Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield - Epic Shit Takes from Bethestards

darkpatriot

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
So as far as I'm understanding it, there are two ways to find things to do in unexplored space.
rp47ve5.png

One is to look for these white diamonds, which are some kind of event going on in orbit of the planet.

FHI0ftd.png

The other is to look for this symbol, which represents the presence of a settlement.

Is that it? I'm seeing the "..." marks on some planets, but the content there seems to be near-universally pretty bad - usually just some pirate outpost or warehouse with no real story or quest or dialogue, just a trash mob of enemies and some crap loot. I've also tried landing on procgen planets and exploring their caves and such, but again the content is simply not worth bothering with for someone who isn't interested in the resource gathering and outpost building aspects.

The three dots mean there is some kind of building there (that I assume is not proc gen). But unless they are tied to a quest (in which case you can also find them via following the quest), they usually don't have much story or anything interesting going on.

A few are occaisionally a bit interesting though. One I rememberr was a research farm that had been overrun by the local dinosaurs. There wasn't any real story there, but it was more interesting than the normal outpost full of spacers.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Mini spoiler review from me. 7.5/10.
How is the level and quest design? Closer to Fallout 3 or Fallout 4? On Fallout 3, you at least did some non linear quests on some sprawling locations, the writing was never anything good but at least there was a few interesting locations, I feel level and quest design got a big downgrade on Fallout 4.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
I think the setting is the weakest part of the game as it's just "humans in space"
Other franchises did the same concept with more imagination.

But it's hard to create a truly diverse landscape when your only concept of "Diversity" is making everyone varying shades of brown, and every culture in every part of known space the same mix of skin colors.

You would have thought going to meet "Vladimir Sall" would get you to Russian space, where you would be surrounded by a bunch of Russian characters, who would at least appear white on the outside. But no.

9XIJmzp.png

ind33d

Learned
I think the setting is the weakest part of the game as it's just "humans in space"

But it's hard to create a truly diverse landscape when your only concept of "Diversity" is making everyone varying shades of brown, and every culture in every part of known space the same mix of skin colors.

You would have thought going to meet "Vladimir Sall" would get you to Russian space, where you would be surrounded by a bunch of Russian characters, who would at least appear white on the outside. But no.

9XIJmzp.png
america was a 247 year-long ponzi scheme by blacked.com

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
idk there just is no setting at all. It's literally humans went into space and took all their leftist moral values with them and then stopped progressing/developing and just stayed like that for 300 years.

last sci-fi that I remember reading was Asimov's caves of steel and that's "humans in space" too but it's 10x more interesting, they really dropped the ball on this one

Vic

Savant
tl;dw - Dialogue choices totally don't matter in this game. Outcome is always the same. Totally linear experience.
i think most dialogue choices don't matter but many quests have multiple outcomes. you can decide to spare or kill somebody, or have multiple ways to solve a quest for example.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Most of modern culture is cargo cult. Media is no exception. Writers don't seem to have a story they want to tell, they just have boxes to tick.

☑ space game
☑ philosophy stuff
☑ RPG stuff
☑ gays
☑ eat ze bugs
☑ black people everywhere
☑ vitiligo

SmartCheetah

Arcane
tl;dw - Dialogue choices totally don't matter in this game. Outcome is always the same. Totally linear experience.
i think most dialogue choices don't matter but many quests have multiple outcomes. you can decide to spare or kill somebody, or have multiple ways to solve a quest for example.
Quake I is an RPG then. I could have left the level without killing all of the enemies or I could have killed them. MULTIPLE OUTCOMES!

Thing is - those multiple outcomes you are talking about mean absolutely nothing for the game world. It's like, your "outcome" is just another two lines of voice acting and nothing else.

Vic

Savant
Thing is - those multiple outcomes you are talking about mean absolutely nothing for the game world. It's like, your "outcome" is just another two lines of voice acting and nothing else.
did you play the fucking game?

there is a lot of negative propaganda going on. I'll just tell you that it has real choice and consequence for a change, also unique dialogue options based on traits, perks, and active companions. It's still a Bethesda game but they sprinkled some of that shit in there for sure

Lemming42

Arcane
There appear to be pretty decisive consequences in terms of quest lines that force you to make a binary decision at the end (microbes vs dinosaurs to deal with the terrormorphs, crimson fleet vs sysdef, etc). Characters then keep talking about your decision long after you've made it, with specific reference to what you chose. There's also been a couple random events that appear to only trigger as a result of your decision on a previous quest, as in Fo3.

There aren't any world-changing effects, but there's definitely proper concrete C&C in the faction questlines in terms of letting you make a decision and then the game remembering it. I now have access to the sysdef mission board for siding with them and the Crimson Fleet characters have been removed from the game, plus hostile CF ships now spawn as a random event; I can only assume the inverse is true if you side with CF.

Most quests also have nice minor C&C - being able to consistently avoid combat through dialogue being the most obvious example.

Last edited:

Silverfish

Arbiter
idk there just is no setting at all. It's literally humans went into space and took all their leftist moral values with them and then stopped progressing/developing and just stayed like that for 300 years.

In fairness, this is the same dev who thinks that nukes going off means 200 years straight of Mad Max. Weirdly, their medieval fantasy series is the one where time seems to pass.

Lemming42

Arcane
The big issue with the setting IMO is that it's very inconsistent in both tone and details. Some of the technology looks very 1970s, but there's no indication as far as I can tell that the game takes place in an alternate timeline or whatever. The cities fitting into neat genres (solarpunk, western, cyberpunk) also doesn't help, making it feel less cohesive and making the technology level of the setting even harder to pinpoint.

The aesthetics of the ships and suits make it feel somewhat grounded in reality (albeit a 1970s sort of view of the future), but then shit like the cyberpunk city makes it feel like it's not even slightly rooted in an extrapolation of real world tech.

It also doesn't help that the Freestar vs United Colonies stuff doesn't really gel. There's no reason not to join both, the ideological or philosophical difference between them isn't really all that clear, and you very rarely feel like there's actually any kind of tension between them. The game is theoretically set in a post-war world which is something I always find interesting, but it rarely feels like it.

Darkwind

Liturgist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
So as far as I'm understanding it, there are two ways to find things to do in unexplored space.
rp47ve5.png

One is to look for these white diamonds, which are some kind of event going on in orbit of the planet.

FHI0ftd.png

The other is to look for this symbol, which represents the presence of a settlement.

Is that it? I'm seeing the "..." marks on some planets, but the content there seems to be near-universally pretty bad - usually just some pirate outpost or warehouse with no real story or quest or dialogue, just a trash mob of enemies and some crap loot. I've also tried landing on procgen planets and exploring their caves and such, but again the content is simply not worth bothering with for someone who isn't interested in the resource gathering and outpost building aspects.

Procgen stuff is horrendous. I did it twice and gave up. Even those "points of interest" you are referencing ain't all that interesting. I'll do some if I'm in that system and in the mood, but I'm basically sticking to main/faction/scripted questlines at this point. This game is generic AF even by Bethesda standards.

I'm sure there are some good sidequests but I can't be bothered sifting through the shit to get to them. Maybe someone will make a list somewhere of sidequests worth bothering with.

Last edited:

Vic

Savant
Even those "points of interest" you are referencing ain't all that interesting.
yes, reposting again because the threads got merged:

Starfield procedural generation FAQ​

Q: Which parts of Starfield are created using procedural generation?
A: Most content on planets outside of named cities or quest locations is procedurally generated. This includes generic areas such as Abandoned Mining Platforms, Outposts, and other similar places. When you land on a planet, the game produces a tile with various procedurally generated points of interest, but these tiles don’t interact with each other.

Q: How can I identify hand-crafted content in Starfield?
A: All named locations in Starfield are either partially or entirely hand-crafted. If a location contains narrative content or named NPCs, it’s likely hand-made. Examples of such places are Akila City, Cydonia, and Neon.

Q: Is there a noticeable quality difference between the procedurally generated and hand-crafted content?
A: Yes, while the procedurally-generated content offers variety and exploration, there is a distinct difference in quality and narrative depth compared to hand-crafted locations. The hand-crafted sites typically contain richer stories and narratives, whereas the procedurally generated areas exist without any deeper narrative context.

----------

Basically don't bother with all those points of interest, there's nothing there.

And regardless of all the proc-gen stuff, Starfield still has more hand-crafted content and voiced dialogue lines than any previous bethesda game, so there's lots to discover, if you don't waste time with the proc-gen stuff.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom