Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

still having fun with skyrim

Syril

Liturgist
Queued
So the newest DLC for Skyrim is out, you can build your own house and adopt little dovahkins.

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued

wormix

Augur
Skyrim popular, Sims popular, what else would you expect of Simsrim?
Guess I expected people who play it to be sick of it by now.

I mean what do you do after the first 100 hours? It's not like there's any point replaying the game.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Skyrim popular, Sims popular, what else would you expect of Simsrim?
Guess I expected people who play it to be sick of it by now.

I mean what do you do after the first 100 hours? It's not like there's any point replaying the game.

Download all the shitty anime and nude mods from Tesnexus and then fap away.

ohWOW

Dumbfuck Queued
I did EVERYTHING in Skyrim with ONE character that went full god in everything. I was the champion of all daedra lords, guildmaster of all shit, general of the legion (and the murderer of the emperor, plots make no fucking sense and there's 0 consequence in anything we do), craftmaster of all iron daggers, bro of all cities, owner of every avaible house and married to a lizard chick (who apparently is just a cash cow due to some shop she owned). Took me 94 hours. Mostly because I liked to plunder dwemer ruins - they're pretty big.

The worst part of it, is that I didn't exploited anything, it all just "happened" involuntarily.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I did EVERYTHING in Skyrim with ONE character that went full god in everything. I was the champion of all daedra lords, guildmaster of all shit, general of the legion (and the murderer of the emperor, plots make no fucking sense and there's 0 consequence in anything we do), craftmaster of all iron daggers, bro of all cities, owner of every avaible house and married to a lizard chick (who apparently is just a cash cow due to some shop she owned). Took me 94 hours. Mostly because I liked to plunder dwemer ruins - they're pretty big.

The worst part of it, is that I didn't exploited anything, it all just "happened" involuntarily.

Bethesda games allow you to do everything with one character if you want but they also allow you to roleplay. It's pretty much up to you. I had one melee dude do the main quest, companions and stormcloaks while a thief chick did the dark brotherhood, thieve's guild, daedric quests and random shit.

I know a lot of people are exploiters by nature and do everything they can, expecting the game to stop them, but not everyone is like that and Bethesda games are certainly not made with limiting you in mind.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Bethesda games allow you to do everything with one character if you want
No. Morrowind as the first proof.

Was going to say this.

You could be a master of everything in Morrowind and do almost everything easily. There was some exclusions like picking one house, but it wasn't a huge deal in a game with 1,000,000 fucking quests. Also, it's an old game and I was speaking in the present.

ohWOW

Dumbfuck Queued
Not without abusing broken mechanics, a shitton of grind and you actually couldn't join all factions and reach the top.

In Skyrim everything is being shoveled down your throat with force.

DraQ

Arcane
I did EVERYTHING in Skyrim with ONE character
You weren't a Stormcloak, and you weren't the guy who fuxxed the Dark Brotherhood instead of joining.

Yes, this is a problem with Skyrim. It drags you into questlines.

I know a lot of people are exploiters by nature and do everything they can, expecting the game to stop them, but not everyone is like that and Bethesda games are certainly not made with limiting you in mind.
Actually, TES games would be much better with some restrictions and more content exclusion apart from simply having 2-3 mutually exclusive factions.

At least in Morrowind you had skill requirements, though quest conflicts were mostly avoidable already.

Bethesda games allow you to do everything with one character if you want
No. Morrowind as the first proof.
It has Great Houses. Skyrim has picking side in the civil war. It has fuxxing or helping the TG as part of FG questline. Skyrim allows you to fuck the DB or do quests for it. It has option to say "fuck you" to Mehrunes Dagon - Skyrim has this as well.

Of course in Morrowind writing is superior, world is superior, mechanics is richer and so on, but it isn't that different. Apart from mechanics Skyrim is much closer to Morrowind than either of them is to oblivious.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
Bethesda games allow you to do everything with one character if you want but they also allow you to roleplay. It's pretty much up to you. I had one melee dude do the main quest, companions and stormcloaks while a thief chick did the dark brotherhood, thieve's guild, daedric quests and random shit.

You obviously don't need stats, challenges and consequences because that kind of stuff limits your "role-playing possibilities"... Well, modern Bethesda is clearly making games for your kind. Hell, you don't even need video games to play make-believe! You lucky bastard.

ohWOW

Dumbfuck Queued
You weren't a Stormcloak, and you weren't the guy who fuxxed the Dark Brotherhood instead of joining.
Quest line is exactly the same (liberate cities and kill the enemy boss).

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
You obviously don't need stats, challenges and consequences because that kind of stuff limits your "role-playing possibilities"... Well, modern Bethesda is clearly making games for your kind. Hell, you don't even need video games to play make-believe! You lucky bastard.

You didn't read or understand what I said. Nothing limits you in the game from doing everything, but if you WANT to roleplay a character type (which I do) then you can.

visions

Arcane
FM2012 was the best game of 2011. FM2013 is going to be the best game of 2012.

What's the best football manager game, do they keep inclining with time? And which is better, Championship Manager or Football Manager? I remember I had a demo of one of these (CM I think) from a PC Gamer disc in the first half of 2000's that I quite enjoyed, been thinking to try the genre again.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Nothing limits you in the game from doing everything
Which is *THE* problem here.

Not sure what you're asking exactly but I have little problem with how easy it is to do everything with one character because I am perfectly capable of self-restriction. I don't make daggers constantly at level one to max smithing because I don't want to break the game. I don't join the thieve's guild with a massive barbarian because I roleplay my character. I know a lot of people are not like this though and need the game-enforced restriction to prevent them from going buck-fucking-wild.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Nothing limits you in the game from doing everything
Which is *THE* problem here.

Not sure what you're asking exactly but I have little problem with how easy it is to do everything with one character because I am perfectly capable of self-restriction. I don't make daggers constantly at level one to max smithing because I don't want to break the game. I don't join the thieve's guild with a massive barbarian because I roleplay my character. I know a lot of people are not like this though and need the game-enforced restriction to prevent them from going buck-fucking-wild.

:balance:

Bruma Hobo

Lurker

You didn't read or understand what I said. Nothing limits you in the game from doing everything, but if you WANT to roleplay a character type (which I do) then you can.
I, on the other hand, play role-playing games because i like to make decisions on a game-world while considering the attributes (advantages and limitations) of my character/party. Yeah, that would be my own definition of "roleplaying".

In my opinion, without limitations there are no role-playing games, just LARP simulators. Game rules for example are the limitations that separate role-playing games from make-believe and LARP. Content limitations are an integral part of the mythical C&C. And of course, without an HP limit you would be "roleplaying" a god. :lol: Have fun pretending to be a puny adventurer in TES 6.

:hearnoevil:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom