Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Storm of Zehir first impressions

Warden

Arbiter
notnats said:
The trade system is absolutely retarded. I just "earned" 200.000+ gold for a few caravans, that I sent to some random locations, no strategy whatsoever involved.

Obsidian should pay MUCH more attention to balancing stuff, because things like this are ridiculous.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Yeah, another thing is that they promised that gear will be hard to come by. Well, I currently have like 80k gold, and already ran out of stuff to buy, while I'm not even that far in the game I believe.

Another issue I have with it is the supposedly limited resting, which is supposed to be 'rare' because you have to pay for safe rest in taverns, and resting on the overland map is dangerous, but then again, I have shitloads of cash, rooms cost only 50 gold, and cities are relatively near all the time so it just takes a short walk to a nearby city to pay a random orc's worth of gold to eliminate the 'limited' resting.

Erebus

Arcane
Darth Roxor said:
Yeah, another thing is that they promised that gear will be hard to come by.

I don't think you get to find or buy many powerful magical items. Since I didn't want to bother with the crafting system, I finished the game with subpar equipment.

Erebus

Arcane
Volourn said:
Huh? Ph@t lewt is everywhere.

Depends on what you call "ph@t lewt", I guess. When I reached the last dungeon at level 15, I still didn't have a single +3 weapon or armor.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I still have not quite figured out Volly's tirade of angst for SoZ. Perhaps is is the lack of medication or the phase of the moon?

Here is an chart of ph@t loot with volly's best game EVAR NWN1 OC vs SoZ:

NWN1 OC
8===============================================D

SoZ
8==D

One just has to ignore volly when he is off his meds.

Erebus

Arcane
After finishing SoZ, I felt drawn to playing MotB once again (I was feeling story-deprived)... but where has the voice acting gone ? The sound is working fine but I don't hear anything when the characters are speaking !

I've heard that SoZ causes some bugs with MotB. Is this one of them and, if so, how can I correct it ?

serch

Magister
Yes, it's a bug. You have to download the hotfix, just use the patcher for a 333 Mb download. There could be a workaround like copying the fucked up files from the MotB DVD, if you have a slow conection you should check nwn2 forum.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Erebus said:
After finishing SoZ, I felt drawn to playing MotB once again (I was feeling story-deprived)... but where has the voice acting gone ? The sound is working fine but I don't hear anything when the characters are speaking !

I've heard that SoZ causes some bugs with MotB. Is this one of them and, if so, how can I correct it ?

It was a bug with the installer. We have a hotfix coming to address this issue soon.

Silellak

Cipher
Finally got it. Played it for awhile last night.

As someone else said awhile back, it is basically Pirates! meets D&D. I didn't expect interesting characters or a good plot. I expected...Pirates! to meet D&D.

And in that regard, I haven't been disappointed so far. Maybe it's the fact the short dungeons are actually a relief after all the dungeon crawling FO3 required.

It's actually not very IWD-ish at all, other than being shallow plot/character-wise. I wasn't a giant of the IWD games, but then again I might've been if they'd had SoZ's awesome overland map.

I do wish the combat was turn-based, as it gets annoying to keep manually pausing, but I'll deal. I haven't had much trouble with the camera; there are enough options to set it to my liking.

Erebus

Arcane
Anthony Davis said:
It was a bug with the installer. We have a hotfix coming to address this issue soon.

Thanks for the info ! I can wait, I just wanted to know if a fix was coming.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Oh for fuck's sake:

Just a quick email to let you know our suppliers have advised us today that the New Zealand release date for Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir ~ PC Games has changed from 04/12/2008 to 10/12/2008.

Our suppliers have indicated that this new date is looking solid -- here's hoping!

Being at the arse end of the world suxors.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Shagnak said:
Oh for fuck's sake:

Just a quick email to let you know our suppliers have advised us today that the New Zealand release date for Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir ~ PC Games has changed from 04/12/2008 to 10/12/2008.

Our suppliers have indicated that this new date is looking solid -- here's hoping!

Being at the arse end of the world suxors.

Be thankful you don't get it in jan/feb like the other arse of the world.

Starwars

Arcane

As far as I know this hotfix is already out? I know my autoupdater downloaded something (rather big file with "vo" in its name), I assume it had something to do with the voiceovers.

Black

Arcane
You can do this. Uninstall NWN 2, install OC + Motb, copy file named VO_X1.zip from the catalogue Data, install SoZ, paste VO_X1.zip in the data folder. Enjoy voices.

Crichton

Prophet
I got this last week but just installed last night and played a little. As an NWN2 modder, I was really excited about the new features (party creation, overland map, new crafting system), but my expectations for the campaign were a little more limited.

So far, it's been much more challenging than NWN2 or MotB (not that that's difficult). My party, Clangeddin's Axes, consists of

Bob Sanders, Gold Dwarf Paladin (conc/dip)
Maurice Jones-Drew, Gold Dwarf Cleric (conc/alchemy/heal)
Steve Smith, Gold Dwarf Favored Soul (conc/craft weapon/craft armor)
Brian Westbrook, Shield Dwarf Monk (spot/listen/hide/move silently/tumble)

They've done a little bit of this and that, just got their license to trade, upgraded their equipment a little, got up to level 6. I lost about an hour of play time (mostly exploring) when some wyverns crunched me.

The favored soul picked up the leadership feat, but so far we haven't found any dwarves to travel with and we're not interested in humans.

There's plenty of area to explore, but I don't really have a mission at the moment, I've just been told to beat up random encounters and trade.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
How the fuck do you lose to pussy wyverns with a party of fuckin' 4 dwarves? that's fuckin' pathetic.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Starwars said:

As far as I know this hotfix is already out? I know my autoupdater downloaded something (rather big file with "vo" in its name), I assume it had something to do with the voiceovers.

It is.

Crichton

Prophet
My guess? Lousy AC. If I'd realised how tough they were, I might have cast a few buffs.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Have a question about a quest....Spoiler though so if you havent done the Cold Mine quest (name?) on the sword coast dont read below.

ON the Sword Coast, There is a mine with 2 guys running it that are Ogre mages that have cast illusion spells to make themselves look human.

Question; is there a way to discover their identity outside of dialog by exploring the mine?

If you accuse them of lying about their operation they tell you to look around and see if you can find anything suspcicious. I did and couldn't find anything except one wall appeared to be a secret door but I couldnt do anything with it.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Additional question...

When I equip armor, even light armor like a chain shirt, the game says "Your ranger abilities have been disabled due to your armor" or something like that.

What skills does that affect? I have light and medium armor feats so why do I have that restriction? I would like to wear medium armor, but dont want to restrict my ranger skills...

Crichton

Prophet
I haven't made it to that quest yet, the ranger light armor message is a bug; the message occurs frequently when the armor in question is actually light, but the game doesn't realise it.

All armor, light, heavy or medium applies a penalty to skills like Hide, Move Silently and Tumble. The extent of the penalty depends on the armor, light armor has a very small penalty, heavy armor a very large one.

What the message is trying to tell you is that you won't be able to use your ranger two-weapon fighting or archery feats in medium or heavy armor, but if you're sure that the armor you're equipping is light, then the message is in error.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Crichton said:
I haven't made it to that quest yet, the ranger light armor message is a bug; the message occurs frequently when the armor in question is actually light, but the game doesn't realise it.

All armor, light, heavy or medium applies a penalty to skills like Hide, Move Silently and Tumble. The extent of the penalty depends on the armor, light armor has a very small penalty, heavy armor a very large one.

What the message is trying to tell you is that you won't be able to use your ranger two-weapon fighting or archery feats in medium or heavy armor, but if you're sure that the armor you're equipping is light, then the message is in error.

Thanks Crichton. Dang, I want to use medium armor but don't wanna lose my two weapon fighting style.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Saxon1974 said:
Additional question...

When I equip armor, even light armor like a chain shirt, the game says "Your ranger abilities have been disabled due to your armor" or something like that.

What skills does that affect? I have light and medium armor feats so why do I have that restriction? I would like to wear medium armor, but dont want to restrict my ranger skills...

It is a feedback message bug, it does not actually turn off your abilities.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom