Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Suebi faction revealed for Total War: Rome II

oscar

Arcane
Hm?

popup.jpg

The Cucuteni living in large towns in 4000 BC is quite incredible.

Akarnir

Educated
I think the most awesome thing is, if there was a civilization back then 30 000 years ago, we would have no means to tell it, as any sort of vestige would be completely annihilated (we already have trouble finding mayan/Incas ruins).
Which keeps the mystery of whether or not man learned to be a smartass before 8 000 BC. Kind a cool. We can fantasize to our heath content.

One thing that we know for sure, is that civilization did not necessarily originated from the fertile crescent, and writing is older than 4000 BC. Yet we still teach this in high schools, college and even university classes.
The mundane society still clings to these Biblical beliefs, that everything comes from this filthy place. Bab ''bi'' El tower, Abraham and all that shit. Sad, and it's not gonna change any day now.

However, I've yet to see a video game taking place in an hypothetical lost civilization, that does not include Aliens or hollywood Atlante technology (fantasy). I guess I'll see one the day I see my Incas RPG : journey along the Andean Road. (never)

Akarnir

Educated
writing is older than 4000 BC

Sorry, I got distracted by that. Where and when did writing come from, then?

Edit: Nevermind, I found the "Dispilio Tablet". Meh
Oh there's actually much more than meh evidence. Like litteral inscriptions fragment dating as far as 8000 BC. It's not surprising, as coming up with the idea of writing is not a coincidence, just like building barricades, weapons... It can be invented at several places, several times.

Dayyālu

Arcane
I find most of this discussion quite amusing. It is true that the Romanians are building-have built a huge statue of Decebalus? Like the Macedonians (or whatever I'm supposed to call them) building statues to Justinian.

Quite frankly, be paranoid about everything you read. Disregard most stuff that gets on newspapers- it mostly get here through hype and 'big names'.

It turns out that not only ancient writers had a strong political bias- I know it sound obvious, but here it's vital. In eastern Europ, even more so- I've read batshit insane theories about Croats/Serbs and neighbours. So when you read 'ANCIENT AMAZING CIVILIZATION DISCOVERED' first thing, check who wrote it, and why.

After all, keep politics and nationalism out and remember 'QUISQUE EST BARBARUS ALIO'. Every people is worthy of attention and love. Even the Jews.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
In eastern Europ, even more so- I've read batshit insane theories about Croats/Serbs and neighbours.

Ever read a history discussion thread on the Total War forums that touches on the Balkans? Like faction discussion of Medieval II mods set in the medieval Balkans.
Holy fucking shit the flood of "MY COUNTRY WAS MOST POWERFUL BACK THEN EVERYONE WHO DENIES IT SPREADS LIES AGAINST GLORIOUS ROMANIA/WALLACHIA/SERBIA/INSERT COUNTRY HERE" retards is amazing. :lol:

Everytime a thread like this pops up, at least one person appears who tells the mod developer team that their historical research is ALL WRONG because it does not include [INSERT NATION] which was SUPER POWERFUL AND IMPORTANT in the middle ages.
Then someone who is actually knowledgeable about the history of the area and the era, and even is halfway familiar with some of the primary sources, pops up and starts arguing with this person. A Bulgarian pal of mine often helps with historical research for these mods and often gets into arguments with those derpy my-nation-was-an-ancient-superpower people, and he provides sources for his claims and quotes respected historians.
Those derpy people usually respond with: LOL BUT THIS SOURCE IS BIASED AND THIS HISTORIAN IS ALSO BIASED HE JUST WANTS TO SPREAD PROPAGANDA AGAINST MY GLORIOUS NATION EVERYONE JUST SPREADS LIES THE TRUTH IS THAT WE WERE AWESOME I HAVE NO SOURCES TO PROVE THIS BUT YOUR SOURCES ARE ALL LIES BECAUSE WE WERE SO AWESOME, [INSERT COUNTRY] PROUD AND STRONG PEOPLE SINCE ALWAYS, PLEASE INCLUDE [INSERT COUNTRY] IN YOUR MOD OR I WILL NOT PLAY IT BECAUSE THEN IT WOULD NOT BE HISTORICALLY CORRECT BECAUSE WE WERE MIGHTY AND STRONG AND RELEVANT IN HISTORY IT IS ONLY OUR ENEMIES WHO CLAIM THAT WE WERE NOT THEY JUST HATE US BECAUSE WE WERE SO STRONG

Those threads have enormous lulz potential, usually reaching 20+ pages of "Okay bro, you are wrong and here are sources that prove it" versus "MY NATION BEST EVER HATERS GONNA HATE YOU ALL WRONG REMOVE KEBAB". Fucking glorious.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Barbarian fetishists piss me the fuck off. Your ancestors and mine were living in hovels held together with spit and cowshit, accept that they were bitch-slapped into submission by a superior culture and the smart tribes drank deep the ambrosia of imperial rule.

Those noisome celtic faggots are the worst, mostly because their "culture" has spent most of its history in the thralldom of superior nations. Whilst using every product of their benefactors genius and adventuring spirit to spread like a plague across the globe. Blue faced cunts.

bloodlover

Arcane
I find most of this discussion quite amusing. It is true that the Romanians are building-have built a huge statue of Decebalus? Like the Macedonians (or whatever I'm supposed to call them) building statues to Justinian.

Quite frankly, be paranoid about everything you read. Disregard most stuff that gets on newspapers- it mostly get here through hype and 'big names'.

It turns out that not only ancient writers had a strong political bias- I know it sound obvious, but here it's vital. In eastern Europ, even more so- I've read batshit insane theories about Croats/Serbs and neighbours. So when you read 'ANCIENT AMAZING CIVILIZATION DISCOVERED' first thing, check who wrote it, and why.

After all, keep politics and nationalism out and remember 'QUISQUE EST BARBARUS ALIO'. Every people is worthy of attention and love. Even the Jews.

Well there are statues of Decebalus in the country, hell... there's even one in my hometown but it's not what I would call huge. Morons over here do tend to build fucking huge churches and spend waaaaayyy more money than needed on them though.

And yes I am paranoid about what I read. The problem is, most people don't read, they just get what they can from school and movies. I agree than even ancient writers could have been influenced but there is more evidence than writing to sustain what I said. This stuff could have been discovered long ago but we were under communist regime until 1989 and they didn't give a shit about this subject.

Sorry for the long offtopic, Dacians will not be in any game any time soon anyway.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
In eastern Europ, even more so- I've read batshit insane theories about Croats/Serbs and neighbours.

Ever read a history discussion thread on the Total War forums that touches on the Balkans? Like faction discussion of Medieval II mods set in the medieval Balkans.
Holy fucking shit the flood of "MY COUNTRY WAS MOST POWERFUL BACK THEN EVERYONE WHO DENIES IT SPREADS LIES AGAINST GLORIOUS ROMANIA/WALLACHIA/SERBIA/INSERT COUNTRY HERE" retards is amazing. :lol:

Everytime a thread like this pops up, at least one person appears who tells the mod developer team that their historical research is ALL WRONG because it does not include [INSERT NATION] which was SUPER POWERFUL AND IMPORTANT in the middle ages.
Then someone who is actually knowledgeable about the history of the area and the era, and even is halfway familiar with some of the primary sources, pops up and starts arguing with this person. A Bulgarian pal of mine often helps with historical research for these mods and often gets into arguments with those derpy my-nation-was-an-ancient-superpower people, and he provides sources for his claims and quotes respected historians.
Those derpy people usually respond with: LOL BUT THIS SOURCE IS BIASED AND THIS HISTORIAN IS ALSO BIASED HE JUST WANTS TO SPREAD PROPAGANDA AGAINST MY GLORIOUS NATION EVERYONE JUST SPREADS LIES THE TRUTH IS THAT WE WERE AWESOME I HAVE NO SOURCES TO PROVE THIS BUT YOUR SOURCES ARE ALL LIES BECAUSE WE WERE SO AWESOME, [INSERT COUNTRY] PROUD AND STRONG PEOPLE SINCE ALWAYS, PLEASE INCLUDE [INSERT COUNTRY] IN YOUR MOD OR I WILL NOT PLAY IT BECAUSE THEN IT WOULD NOT BE HISTORICALLY CORRECT BECAUSE WE WERE MIGHTY AND STRONG AND RELEVANT IN HISTORY IT IS ONLY OUR ENEMIES WHO CLAIM THAT WE WERE NOT THEY JUST HATE US BECAUSE WE WERE SO STRONG

Those threads have enormous lulz potential, usually reaching 20+ pages of "Okay bro, you are wrong and here are sources that prove it" versus "MY NATION BEST EVER HATERS GONNA HATE YOU ALL WRONG REMOVE KEBAB". Fucking glorious.

That's probably the worst topic that can be brought up in a strategy game forum. Even for Paradox, who includes almost everyone, you'll get these people wondering why their small nation isn't stronger.

Second worst topic would be...

"Why isn't Canada playable in Civilization?"

oscar

Arcane
Why wouldn't Dacia be included? They're one of the more well known and documented barbarian peoples. Plus they gave the Romans a pretty good run for their money militarily.

Akarnir

Educated
Why wouldn't Dacia be included? They're one of the more well known and documented barbarian peoples. Plus they gave the Romans a pretty good run for their money militarily.

If I were to choose 12 factions for Rome 2 (The optimal number), I would go :

-Rome = of course

-Carthage = Rome's dark twin, it's great nemesis, The Gary Oak to Ash. THE Rival.

-Macedon = The most powerful of the ''pure'' Hellenic state.

-Avernii = The most powerful of the Celtic Tribes, Even in a weakened state and constantly back-stabbed gave Rome and it's most Iconic leader a run for it's money.

-Seleucid = The Titan of the east.

-Egypt = The unavoidable Egyptians. Can't make a game in antiquity without them. Plus a nice mix of Hellenic and Pharaoh Culture. The Rival of the Seleucid, Cleopatra...

- Parthia = Still a backwater province, but about to rebel (one can afford a 20 year anachronism at the start of the game) and to become a mighty empire, one that would defeat Rome countless times.

- One powerful Germanic Tribe = Not that much interesting in early years, only managed to be an annoyance to the Gauls. However, in later years some tribes become a major threat to Rome (perhaps to biggest one). Plus, in early years they are your iconic Wild men. They evolve significantly in later years (100 AD and onward).

- Dacians = A big player, especially in the later years. Managed to defeat the Romans and drive them back. Fairly developed, a strong an well armed military. A mix between Hellenic culture, and their own very unique one.

- A Scythian Faction : this culture spread very far. Some of the tribes were fairly powerful. It will also fill these vast wastes in the north, so that it's not just empty and boring territory. A steppe faction with all the challenge tied with it. Could be interesting to play.

- An Indian faction. One of the Western Region of the Mauryan Empires. While much of the Mauryan Empire wouldn't be on the map, this Empire was far from being unified anyway (which explains why i didnt steam roll Asia Minor on east Asia). They still played an important role in Asia minor, and they are pretty exotic.

- Galatian : A fairly weaker faction, a bunch of Gauls lost in Asia Minor. A completely Alien culture compared to all surrounding it. Some kind of Oasis of Celtic Culture in the Middle of a greco-eastern world. There could be a tons of more important factions to choose from, but these guys are too exotic, I would totally play them on first play through for the Lulz of creating a Celtic Empire spanning all Asia Minor.

If there's even MORE than 4 faction DLC, like maybe 8 DLC, the additional factions should be :

- Pontus

- Armenia

- A greek city state : Just for the fun of playing a small coalition trying to survive around all these new big players, that supplanted them. The Aegean sea would also be a fairly interesting place to play in.
You would control small territories, spread out along the different coast, trying to set up a trade Empire. It would be like playing Venise in a Medieval Game.

- Spanish tribe (lusitanian, Iberian or Celt-Iberian) : Pick one of the 3. Each are fairly unique, were also fairly powerfull. They gave Rome a hard time.

Bonus faction

- Iceni : Just to have the extra funding from the UK government. Because of some kind of nationalist law that gives you money if you feature ''british'' in a video Game. Also they would occupy an otherwise empty and isolated place. They would be a good faction for the beginners, as it would be the turtling faction, due to it's unique position. Also chariots are fun.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I'm hoping that the Picts are in somehow, I've always had a soft spot for this particular tribe. Perhaps because they existed from ancient times until well into the Viking age, yet we know fuck all about them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom