Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Strategy with a GOOD story...!

Avé

Liturgist
Fez said:
Avè said:
Old topic I know, but I quite liked Haegemonia's story.

Not mind blowing, but completemented the game nicely.

Haegemonia's story was good, but he game was seriously flawed in the gameplay department. I remember there was problems with bugs and the patches too, though that could be solved by now. It did look very pretty though.

Starcraft was awesome, I suppose that is supported by the fact it still sells and is played by a decent number of people.

It's interesting to see what games last in the memory in the long term, sometimes you can tell from the first go that a game is going to be a classic, other times it grows on you or you are pushed away.

I think the last patch was a couple of months ago, I know on a replay around this time last year, I didnt notice any problems.

Fez

Erudite
Good to hear they sorted it then. It'd be worth getting then as a budget title now that it is polished. I might try it again with the patches, I ended up finishing it before the last patch. The multiplayer never kept my interest.

I was kind of put off getting the expansion, did you ever get around to it?

Avé

Liturgist
Fez said:
Good to hear they sorted it then. It'd be worth getting then as a budget title now that it is polished. I might try it again with the patches, I ended up finishing it before the last patch. The multiplayer never kept my interest.

I was kind of put off getting the expansion, did you ever get around to it?
Yes, it's total pants.

Basically a just a MP/skirmish addon.

If you want to try it, warez it and buy it if you like it, but I was a big IG2/Haegemonia fan, and was sickened at the waste of money it was.

(Google cant even find an english review for it, gamerankings only lists a printed magazine as a reviewer, and that gave it 58%.)

Fez

Erudite
Ouch, glad I avoided it then. I don't think I'll go out of my way to find it, I'm not that eager to play the substandard skirmish again. Bizarre they didn't focus on a good solid SP campaign instead. The MP/skirmish part was more of an after thought in the original, or at least it felt like it.

xemous

Arcane
Fenix was an absolute legend. Him and Raynor made the best team. Legends.

Seven

Erudite
Why hasn't any one mentioned Alpha Centauri and it's expansion. It's TB and it has a story to it. Certainly not an RPG by ant stretch, but I think it's better than anything that's been mentioned thus far according to your criteria.

Lemon

Arcane
Myth: The Fallen Lords & Myth II: Soulblighter - Squad sized RTS. No building, a premium is put on keeping your units alive. Terrain is crucial, river crossings, high ground, castle gates. Units gain experience as the kill making veterans far more effective (they carry over to the next mission.) Its also comicaly bloody with severed appendages, creatures blown apart by Dwarven grenades, and the odd scorch of lighting courtesy a Fetch. Utterly fantastic single player experience.

The story is quite well done, not at all Dungeons and Dragons and not even Tolkien lite. Bungie developed both games, Soulblighter just precededing Halo. Currently there is a fairly active mod scene which updates both titles with patches and odd content. A third Myth title was outsourced to an upstart Mumbo Jumo but it was sent to market after only 9 months of development and in very poor shape. It couldn' meet the standards of the first two titles, the bugs were only more weight. However there was a source code release and fans have made it playable. The quality of the single player remains mediocre though.

Digit

Liturgist
Starcraft+Brood Wars. (complete those and we will be impressed) ;)
Warcraft III+Frozen Throne.

I would also give special mention to Age of Mythology, for being the most fun RTS ever!
Kudos.

Digit

Atrokkus

Erudite
again, StarCraft (+Broodwar)

I'm amazed at the game really, it combines THE BEST MULTIPLAYER IN EXISTENSE, with stunning story!
No wonder, it's always on top of the "Best games in history" lists.

If you are a fan of strategies and at the same time love good storylines, you just HAVE TO play StarCraft!

AZ

Liturgist
I would mention Total Annihilation. I liked the resource management in it mutch more than in Starcraft. Like you can recycle killed units, every unit generates and uses energy.
But Starcraft had very nice ingame videos. :wink:

Fez

Erudite
I see that games seems to have won you over in a big way. Surprising considering the game went from a no-hoper to now being pushed as rather good.

Atrokkus

Erudite
I see that games seems to have won you over in a big way. Surprising considering the game went from a no-hoper to now being pushed as rather good.
Which games do you mean?
StarCraft was never a no-hoper.
You probably mean the COps?

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Yeah, I'm sure he means Cops 2170. I didn't have much hope for the game, but have found myself liking it despite it's quirks. Taking a break from it though thanks to the most excellent Seal Of Evil. Plus, the fact I have a brand new KOTOR2 sitting on my shelf waiting to be installed means that Cops will be waiting a little longer. SoE holds precedence over any Star Wars game though. :D

Total Annihilation was a completely underrated gem in the flood of RTS games out there. One of the few RTS games I really enjoy playing. Just wish it could have gotten better support than it did.

I liked Starcraft as a game, but really I found the storyline somewhat annoying. All you wound up doing was destoying all your own past accomplishments and blowing up/killing a lot of stuff along the way. The story was just all kind of bleak, nihilistic, depressing, and pointless in the end to me. I would have rather had separate campaigns for each of the races where you could actually get something accomplished.

LlamaGod

Cipher
I just like Cops 2170 alot, the only really bad thing about it is the voice acting, but in comparison to Seal of Evil's voice-acting, it's SO much better.

I dont mind the whole combat areas being turn-based in it, kinda a classic TB and since everything is pretty close to each other while enemies still being spread out, you'd be hopping in and out all the time if you didnt have it. 'Hidden Movement' is another classic thing and it only takes a second.

Dunno, just think its a really underrated strategy game and the cyberpunk setting and futuristic urban combat style/zones are very cool.

Opposite of Hanzo, i'm playing Cops instead of Seal of Evil. The painful voice acting and very annoying melee combat AI kinda pissed me off. Durrhurr beastman run into 5 super spiders while crappy wizard has to wait forever to heal again!11

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
LlamaGod said:
Durrhurr beastman run into 5 super spiders while crappy wizard has to wait forever to heal again!11

Methinks you just need to learn how to play the game. Read the manual. :roll:

Actually, did you even play the game. I'm 20+ hours into it and have yet to see any spiders at all. Perhaps you're talking about the two year old demo. The game's changed alot since that. Also, unless you read the manual, you're missing out on ALOT (and I emphasize the word ALOT) of strategy you can implement. The game blows Cops 2170 away despite the RT combat and worse voice acting.

LlamaGod

Cipher
dude, you go into the spider caves for the fire emperyian stone.

But what i'm talking about is how the Beastman will run up to enemies automatically no matter what. And once you finally topple those spiders, he'll run up to more and get even more to come along and everyone is ded.

It's annoying as hell. Just stay put and let me heal your dumb yellow ass.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Read the manual. You can keep them from doing that. There's alot you can do that isn't described in the game itself. Also, using the in game help menu is a must. And I obviously haven't gotten that far in the game. I've been doing all the side quests and exploring every nook and cranny. It's what I do in RPGs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom