Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Steam is (NO LONGER) charging for mods now lmao

Seerix

Arbiter
Fucking drama queen modders, I was amazed when I found out thousand people downloaded my shitty mods and I got access to hidden forums on the Nexus and those fuckers complain that only so and so people endorse when they get like 100k downloads? :lol: You'd think so much hard work would imply that they're intelligent and respectable people, but then again any idiot can work hard and feel entitled to reward ten times the size of their efforts.

Unwanted

Hatred

Unwanted
Sperglords are generally defined by their dedication/hard work. They are also sometimes unreasonable. It is known.

Funny for him to speak of "community" when he just decided they're all shitlords because they prevented him from getting a few Scooby Snacks from Gaben.

"655k users downloaded my mod, but only 27k 'liked' it! Waaah!"

:hm:

Primadonna modders give a bad rep for their brethren.

It's like he feels...entitled to those endorsements.

:dance:

The Nexus has been bugging users for a while to go back and endorse everything they ever downloaded whenever they DL a new file. I bet it was introduced after a drama or two in their private forums.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Jesus Christ the stuff about not getting enough ~endorsements~

shit, when I made Muffinwind for Morrowind and it ended up hitting around 10k downloads over a few sites, I was humbled that so many people wanted to experience something I'd made and that it hopefully gave them some fun and laughter. I don't really care that it flew under the radar compared to a lot of mods and that it doesn't get talked about much now - I still get the odd email about it, it had positive reception, people liked it and that's an amazing feeling. I don't need to be fucking internet-famous to be glad I could put my work out there for people to enjoy and proud that it reached an audience of what is still, let's face it, a shitload more people than pretty much anything I do in the real world will.

I talked shit about modders in this thread, yeah, but I'm sure most modders feel the same way as I do/did. It's weird and shitty, if sadly not surprising, to see... this lot :?

I'd say burn the Nexus to the ground but I'd really rather not push more people in the direction of Steam Workshop at this point.

Bruticis

LOL, what did "we win"? My god you people are seriously hilarious with your entitlement issues and dildo dick swords.

More like modders are the crybaby sellout drama queens, so...nothing has changed, really.

LOL, what did "we win"?

A world without monetized mods.

VR56HWw.gif

Bruticis

VR56HWw.gif
For 2 more months or so, until the newest iteration of this idea comes along.

Probably not for skyrim or with the same mod authors. If people remain vigilant then this shit will never fly. Since massive steam boycott and bethesda boycott probably wont happen then paid mods probably will.
:negative:
Cause that always works out....Insert boycott modern warfare part whatever image here.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

VR56HWw.gif
For 2 more months or so, until the newest iteration of this idea comes along.

Probably not for skyrim or with the same mod authors. If people remain vigilant then this shit will never fly. Since massive steam boycott and bethesda boycott probably wont happen then paid mods probably will.
:negative:
Cause that always works out....Insert boycott modern warfare part whatever image here.

Luckily Fallout 4 is single player so we don't have to boycott.. we just don't have to pay.

Drowed

Arcane
This was not exactly a boycott, was more something like a protest.

But, yes, Valve made it clear that they didn't give up the idea - only that "to introduce it in a community already formed wasn't the best way to do it".

Again:

gagagaben.jpg

Telengard

Arcane
So much butthurt. So Valve allows modders to charge for their work and people go all Baltimore on them because of "muh free shit"? Is that it? Is that all there's to it? Because unless I'm missing something here this is like Citizen Kane of entitlement. A typical case of faux moralizing (corporaishuns, cpatilsm!!!1, greeeed) covering up a nasty little "I don't wanna pay for nuffins" type of shit, nurtured by F2P, freeware, piracy and general glut of games.

The only side of this I found disgusting is the cut the mods were supposed to pay to whoever (Valve? The devs? Didn't pay enough attention). 50 percent? That's something I would understand people objecting to. For instance in business the usual cut franchise joints pay to the holder of the brand is below 10 percent.

Appart from that my message to the butthurt nerds would be - you wanna get shit for free? Then make something for free first. Then you can bitch.
You did realize you are talking on a board filled with modders who've given stuff away for free, right? Right?
So much butthurt. So Valve allows modders to charge for their work and people go all Baltimore on them because of "muh free shit"? Is that it?

No, that's not it. There have been plenty of detailed arguments in this thread about all the problems this causes in a modding scene based on collaboration and sharing of assets (some not licensed for commercial use), including some good posts from modders like Ghostdog. Why not give them a read? (I'm guessing you haven't read much of this thread - fair enough it is 41 pages - because you're asking stuff like this : )

You got that right I didn't read all those 41 pages. Just the last three and all I saw was people whining about muh free shit.

I've read ghostdog's comment. So he would never charge for his mod. And that's great. But how does it follow that people who would do it are somehow spawns of Yog-Sothoth to be hunted down by a mob and burned at the stake?

In my student days I've put hundreds of hours into translating various obscure movies and TV shows and videogames and uploading subtitles for free, just because I enjoyed them and wanted people who don't speak English (and most Czech Potatoes don't) to enjoy them too. Have I ever thought that professional translators are scum of the earth?

Problems? Problems exist to be solved. Plus the question never is whether or not there will be problems but whether the problems outweigh the benefits. Has anyone tried to analyze what could have been? What the modding scene could've become with the OPTION to pay for mods? And with Gaben's giant fat ass behind it? I doubt it. Because muh nerdrage outrage.
There there, little boy. We already know what it could have been, and we know you are missing out on nothing, because we all already have a prime example. EA already went down this road of paid mods years and years ago. (Yes, the awesome Steam is following in the great devil's hoofsteps). And we know exactly what it will do to the modding scene. And, no, it doesn't lead to perfume and roses for everyone.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
A few little goodies That I missed before the Workshop was closed:

awx5vPE.png

A Full Review Of All The Paid Mods Given By Someone Who Knows About Modding
(Spoiler: They All Were Shitty Hack Jobs)
It's a great read.. I laughed my ass off.

hVsfaPL.jpg

The best part of this is, you can't even get the armor ingame. You need to cheat it in. As of this album there is no quest to get the set, no chest to find it in, and no way to craft it. This is a cheat armor that you get through cheating. Keep it classy.

The Gift That Keeps On Giving:
http:// http://afkmods.iguanadons.n...skyrim-workshop-now-supports-paid-mods/page-6
Arthmoor said:
This person invalidated their entire post by pirating all of the mods. That's not acceptable under any circumstances.
Garthand said:
I didn't notice that the first go-around, good catch. Then again, this should be an opportunity to see the free market in action. Why is their DRM on games but not mods? Maybe someone can find a way to DRM-ify mods and make a tidy profit doing so.

After The Store Closure Announcement

(Gonna Verbatim this shit and snip his boring responses to random posters)
Arthmoor said:
Anyway, we got shanked. Do they seriously expect anyone to trust them when they want to try again? They've clearly demonstrated they're willing to sacrifice the very people who make mods in order to satisfy the trolls who likely don't.

--

I don't think I'd trust them with another attempt at this point. They have to realize this isn't going to sit well with those of us they invited to join, encouraged to participate, and then encouraged to stick it out and ignore the trolls. Why should we trust them at all after that? Demonstrating that you can't keep your word is a serious problem.

--

Also just found out from someone who bought my mod that the payments have all been forced to go through the Steam wallet. We were NOT told about this aspect ahead of time. So now all of the refunds Valve thinks they're being gracious with are going to be stuck in their Steam wallets going nowhere. In essence, they're keeping every dime of their cut from this.

It's made substantially worse because there's a $5 minimum on buying wallet dollars.

--

I don't think any of us who are regular TES modders are going to trust another attempt, even if it's in 2018. As they say, the internet has a long memory. Those of us Valve just screwed over won't forget this easily.

--

Actually the modding TIME was wasted quite thoroughly since all of the mods are finished. Those who aren't putting them out there for free now have pretty much been completely screwed.

Since Valve has yet to tell us whether we even CAN put them out for free (since they're still listed), mine is in limbo. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to bother either. I might just let it stay in the hands of those who paid for it and leave it at that. This whole affair has left a really bad impression on me of what people still claim is a community.

NaySayer said:
Arthmoor, as much as I wanted to agree with you because of your dedication and everything you did for the Unofficial patches for both Oblivion and Skyrim, I think you aren't right here. The amount of vitriol and negative thoughts about paid mods was mind-blowingly huge. It weren't just the trolls. Everyone was complaining. From mod users to mod makers, I couldn't access a single Skyrim site or page without hearing the "bad news". I even temporarily stopped playing Skyrim, I couldn't immerse myself into game because of the overwhelming negativity within the fans. Yes, it did freak me out. What Bethesda & Valve have done now was a bold but good move. Even though I never considered the paid mods to be a bad idea by default, on the contrary, the way it was implemented and reaction of the public was just terrible. Let it pass.
The question about paid mods has been raised, so I'm sure donation feature will be implemented and used better.

Arthmoor Feelz said:
Doesn't mean I have to like being shanked because a bunch of trolls got their way.

:butthurt:

After All was said and done.. WE all have one question left on our minds

Arthmoor said:
It's all wallet dollars. You had to use them to buy the mods in the first place, and all refunds go right back there. Valve loses nothing. That money is still locked inside of its financial ecosystem. So yes, they're pocketing all the money, because you can't take wallet dollars back out.

What we still don't know yet is if we're going to get our payouts.
Since they're no longer talking to any of us we can't know.

gabe-troll.jpg

Last edited:

flabbyjack

Arcane
This thread is huge, I can't possibly read through all 50 pages, but the thought occurred to me that some mods make it to the big-leagues and are featured as DLCs/expansions.

Pay-for-mods seems to just cut out the licensing hassles and also quality control rigors you'd get through a 'normal' Steam release.

Imagine convincing someone to work for you, but make them believe it's a partnership. They do all the work and bear all the responsibility, and you just pass by once in a while to collect your cut, which is bigger than your dang ol' pardner's, by the way. Then when the public isn't interested, you tell your best fella in the world that you tried to help him, but welp, those nasty people won't let that happen. Then you leave your #1 buddy in a sidewalk and go back to the drawing board, hearing one week later that your brother from another mother has hanged himself after being called a jew on the street. You take a sip from your glass of chianti, and whisper to yourself: "r00fles!!".

Nikaido

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I'm not sure why anyone would think it legitimate for bethesda to take a cut from mods. In any other areas of software that kind of thing would be seen as nuts. Jetbrains doesn't give money to Microsoft for the right to develop Resharper, which greatly extends Visual Studio's functionality. Programmers of Photoshop plugins don't pay Adobe for the right to sell them. There is no difference between your average shitty skyrim mod and, say, a photoshop plugin. They both require another piece of software, but they DON'T distribute said piece of software (unlike, say, having to license a game engine and then redistributing your own copy of it in full).

Bethesda is even more jew than adobe.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom