sticking gameplay you can give it a shot for free though, there's not really any risk to trying it.

Exar Kun

Scholar
SWTOR appeals to a VERY specific niche of old republic game and comic book autists. I still log in to do the new content they put out because i'm invested in the story, as I've been reading all the comics, played the games, and read the novels leading up to all of this. Now obviously I would have given a testicle for Obsidian to develop KOTOR 3 with their vision of the story (fighting against the true sith from the tales comics). I would drop down to my knees and suck Avellones tiny cock for that. Although Biowares take is subpar at least they used the general story Obsidian had planned. Bioware seems to be trying their best and seem to care at least, they didnt have to implement actual space combat or now player housing, the game just runs and feels like shit on the ground because for some reason they fucked the engine.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
SWTOR appeals to a VERY specific niche of old republic game and comic book autists. I still log in to do the new content they put out because i'm invested in the story, as I've been reading all the comics, played the games, and read the novels leading up to all of this. Now obviously I would have given a testicle for Obsidian to develop KOTOR 3 with their vision of the story (fighting against the true sith from the tales comics). I would drop down to my knees and suck Avellones tiny cock for that. Although Biowares take is subpar at least they used the general story Obsidian had planned. Bioware seems to be trying their best and seem to care at least, they didnt have to implement actual space combat or now player housing, the game just runs and feels like shit on the ground because for some reason they fucked the engine.

Which is funny considering they ditched class stories, main selling point of the game, after realizing VA actually costs money and they didn't have millions of subscribers. Story department has actually received pitifully miniscule amount of content since launch, I think that expansion was the only major addition and it wasn't on class-by-class basis but faction-wide, while they give more and more content to PvP players of all people. Because I can totally imagine someone playing TOR for its awkward PvP and, of course, Huttball.

set

Cipher
The problem with the game is it's hardly an MMO. Even in the busiest parts of the gameworld you're bound to meet a maximum of ten or twelve people. There is literally no reason to play a game where you don't even run into that many other players while you're questing. It defeats the whole purpose of playing an MMO. When I played in the newbie areas, there were maybe 2-3 other pople I could see on the screen -- at most -- it was far more common to see zero people while going about my business making combat numbers float on screen.

There are three critical flaws with SWTOR:

1. Engine: The engine was designed by retards. There are critical flaws in the way textures are streamed, input is processed, etc. The engine sucks so much is the reason why there's hardly ever anymore than ten people on screen at once, because the game was probably designed around its limitations and heavily instances areas of the game so you seldom interact with others.
2. Budgeting: They wasted way too much money on voice acting. Voice acting is like icing on a cake. If you made a shit cake, it doesn't make a shit cake taste any better, it just tastes like sugary shit. Case in point, VTMB would be a less memorable game w/o its voice acting. The problem with SWTOR is they paid for so much stupid vapid dialogue when that money could have been better spent on the engine or the gameplay or the art or hell providing more than black/white choices to every quest.
3. Gameplay: It's WoW. Now, that's maybe not much of an argument these days, but even among themepark MMOs, there are various ways you can present the game world and available options to the player. In this case, the game is WoW, and even someone like me who doesn't want to play WoW, the mechanics here inevitably draw comparison. WoW is much more polished and pleasant than SWTOR. It's this direct comparison you're making subconsciously in the back of your mind that hurts it - the gameworld feels more plastic, the character progression feels more stitled, and you rapidly begin to doubt your purpose playing the game, unlike you might've nearly a decade ago in WoW.

SWTOR is bad, but it's not as bad as your average korean MMO, but then again, your average korean mmo at least has a gimmicky mechanic or something to pull your interest along. Here, all there is as the hook is VO, which you'll get sick of very quickly.

Last edited:

Shannow

Waster of Time
In b4 TOR makes a miraculous comeback and kills WoW!

Only to then reveal that it was WoW's tranny clone all along. Bioware FTW!

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
The problem with the game is it's hardly an MMO. Even in the busiest parts of the gameworld you're bound to meet a maximum of ten or twelve people. There is literally no reason to play a game where you don't even run into that many other players while you're questing. It defeats the whole purpose of playing an MMO. When I played in the newbie areas, there were maybe 2-3 other pople I could see on the screen -- at most -- it was far more common to see zero people while going about my business making combat numbers float on screen.

There are three critical flaws with SWTOR:

1. Engine: The engine was designed by retards. There are critical flaws in the way textures are streamed, input is processed, etc. The engine sucks so much is the reason why there's hardly ever anymore than ten people on screen at once, because the game was probably designed around its limitations and heavily instances areas of the game so you seldom interact with others.
2. Budgeting: They wasted way too much money on voice acting. Voice acting is like icing on a cake. If you made a shit cake, it doesn't make a shit cake taste any better, it just tastes like sugary shit. Case in point, VTMB would be a less memorable game w/o its voice acting. The problem with SWTOR is they paid for so much stupid vapid dialogue when that money could have been better spent on the engine or the gameplay or the art or hell providing more than black/white choices to every quest.
3. Gameplay: It's WoW. Now, that's maybe not much of an argument these days, but even among themepark MMOs, there are various ways you can present the game world and available options to the player. In this case, the game is WoW, and even someone like me who doesn't want to play WoW, the mechanics here inevitably draw comparison. WoW is much more polished and pleasant than SWTOR. It's this direct comparison you're making subconsciously in the back of your mind that hurts it - the gameworld feels more plastic, the character progression feels more stitled, and you rapidly begin to doubt your purpose playing the game, unlike you might've nearly a decade ago in WoW.

SWTOR is bad, but it's not as bad as your average korean MMO, but then again, your average korean mmo at least has a gimmicky mechanic or something to pull your interest along. Here, all there is as the hook is VO, which you'll get sick of very quickly.

The engine in TORtanic is hilariously bad, it's cumbersome as hell and very poorly optimized. That isn't surprising as they bought the engine when it was in basically alpha :D.

5nurud.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom