Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Steam curators

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The Codex recommended Unrest. Your credibility is ruined forever, too - sorry.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
If I would make a very strict "HiddenX personal favorite pure CRPGs" list. It would have even less games than the Codex list.
And I could perhaps add one game per year. There's no fun in this.

In fact I like it this way. Let the Codex make a more hardcore list. I curate with my fellow Watchers a more inclusive list.
Everyone can view the lists due to his current tastes to find new interesting games.
It makes absolutely no sense to make two identical lists.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
The Teen & Twen rate is much higher here at the Codex. At least the people I know.
well, duh. the ranks of 30yo nerds looking for new online communities increase at a lower pace than the numbers of new freshly-hatched chick nerds, so the rate gets shittier and shittier perpetually and with every influx wave. we still have more old nerds than you do.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Exception that proves the rule ;)
I'm quoting an older post I wrote, since misuse of sayings is a pet peeve of mine. I know you used it sarcastically, but I don't know if you know the origin/real meaning of the phrase, so don't take this personally. At the very least, somebody reading this might learn something new.

There are two theories on the origin of the phrase:
1. "prove" is used with the older sense of "test" (ex. bulletproof or 70% proof alcohol), so exceptions can be used to test a rule and show it false. Ex. an ostrich tests the rule that "birds can fly"
2. exceptions cases can show that there is a stronger rule in effect. In other words, the exceptions mean that save for those specific cases, the rule applies by default. Ex. a building with a designated smoking area shows that with the exception of that area, smoking is not allowed.

In the context of Aristotelian (binary) logic, if you have a rule R: "all elements of set S have property p" it is sufficient to show "there exists element e of set S that does not have property p" is true in order to disprove R. In other words, the exception disproves the rule.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I was a bit disappointed at first from the Bioshock series, because they were announced as System Shock successors, which there are clearly not. Still great setting, art style, music and atmosphere.

Does that make a good/great game?

Angthoron

Arcane
Most of us started gaming before Codexers were born

You are recommending Biocock Infinite

proof that getting older doesn't necessarily make you any wiser

... but perhaps more tolerant?
I was a bit disappointed at first from the Bioshock series, because they were announced as System Shock successors,
which there are clearly not. Still great setting, art style, music and atmosphere.
More tolerant to recommending non-RPGs as an RPG site? A slippery slope, sir.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
Why is Legend of Grimrock 2 on the list? Was it not just released today? Did one of you actually play through the entirety of the game? "Featuring improved enemy AI", from what I have heard the combat still devolves into square dancing so I'm not sure this is true. I think we should have a rule against adding games on release (unless the game has a long open beta before hand that shows a majority of the game, and even then maybe not).

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Why is Legend of Grimrock 2 on the list? Was it not just released today? Did one of you actually play through the entirety of the game?
because 1 is on the list and 2 is better in all areas.

I think the point is that LoG2 appeared on the list before we could've formed any kind of critical consensus about it. Maybe it seems better at first, but then the quality takes a nosedive? Unlikely, but possible. Why not wait a few days until our esteemed members have had a chance to delve a bit deeper into the game?

It's not like we're a degenerate gaming website that needs clicks from its Day 1 reviews in order to survive.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
I think the point is that LoG2 appeared on the list before we could've formed any kind of critical consensus about it.
the critical consensus will be that it's better than log1, up to the point where even tb-loving rt-hating blobber fags like me enjoy it. sometimes you just know.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
I also agree, as a result I have removed LoG II from the curators list.

However, having also played LoG II and enjoying it, I highly recommend it as a game all Codexians who enjoyed the original LoG should play. Thus I am adding it back to the list.

And if later, as I play the game, I find it descends into 8-bit graphics and fighting fairies wearing underpants while a deep romance plot evolves around your main character, I will remove it from the list.

CRISIS AVERTED

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom