Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Steam trolls the universe

MMXI

Arcane
BLOBERT said:
BRO SKYWAY SORRY I MADE FUN OF YOU LIKE THAT GLAD YOU TOOK IT WELL
IT'S COOL BRO I'M SURE YOU WERE TRANSLATING THE JOKE FOR THE OBJECTS OF THE JOKE IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN

MetalCraze

Arcane
When a newfag-alt with 2011 as his nickname makes the joke you should be making, Bro, and you go explaining that obvious joke it means you have declined, Bro.

Bro, I am disappoint

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO SKYWAY YOU ARE THE NEWFAG LOLLOLLOL YOU ARE THE JOKE I SHOULD BE MAKING IF ANYTHING THAT IS MY SHAME

THE SAD THING IS I CAN SOBER UP BUT YOU WILL ALWAYS BEE THE POPAMOLE MOTHERFUCKER LOLLOLLOLOLOL

racofer

Thread Incliner
MOLES POP, CODEX SHIVERS.

THE MOLES ARE LIKE FIREWORKS. THEY DON'T POP UNLESS THEY'RE POPPED!

CODEXERS DON'T NEED ADVICE. NEWFAGS WON'T TAKE IT!

LET ME EMBRACE THEE, SOUR DECLINE, FOR CODEXERS SAY ITS THE WISEST COURSE!

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Well... there goes that.

It's a kick in the teeth, that's for sure. I wait almost 14 YEARS for a game to come out, and then find that I can't buy it, but only rent it? That I cannot play it on my terms, when I want to?

Forget it. I'll rather boycott/ignore it rather than bend under this pseudo-savior of PC gaming. If Steam won't kill PC gaming, it'll cleave the platform in twain, creating a gaming platform called "Steam" and another platform that can at least still be called "PC", because it allows me to play my game WHEN I want to, WHEREEVER I want to, HOWEVER I damn please. It's a freedom that I consider a right, not a privilege. I do not care what a EULA claims, alleges and asserts, especially when game EULAs have yet to be enforced in a court of law. In this case, I will not give up my rights.

I'll rather go without. I don't pirate games anymore, because it's too much of a hassle for what inevitably turns out to be a crap product. At least DNF will release a demo, but what's the point of that when, for all sakes and purposes, the game is unavailable to me?

LordDenton

Augur
Country_Gravy said:
LordDenton said:
I.C. Wiener said:
Or you could, you know, buy it on steam.
More like "rent it on Steam". ;)

Either way, never gonna happen. When I buy my games I want the copy to be mine forever. I don't want it to be tied to some bullshit remote DRM server like Steam. Thus, when physical editions are infected with Steam, the only option for me is The Pirate Bay. Sad, but what can ya do.

Couldn't you just "rent it on Steam" and then if something happens to steam or for some reason you know that you are moving to some backwoods shithole that doesn't have internet, you could pirate it and feel like you "Have it forever".

Everybody wins except then you have to pay money and you don't feel like a totally cool rebel.

If I were to rent it on Steam, I would be telling the publisher that infecting the game with Steam was a good idea. And that's not exactly the message I want to send them. ;)

Orgasm

Barely Literate
BLOBERT is caring way to much lately. He even made a thread about decline and shit.
Whats wrong bro? Tuff times?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
BLOBERT wins again.

LordDenton said:
If I were to rent it on Steam, I would be telling the publisher that infecting the game with Steam was a good idea. And that's not exactly the message I want to send them. ;)

Or you could just realize your one (abstention from) purchase out of hundreds of thousands is meaningless in the grand scheme of things and give it up. Funny thing is I bet most of the people here who have these principled stances when it comes to gaming don't have anywhere near the same stances when it comes to more meaningful things and just go with the flow. Life's too short, you won't change anything.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
xemous said:
//this is a response to the plants that are trying to swindle honest members into renting duke nukem forever off steam.

theres absolutely nothing wrong with downloading and sharing software u shouldn't feel ashamed. sometimes it's okay to buy software, like the game thief for instance, but then sometimes it's not okay. like now, it wouldn't be right to buy the game thief because all the developers are gone and a swindler is pretending to 'own' thief and getting your hard earned money for nothing. is that what the codex wnats to encourage, giving money away to swindlers and frauds? i dont think so. use your head.

is it okay to buy fallout new vegas? i dont think so, for one it's not a fallout game it's a fraud. 2. even if u liked the game how much is obsidians cut of the profits? how much should the asset developers of bethesda get? all these questions need answering. blindly buying video games seems like a disorder. perhaps you're suffering from anxiety like a fat person eats u need to buy on impulse. then u feel guilty and want others to be just as stupid as u so that you're not alone.

i suspect this is the case for ardent anti-software-sharing advocates.

f_stonedm_a769bc4.jpg

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Metro said:
Or you could just realize your one (abstention from) purchase out of hundreds of thousands is meaningless in the grand scheme of things and give it up. Funny thing is I bet most of the people here who have these principled stances when it comes to gaming don't have anywhere near the same stances when it comes to more meaningful things and just go with the flow. Life's too short, you won't change anything.
Because you cannot completely change the world during your lifetime, you should not even try? Or did I misunderstand you? I'm not going to buy the game since it absolutely requires Steam. Too bad that I'll miss a probably decently entertaining shooter but then again, I still have the two Painkiller expansions to go through so I'm good.

LordDenton

Augur
Metro said:
BLOBERT wins again.

LordDenton said:

Indeed. But it's not like I'm going out of my way when downloading it off TPB.

Option 1: Steam = Locked with DRM. A rental disguised as a permanent purchase. + You tell the publishers that using Steam was the right thing to do + You lose $50

Option 2: TPB = Clean. No DRM. The game is yours forever. + You lose $0, but you don't support the publisher (but who cares, if they are willing to alleviate my basic consumer rights, right?)

The choice is simple. They must really, REALLY want me to pick option 2, otherwise they wouldn't infect their physical editions with Steam.

Sulimo

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
xemous said:
is it okay to buy fallout new vegas? i dont think so, for one it's not a fallout game it's a fraud. 2. even if u liked the game how much is obsidians cut of the profits? how much should the asset developers of bethesda get? all these questions need answering. blindly buying video games seems like a disorder. perhaps you're suffering from anxiety like a fat person eats u need to buy on impulse. then u feel guilty and want others to be just as stupid as u so that you're not alone.

Okay, 2 points.

1) Proper capitalization, try it sometimes. Also, 'u' is not a proper personal pronoun in the English language. It is in Dutch, but we all know Dutch is German for silly people.

2) We all know the developer gets a rather small part of the spoils. This doesn't mean buying, let's say, F:NV is useless for Obsidian. If they can say they developed a game that sold 3 million + copies, they'll be in a better negotiating position if they ever pitch a new game to a publisher, which means they won't go out of business any time soon. It's hardly fair most of the profit passes them by, but, as the old Kwanzanian adage goes, "vote with your wallet."

Sulimo

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
If so, he's one of the subtler trolls and should be applauded for his efforts to make the codex a funnier place. Bravo. :salute:

Peter

Arcane
BLOBERT said:
BRO CARING AND BOREDOM CAN BE EASIOY CONFUSED

Oh come on. We've all heard that one a thousand times.

What's wrong, BRO? You can talk to us.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
LordDenton said:
Option 2: TPB = Clean. No DRM. The game is yours forever. + You lose $0, but you don't support the publisher (but who cares, if they are willing to alleviate my basic consumer rights, right?)

You have a very odd concept of ownership.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom