Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

suggestion: make the "view previous username" feature permanent

Codex Year of the Donut
appears to fade after some time, keeping track of this is a pain :updatedmytxt:

SumDrunkGuy

You shouldn't be able to change your username peroid. Stop polluting the codex with crazy woke bullshit. Mandatory pronouns are next.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
You shouldn't be able to change your username peroid
It turned itself on during the upgrade. It didn't seem like a big deal at the time. Then the 'dex tankies changed their usernames in unison. Changing them back forcefully feels like violating an implicit contract on the forum. In any case, there's a full log of name changes in the ACP.

But the joke's on them, now they're stuck using these silly names.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I honestly don't understand why you would even want to keep track of people's old usernames.

For what purpose? To hold grudges and cuck-rate their every post? Or the other way around to fellate them with brofists cause they said something somewhere else you agreed with?
Seems damn childish...

It's not like a name change can make anyone hide their old BS posts, either.
The user ID stays the same, and that's what the system actually tracks, not whatever letters are shown in your profile.
So you can still do all that grudge-bearing - just write down their ID instead of the nick.

I'm not even sure there should be a limit to name changes at all.
If someone feels like changing their nick every 2 days, why not let them? I fail to see the harm.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I honestly don't understand why you would even want to keep track of people's old usernames.

For what purpose?

Mostly convenience. Yes, you can note down IDs of posters you prefer to avoid but checking new usernames against them every time is annoying. Remembering name changes makes this less irritating

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

For what purpose?

Mostly convenience. Yes, you can note down IDs of posters you prefer to avoid but checking new usernames against them every time is annoying. Remembering name changes makes this less irritating
Making something you shouldn't be doing anyway - because such obsession is creepy and unhealthy - less convenient is a pro in my book.

But I'm still all for having a display of old usernames somewhere, just for the sake of transparency and satisfying curiosity.

It's a minor thing, anyway, as I can't imagine that even 1-2% of users change their names at all.
Infinitron Do we actually have any numbers of what percentage of users change their names?

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Making something you shouldn't be doing anyway - because such obsession is creepy and unhealthy - less convenient is a pro in my book.

Creepy and unhealthy to avoid shitposters?

You do you I guess

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron

Creepy and unhealthy to avoid shitposters?

You do you I guess
That's what ignore is for, though?

Or do you mean a use case where you would still want to see someone's post, but still somehow know their personal history as to not engage with them?

Hmmm, I could see that.
But if that is actually a desired thing, I'd much rather have a feature for it where users can assign tags to other users that they only see themselves.
While still having name changes be unrestricted.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Or do you mean a use case where you would still want to see someone's post, but still somehow know their personal history as to not engage with them?

Pretty much this

But if that is actually a desired thing, I'd much rather have a feature for it where users can assign tags to other users that they only see themselves.
While still having name changes be unrestricted.

Sounds good, but its science fiction for this site

ElectricOtter

loli gang continues undefeated as crusty kwanford concedes :333

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom