Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Still at work?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
How is the progress going? A brief one-liner would be fine!

Just so the good readers don't feel all vapor-whiny, you understand.

Jora

Arcane
This was posted ten days ago:

"Update:

Nick is preparing the engine for ZRPG. His programming tasks for AoD are almost done (i.e. all that's left are tweaking here and there - think of the changes from R2 to R3).

Same goes for Oscar. All maps, items, and textures are done, so he's doing a lot of work for ZRPG.

Ivan is working on civilian "atmospheric" animations. Think Gothic.

What's left for AoD is the same old tweaking. You know what we went through with the combat system - took us almost a year of tweaking to get it to the "it was good" state. Now we are working on the quests, dialogues, and non-combat mechanics (like sneaking). We'll show you something cool soon. It's my job, but Oscar and Nick are helping me as well (feedback and suggestions).

Hopefully, the demo shows that:

a) we do have a game (i.e. it's not a fantasy).

While the demo was short, it showed a lot of things: the engine with a TB combat system, the character system, the inventory system, the in-game text log, the items database, the dialogue system (while the dialogues were fairly straightforward, the system worked well and showed different elements: conditions for jumping to other lines work well - every time you talk to the arena master, the dialogue jumps to the correct text block or sends you to fight the right guy, it checks for the events (like killing a civilian and then talking to the arena master) and overrides the lines if conditions are met, the scripts work well (agreeing to fight generates enemies from the NPC database, places them in the arena, creates a party if necessary (barbari, the guards) and assign them to this party, sets them hostile to the player character, and teleports your character), you can make choices, which reduce the number of your available lines later, the inventory updates, save/load, etc.

So, for us, it was a good test and the dialogue system did very well.

b) the game does require a lot of work and a lot of tweaking, and we are not talking about making the most perfect game ever, as the demo was far from perfect. I hope that now people understand what tweaking is and why it's important.

c) the game WILL be released. I hope that most people did understand just how much the demo has shown and that at this point walking away or losing interest is simply not an option.

I believe that the time spent on the combat system was well spent and I'm sure that the testers who started playing the combat demo in the summer will agree that R3 was a huge improvement even though the core remained the same and there were no major changes. Now we need to do the same with quests, dialogues, and the game flow. No major changes, lotsa tweaking.

My apologies for not posting anything. I've been working a lot (on the game) and it's easy to get carried away, especially when you don't have anything specific to report. Well, if it helps, I've rewritten Marius (a one-time character in the merchants guild first quest who was basically a walking quest solution - a disgruntled, not overly bright guard whom you can manipulate into telling you what the Imperial Guards are up to), changing his personality, reasons, and greatly expanding his role in the game (without affecting other quests). If you want to see the difference or understand what the change adds to the game, I can explain. Otherwise, you can take my word for it."

http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/in ... l#msg47478

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Thanks Jora and VD!

:salute:

A1Pamphlet2a.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom