Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield - Epic Shit Takes from Bethestards

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
N5l7kwH.png

you people will say "LOOK TODD IS WOKE TODD IS WOKE" while France is burning.

HE'S. TRYING. TO. WARN. YOU.

France has a long history of african citizens, being one of the former colonial powerhouses.
That's bullcrap, even the historical colonies residents never went much to the mainland before mid-20th century. The first massive influx of decolonization refugees was after the Algerian war in the 60s and it brought massive unrest and ethnic tensions, even tho it was a mostly white conservative mediterranean population.
Didn't France occupy the Rhineland with so many negro soldiers after WW1 it created an entire generation of German mulattos?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhineland_Bastard
Es ist der Jude der den Neger an den Rhein bringt

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
Someone in the other thread was decrying the game for apparently lacking location damage...

Would our prestigious RPG connoisseurs of refined taste and superior knowledge spread fake news? Surely not.

It does have locational damage tho? Headshots deal more damage or am I imagining this.

And on multiple occasions I seem to remember having crippled some of the faster alien's legs, but don't quote me on that.

sebas

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
2000: Deus Ex, Arcanum and BG2
2001: Wizardry 8
2002: Gothic 2 and Morrowind
2004: Bloodlines
2009: Dragon Age Origins

I'm all for cult classics but nobody had fun with Arcanum or Bloodlines in 2000 and 2004. It took a long ass time for the community to barely, just barely fix them. We did have Witcher in 2007 though. Anyway, basically between Gothic 2 and DAO we only had Bethesda RPGs to play with for the better part of a decade. And play them we did, hence why everybody is so divisive about them and why to this day nobody forgot about money hungry fucking horse armor Bethesda. Or lazy copy+paste dungeons Bethesda.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It does have locational damage tho? Headshots deal more damage or am I imagining this.

And on multiple occasions I seem to remember having crippled some of the faster alien's legs, but don't quote me on that.
The crippling modifier on the pistol has to take into account location damage in order to work. Though it's Bethesda, so I guess that's not final :lol:

skaraher

Cipher
One famous author with afrocaribean ancestry don't make "a long history of african citizens"
It's actually quite amusing how offensive it is to French people to see their history conveyed through a black woman. Please do The Netherlands with a Moroccan next. :lol:

But Americans likely don't properly understand just how racist all of Europe is. Sure, the politics have evolved enough to protect the immigrants but no black or arab minority has had a MartinJr. movement of their own, they are not integrated in any way into the historicaly whiter-than-white society. I guess the brits might be more inclooosive but then again, something-something-brexit.

Europeans are so racist that they aren't even done with the white-on-white hate amongst themselves, let alone start with blacks and arabs. :lol:
Nah modern West Yuropeans are full blown antiracists in majority and in France most of the right regularly drink the "One Empire Three Colours" koolaid about assimilation and africans. But it is a very recent phenomenon in our history.

Actually it is quite common to explain that real racism come from Kwanzania which somehow invented race division between black and white and is agressively promoting this social model everywhere. It's retarded and doesnt hold up to historical scrutiny but well, it's the Zeitgeist I guess.

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
So basically every system I get to has a DRAGON SHOUT Totally Original Alien Power now, I'm still waiting for that ERMAGERD THE GAME IS AWESUM moment that Vic keeps shilling about. Nothing has changed my opinion on this game whatsoever.

By the way, anyone bitching about BG3's 6 year development cycle can eat a bucket of donkey dicks. THIS is what one of the biggest studios in the world came up with in 8 :lol:

B ... but the last act has bugs!

Anyway, no interest in BG3 vs Starfield drama, stuff like this is always for the plebs. There is a place for two vastly different and above average CRPGs in 2023.
I'll probably give Starfield a shot once it's patched up a bit in terms of optimization and maybe on sale. If it's better than the Cyberpunk debacle it's worth a peak.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected
So basically every system I get to has a DRAGON SHOUT Totally Original Alien Power now, I'm still waiting for that ERMAGERD THE GAME IS AWESUM moment that Vic keeps shilling about. Nothing has changed my opinion on this game whatsoever.

By the way, anyone bitching about BG3's 6 year development cycle can eat a bucket of donkey dicks. THIS is what one of the biggest studios in the world came up with in 8 :lol:

Anyway, no interest in BG3 vs Starfield drama, stuff like this is always for the plebs. There is a place for two vastly different CRPGs in 2023.
I'll probably give Starfield a shot once it's patched up a bit in terms of optimization and maybe on sale. If it's better than the Cyberpunk debacle it's worth a peak.
Why people compare the games anyways? They are two different games.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
True story: I was playing Starfield and during a very good sequence I asked myself, "What's that feeling, why is this so good?" and realized the game was channeling VTM: Bloodlines. Y'all can scoff and call it AAA trash but some of the content here is really solid.

Eisenheinrich

Scholar

Anyway, no interest in BG3 vs Starfield drama, stuff like this is always for the plebs. There is a place for two vastly different CRPGs in 2023.

Because people on the internet are weird and especially around here it's about some retarded meta competition like "my favorite entertainment product has a bigger dick than your favorite entertainment product".

Heck, big CRPGs are rare enough and if 2023 delivers to solid contenders that's a W for me. Memes are funny and shit but quickly bury any real discussion when every talking point turns into a meme.

Self-Ejected
In my e

Because people on the internet are weird and especially around here it's about some retarded meta competition like "my favorite entertainment product has a bigger dick than your favorite entertainment product".

Heck, big CRPGs are rare enough and if 2023 delivers to solid contenders that's a W for me. Memes are funny and shit but quickly bury any real discussion when every talking point turns into a meme.
Well i am enjoying starfield has clearly some problems but if we compare the quests overall with skyrim there is more variations rather than generic fetchquests. Heck people brough out cybeprunk as a better game despite Cyberpunk not having half as the roleplay elements than starfield.
Starfield is a good game like i said before the mistake beth did in my opinion is marketing the game to the masses when in reality is a niche title for sci fi lovers.

Lemming42

Arcane
It makes sense that BG3 and Starfield would get comparisons, despite being wildly different games - two major triple-A RPG releases in a roughly one-month period, that's not common nowadays.

It's a shame that the attitude of so many people nowadays is "let's piss and moan about everything and decide to hate shit before we've even played it", because what we've got here is:

BG3, a turn-based cRPG with stellar world design (at least in the first act), great environmental interactivity, and enjoyable combat
Starfield, a Bethesda game that offers the type of freedom and mechanical variety and depth that Bethesda games have been lacking for years, has what appears to be genuine C&C, and allows for distinct character builds with strengths and weaknesses

And they're both critically and commercially successful with the mainstream, which bodes enormously well for the future of the genre. Neither game is perfect, especially Starfield's first few hours and BG3's final few hours, both could be improved in obvious ways, but both are good games that, hopefully, will have a positive effect going forward if developers take the right lessons from them.

True story: I was playing Starfield and during a very good sequence I asked myself, "What's that feeling, why is this so good?" and realized the game was channeling VTM: Bloodlines. Y'all can scoff and call it AAA trash but some of the content here is really solid.
I just did a quest that asked me to sneak into a corporate building and steal something. I’m a gangster and brute so fuck that stealth stuff. I went through the entire building shotgunning civilians and security. When I reached the boss’s office he already had his hands up and begged me to stop shooting everyone. Gave me what I came for. ‘Twas hilarious.

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
Well i am enjoying starfield has clearly some problems but if we compare the quests overall with skyrim there is more variations rather than generic fetchquests. Heck people brough out cybeprunk as a better game despite Cyberpunk not having half as the roleplay elements than starfield.
Starfield is a good game like i said before the mistake beth did in my opinion is marketing the game to the masses when in reality is a niche title for sci fi lovers.

That's my impression from the gameplay I saw (minus the bug memes, they're hilarious but come on, that's Bethesda charme). SciFi has for a long time now been more niche than Fantasy. And I don't consider Star Wars SciFi.
That's fucking High Fantasy in space to be honest. Doesn't count. Starfield is clearly aiming for the sleek SciFi look for the most part.

Lemming42

Arcane
I just did a quest that asked me to sneak into a corporate building and steal something. I’m a gangster and brute so fuck that stealth stuff. I went through the entire building shotgunning civilians and security. When I reached the bosses office he already had his hands up and begged me to stop shooting everyone. Gave me what I came for. ‘Twas hilarious.
Genodyne, right? I just did that myself, going full stealth. Turned into absolute farce because a guard was leaning against an air vent cover with me trapped behind her and I couldn't do shit until she left.

The whole questline has been pretty impressive so far, UNATCO-style shit where your handler gets mad at you/praises you based on how much you relied on stealth vs force.

I just did a quest that asked me to sneak into a corporate building and steal something. I’m a gangster and brute so fuck that stealth stuff. I went through the entire building shotgunning civilians and security. When I reached the bosses office he already had his hands up and begged me to stop shooting everyone. Gave me what I came for. ‘Twas hilarious.
Genodyne, right? I just did that myself, going full stealth. Turned into absolute farce because a guard was leaning against an air vent cover with me trapped behind her and I couldn't do shit until she left.

The whole questline has been pretty impressive so far, UNATCO-style shit where your handler gets mad at you/praises you based on how much you relied on stealth vs force.
Yes, that’s the one. I have no skills in stealth so I went full commando lol.

AlwaysBrotoMen

Educated
It makes sense that BG3 and Starfield would get comparisons, despite being wildly different games - two major triple-A RPG releases in a roughly one-month period, that's not common nowadays.

It's a shame that the attitude of so many people nowadays is "let's piss and moan about everything and decide to hate shit before we've even played it", because what we've got here is:

BG3, a turn-based cRPG with stellar world design (at least in the first act), great environmental interactivity, and enjoyable combat
Starfield, a Bethesda game that offers the type of freedom and mechanical variety and depth that Bethesda games have been lacking for years, has what appears to be genuine C&C, and allows for distinct character builds with strengths and weaknesses

And they're both critically and commercially successful with the mainstream, which bodes enormously well for the future of the genre. Neither game is perfect, especially Starfield's first few hours and BG3's final few hours, both could be improved in obvious ways, but both are good games that, hopefully, will have a positive effect going forward if developers take the right lessons from them.
So if we combine the first half of BG3 and last half of Starfield we get a perfect RPG isnt it?

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck

So you run around nekkid huh?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
But we are going to see a lot of this in the thread. People who played 20 hours, 30 hours, 50 hours, 100 hours, of Starfield and then come to the thread to complain about how much they hate it and how bad it is. Largely because Bethesda is supposed to be one of the game developers who are designated "Bad Developers" who make "Bad Games" on the codex and how much of the codex is geared towards criticizing things.

I find it a bit silly, but it is how the codex is, I guess. Again, it doesn't mean your criticisms aren't valid (there is plenty to criticize in this game), but it does mean you aren't being that open and honest about the things you enjoyed in the game that kept you playing for 29 hours.
"I played the game for 300 hours, and it's terrible!" is the classic Codexian sentiment.

otterwatermelonjiivg.png

commando-arnold.gif

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck

commando-arnold.gif

Going commando means to go without underwear. I took it the full nudist route. :lol:

SymbolicFrank

Magister
Ok, I watched some videos and the ship designer looked like fun. But you have to play a few hours and use some console commands to be able to use it, because I wasn't planning to spend a hundred hours on it.

The ship designer is ok, but not great. Too many gotchas and skill requirements.

But playing the game is very unfun. I loved Morrowind and can enjoy a seriously modded Skyrim. And while the looter-shooter part seems ok at the start, that won't last for more than an hour. Simply because it is too hard to find loot and a harder difficulty just turns the enemies into bullet sponges. A headshot with a powerful gun on normal difficulty is very rarely lethal.

Like, I selected "Give me Deus Ex" difficulty in Deus Ex: Human Revolution, expecting it to behave the same as in DX1. Instead, it turned your starting assault gun into a pea-shooter, that required two magazines of headshots to down a single enemy.

Ok, it's not that bad in Starfield, but close. And navigating around is really bad. Mostly because the user-interface is really atrocious. It's not there to help you in any way or form.

So, I'm hard pressed to find a reason to continue. And while mods might fix it: oh, boy, do they have their work cut out for them this time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom