Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Starcraft II: Heart of the Swarm shows exactly where all that WoW money went into

EruDaan

Arcane
I always wondered why they always show such excessive use of CGI movies as trailiers... which do not have anything to do with actual gameplay and whatever. It's only about awesome and explosions. Oh and look, the sexy zergefied babe everyone is drooling about isn't a tyranid... er, sorry ZERG abomination anymore but a even hotter sexier chick. Wow, game must be gud! :? BRB gotta pre-order it...

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Cool trailer, Blizzard really should hire these people to make a full fledged SC2/Diablo movie (which would be probably better than the games, since only the stories would remain dumb).

I hate the alien chick though, she should die terribly, but the Blizzard's writers seem to hold on to her for unknown reasons.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
meh. While these cutscenes are technically brilliant no doubt, they lack style and atmosphere. Looks like a Transformers movie.
In contrast, this eerie cutscene from the original Starcraft is much simpler but so much better at giving you a feel for the horrors of a Zerg invasion:

Zeriel

Arcane
Original SC had much more of a 90's Aliens feel. New SC feels like a grimdark Warhammer comic.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The new Blizzard tries to be serious and mature and thinks that technical proficiency can hide shortcomings in the script department. There are no memorable lines or scenes anywhere in SC2 on the same level as "Take us into orbit, Mr. Malmsteenl" or "KILL IT!" Just sterile technical perfection without any worthwhile ideas.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
The new Blizzard tries to be serious and mature and thinks that technical proficiency can hide shortcomings in the script department. There are no memorable lines or scenes anywhere in SC2 on the same level as "Take us into orbit, Mr. Malmsteenl" or "KILL IT!" Just sterile technical perfection without any worthwhile ideas.

Actually they could do with less one-liners. The problem they are having is that they try to sound all mature and grimdark while being incredibly juvenile.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
I'm going to judge the trailer as just a cool CGI thingy with classic SC units in it, and say it was FUCKING AWESOME!

Angthoron

Arcane
A pretty trailer that's about nothing. Suppose that it works on some level seeing that it's her dream and it's more about zerg dominance than humans' terror, but since we don't initially know it's a dream, the action sequence falls flat.

evdk

Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Actually they could do with less one-liners. The problem they are having is that they try to sound all mature and grimdark while being incredibly juvenile.
I was just using the quotes to point out that the original had memorable cinematics - you knew immediately which ones I meant with those quotes, right? And of course being juvenile would not be a problem (SC1 was terribly juvenile) if they just admitted it to themselves instead of trying to hide behind the hard core grimdarkness.

Zeriel

Arcane
Original SC had much more of a 90's Aliens feel. New SC feels like a grimdark Warhammer comic.

Original SC was based on Warhammer as well, now it is of course Mat Warpd spawned Warhammer:

Still 10 ten times better than Zergs.

#1 seemed to have much more of a horror element to it (the hill-billies getting stalked by a hydralisk, etc), while #2 seems more about WH40K imperial battle-bros setpiece warzones. Only speaking of the cinematics.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yeah but the reason Warhammer 40K works is because it has this dystopian, nightmarish, incredibly over the top theme going on. Hellish cathedral-like architecture, floating skulls with visor lenses, disfigured cyborg servants with no will of their own, filth, lunatics, deamons everywhere... the whole world is basicly one big nightmare.

As I said, Starcraft 2's cutscene aesthetics remind me more of Transformers than anything else.

Zeriel

Arcane
Yeah but the reason Warhammer 40K works is because it has this dystopian, nightmarish, incredibly over the top theme going on. Hellish catherdral-like architecture, floating skulls with visor lenses, disfigured cyborg servants with no will of their own, filth, lunatics, deamons everywhere... the whole world is basicly one big nightmare.

As I said, Starcraft 2's cutscene aesthetics remind me more of Transformers than anything else.

I feel like WH40K only works when shit stays horrible. When it's battle-bro's always winning, it quickly descends into inanity.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Some of the old ones really pass that Alien vibe perfectly:

One could say that Blizzard's focus on "heroes" let to this, apparently you can't make a expensive cinemmatic if it isn't about one of your so imprtant story heroes; no one cares anymore what the troops and the habitants of the universe do. It's like if Wh40K only spoke of the Patriarchs and the God-Emperor. May sound cool, but would devolve into banal shit boring power escalades and anime-like derpness quite quickly.

evdk

Patron
Some of the old ones really pass that Alien vibe perfectly:
That's because it's lifted from the Aliens nest scene almost verbatim. The only thing it's missing is someone yelling "Wierzbowski!"

It's like if Wh40K only spoke of the Patriarchs and the God-Emperor. May sound cool, but would devolve into banal shit boring power escalades and anime-like derpness quite quickly.
As Matt Ward handily proves.

aris

Arcane
And guise, this is the opening cinematics, not a trailer.

And that makes it better how? As LS wrote, compare this to BW's intro.
It doesn't. It's pretty for the eyes, but nothing that really caught me, just as for you guys. It's pretty generic stuff. Then again, I always thought that blizzard cinematics were mostly just eye candy (except for some cinematics from sc and diablo 2), and it's not as special anymore as there are many companies that can do what blizzard does today; earlier they were kings of game cinematics. I did feel like pointing that out though, just because calling it a trailer is technically incorrect. It's pretty similar in style to the intro of WC3.

Black

Arcane
At least it shows the current balance of sc2. Zerg op, viking suck shit in both air and on ground, tank damage is laughable and zerg can just a-move through sieged terran position.
And of course the human master-race gets the least new toys to play with.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom