Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars: The Old Republic will kill WoW - outsourced to Broadsword

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
But jesus what the fuck is this new shit? Dragon Ball Z?

Well judging by some comics I read back in the day and some random books here and there it's close enough actually. Always a new villain, always with random powers/abilities/army no one has ever seen before, always moAR powerful than the last threat etc. Even in the arcs that take place in the past/future whatever, this seems to hold true. For the most part SW is a western shonen, granted there are outliers that have some depth beyond "big bad new threat" and a few books that actually put characters through arcs but that's not really the average from my experience. Splitting souls doesn't seem like such a stretch within the universe, I mean there is already millennia old ghosts possessing people etc, so mainly just depends on what parts of SW you consider cannon.

Then again SW is such a massive beast that I haven't really checked even 50% of all the stuff out there so maybe I've missed out?

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity

Well judging by some comics I read back in the day and some random books here and there it's close enough actually. Always a new villain, always with random powers/abilities/army no one has ever seen before, always moAR powerful than the last threat etc. Even in the arcs that take place in the past/future whatever, this seems to hold true. For the most part SW is a western shonen, granted there are outliers that have some depth beyond "big bad new threat" and a few books that actually put characters through arcs but that's not really the average from my experience. Splitting souls doesn't seem like such a stretch within the universe, I mean there is already millennia old ghosts possessing people etc, so mainly just depends on what parts of SW you consider cannon.

Then again SW is such a massive beast that I haven't really checked even 50% of all the stuff out there so maybe I've missed out?
What happened with Revan pre-SWTOR was okay.
He goes to find the "true Sith" as said at the end of KOTOR2. He gets fucked up by some Sith Lords, and they keep him prisoner. One of them (Darth Scourge) eventually gets convinced to Revan's philosophy or whatever and decides to free him and help him kill the Emperor.

Then the stupid part was when they were just about to kill the Emperor, Scourge gets a premonition that a future Jedi (aka the Jedi Knight storyline in SWTOR lol) manages to kill the Emperor. So he stabs Revan in the back.

Though I guess you can somewhat rationalize it, if Scourge thought the prediction meant Revan was gonna fail no matter what, so Scourge wanted to save his own ass.

Anyways, the Emperor decides to keep Revan alive and torture to get info on the Republic.

The end.

Edit: Oh nvm. I didn't mention that the protag of Kotor2 was with Revan and Scourge at the end (didn't think she did anything). But actually what happened was that the Emperor force-grabbed Revan's lightsaber and the K2 protag threw her lightsaber to block the Emperor's strike instead of throwing it at the Emperor and (presumably) killing the Emperor at the cost of Revan's life. And then Scourge had his vision and stabbed K2 protag in the back. Makes a slight bit more sense.

Also laffed bc I just read the wiki entry for Kotor2 and found this:

MCA said:
The first story draft was pretty terrible, mostly because we weren't allowed to play K1 before drafting it, so we really knew nothing about the first game and were writing in the dark (Revan who?).

:negative:

Edit: Edited the spoiler bc I forgot something that actually made the ending make a bit more sense.

Last edited:

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Have the new movies increased interest in the MMO? And how long does EA have the MMO license anyway?
It's in disputed grounds. EA / Bioware has bought and paid for the licence, so it's unlikely that Disney will yank it any time soon. Disney hasn't judged it to be non-canon either, so that's a plus for them. No matter how crap TOR is/becomes, I don't see Disney shutting it down unless they want to do something in that time span.

But the whole thing is fucking stupid in the first place - it's 1,000 years before the movies, yet everything is exactly the same. Talk about medieval stasis.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Have the new movies increased interest in the MMO? And how long does EA have the MMO license anyway?
It's in disputed grounds. EA / Bioware has bought and paid for the licence, so it's unlikely that Disney will yank it any time soon. Disney hasn't judged it to be non-canon either, so that's a plus for them. No matter how crap TOR is/becomes, I don't see Disney shutting it down unless they want to do something in that time span.

But the whole thing is fucking stupid in the first place - it's 1,000 years before the movies, yet everything is exactly the same. Talk about medieval stasis.

A galaxy with only one type of climate per planet (including city climate) and that is what got you?

Ninjerk

Arcane

He goes to find the "true Sith" as said at the end of KOTOR2. He gets fucked up by some Sith Lords, and they keep him prisoner. One of them (Darth Scourge) eventually gets convinced to Revan's philosophy or whatever and decides to free him and help him kill the Emperor.

Then the stupid part was when they were just about to kill the Emperor, Scourge gets a premonition that a future Jedi (aka the Jedi Knight storyline in SWTOR lol) manages to kill the Emperor. So he stabs Revan in the back.

Though I guess you can somewhat rationalize it, if Scourge thought the prediction meant Revan was gonna fail no matter what, so Scourge wanted to save his own ass.

Anyways, the Emperor decides to keep Revan alive and torture to get info on the Republic.

The end.

Edit: Oh nvm. I didn't mention that the protag of Kotor2 was with Revan and Scourge at the end (didn't think she did anything). But actually what happened was that the Emperor force-grabbed Revan's lightsaber and the K2 protag threw her lightsaber to block the Emperor's strike instead of throwing it at the Emperor and (presumably) killing the Emperor at the cost of Revan's life. And then Scourge had his vision and stabbed K2 protag in the back. Makes a slight bit more sense.

MCA said:
The first story draft was pretty terrible, mostly because we weren't allowed to play K1 before drafting it, so we really knew nothing about the first game and were writing in the dark (Revan who?).

Edit: Edited the spoiler bc I forgot something that actually made the ending make a bit more sense.
The most retarded thing about it is that apparently Drew Karpyshyn (the guy that wrote K1?) wrote a novel with the Exile in it (K2 protag) and made her into a Revan fangirl who sacrifices herself to save Revan because he's so AWSHUM!!!:`1 (To the point that he as a writer appeared legitimately jealous of the character Obsidian had written).

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron

The end.

MCA said:

The most retarded thing about it is that apparently Drew Karpyshyn (the guy that wrote K1?) wrote a novel with the Exile in it (K2 protag) and made her into a Revan fangirl who sacrifices herself to save Revan because he's so AWSHUM!!!:`1 (To the point that he as a writer appeared legitimately jealous of the character Obsidian had written).
? What I wrote was what Karpyshyn wrote. Scourge backstabs the Exile.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
The Exile is completely generic. Don't lie.

Complete bollocks. The Exile is only generic in the 'Revan' novel and how she is written in TOR.
I think the only non-generic protagonist is TNO, in the type of game where you get to choose dialogue and shit. And, no, I don't even want to think about Mass Effect, I'm getting a headache just from the mere inkling of a thought.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert

A galaxy with only one type of climate per planet (including city climate) and that is what got you?
Hey, don't get me started!

No, what I mean is the stupid idea to go back in time as much as 1,000 years - but of course you need to have all the stereotypical hallmarks of the SW universe, so it's literally exactly same. Bethesda is guilty of the same with their ludicrous time jumps of centuries between games. There has never been a good reason, either. Just "sounds cool".

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Complete bollocks. The Exile is only generic in the 'Revan' novel and how she is written in TOR."

Exile was generic in KOTOR2. Geralt is even worse.

Norfleet

No, what I mean is the stupid idea to go back in time as much as 1,000 years - but of course you need to have all the stereotypical hallmarks of the SW universe, so it's literally exactly same. Bethesda is guilty of the same with their ludicrous time jumps of centuries between games. There has never been a good reason, either. Just "sounds cool".
Well, that's SW Lore: There's apparently not a lot of technological change going on, and that things really have existed in stasis for that long. On a galactic scale, a thousand years isn't a very long time at all, especially when you have beings that live for 900 years. For someone like that, this is the equivalent of about 90 years ago. If they DIDN'T go back a thousand years, you'd be asking Yoda what happened because he was there.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Well, that's SW Lore: There's apparently not a lot of technological change going on, and that things really have existed in stasis for that long. On a galactic scale, a thousand years isn't a very long time at all, especially when you have beings that live for 900 years. For someone like that, this is the equivalent of about 90 years ago. If they DIDN'T go back a thousand years, you'd be asking Yoda what happened because he was there.
True. We must be thankful that some things actually did change:

index.php

Deleted member 7219

Technological plateau. It isn't new - Star Wars was hardly the first science fiction or fantasy universe to do it. Tolkien (although Middle-Earth is meant to turn into Earth at some point - Tolkien only hinted at it in letters and such), D&D, Warcraft, Warhammer 40K...

Slow James

Savant
I mean like real choices.

What would you consider a real choice? I mean, I get that TW2's big Second Act choice was really just a huge fork in be road that came back together mostly the same, but it blows away most other RPGs in terms of divergence except for an elite handful.

Not my cup of tea as far as a series goes, but Geralt is pretty damn set as a character and still has plenty of dialogue choices.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron

What would you consider a real choice? I mean, I get that TW2's big Second Act choice was really just a huge fork in be road that came back together mostly the same, but it blows away most other RPGs in terms of divergence except for an elite handful.

Not my cup of tea as far as a series goes, but Geralt is pretty damn set as a character and still has plenty of dialogue choices.
Blowing away most other RPGs is not really a compliment.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin

I felt more invested in TOR story than I did with DAI.
True story.

Slow James

Savant

Which is why I asked what you consider a real choice. Do you have a set of games you'd hold as the standard? Or is everything shit, in true Codex fashion?

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron

Which is why I asked what you consider a real choice. Do you have a set of games you'd hold as the standard? Or is everything shit, in true Codex fashion?
A real choice has consequences.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Mass Effect 1 had C&C that carried over to Mass Effect 3.
True story.

Slow James

Savant

Do you have an example real game that has offered you a real choice?

I'm far from arguing they don't exist, I'm just curious what your response is going to be.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron

Do you have an example real game that has offered you a real choice?

I'm far from arguing they don't exist, I'm just curious what your response is going to be.
Curiosity killed the cat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom