Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Suggestions to break my Adventure Cherry

Did you pussy out? What are you playing Chaotic_Heretic?

QFG IS GLORIOUS!!!! IS THERE ANY OTHER GAME LIKE THAT OUT THERE???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Playing Gothic 2 now, also started grey Matter. But really? I am like a junkie out on the lookout for something QFG like.

EDIT: time to update my sig i suppose. I should count myself lucky I suppose. If only I could get insomnia and play QFG again and again and again....

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
To the question of 'is there another rpg-adventure hybrid' the nearest i can think is bloodnet. Bloodnet has even more horrid combat than all of the QFG games though (QFG5 or QFG4 are those that fans tend to think have the worst combat). But the tone is different; grimdarkness, it is harder (time limit) etc. And it has much less text. I think only Legend entertainment ever competed with sierra on the amount of text.
Bureau 13 is another but that game kinda sucks, and it doesn't really have 'combat'.

btw, do play Sierra Conquests of the Longbow. It's one of the best sierra adventures, and unusual in that it was one of the only Sierra Christie Max games (along with the harsh Conquests of Camelot )
Oh yeah, most (all?) legend entertainment games have a real time (or is it action-forward) clock. And events play out regardless of whether you are in the location or not.

They are dang hard. Easier than KGB, harder than TLE (speaking subjectively).

edit: removed the wikipedia links, they spoil some things.

To the question of 'is there another rpg-adventure hybrid' the nearest i can think is bloodnet. Bloodnet has even more horrid combat than all of the QFG games though (QFG5 or QFG4 are those that fans tend to think have the worst combat). But the tone is different; grimdarkness, it is harder (time limit) etc. And it has much less text. I think only Legend entertainment ever competed with sierra on the amount of text.
Bureau 13 is another but that game kinda sucks, and it doesn't really have 'combat'.

Oh yeah, most (all?) legend entertainment games have a real time (or is it action-forward) clock. And events play out regardless of whether you are in the location or not.

They are dang hard. Easier than KGB, harder than TPE (speaking subjectively).

Bloodnet. m'kay. How about Mage's initiation? It could be an RPG/Adv hybrid?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Yes, it's a clone... i didn't post games that were kickstarted but not out. There are others like that. Heroine's Quest (heroin heh), So you want to be a villain, etc (etc because i know there are more, but can't remember, maybe Hero-U)

Alien Logic i never played, but screenshots have that vibe. That i never heard the game mentioned doesn't bode well for it being tolerable though.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Did you know that there were some adventure games that incorporated strategy game elements?

Rome92 AD was one, on a few of its levels. It's 'sequel' Adventures of Robin Hood was another. Star Control 2 is a 'almost adventure'.

Also don't neglect rpg games that have lots of text to read; they give off a similar feeling that a adventure game has (without most of the puzzles).
Betrayal at Krondor, Darklands, Torment etc.

Heroine's Quest sounds like something Roguey would make. Staying away from that. What are the semi-decent clones you would recommend?

EDIT: had no idea about the strategy/adv hybrids. but pretty much the only strategy game I enjoyed degenerately is Crusader Kings 2 with that pagan dlc.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
btw, do play Sierra Conquests of the Longbow.
It also has quite a bit of C&C. A ton of little things that you do throughout the game will affect the ending. You have to get almost everything right to get the best ending, while the worst ending is.... well, REALLY bad.

They are dang hard.
The Legend adventures? not that much. Timequest is probably the trickiest thanks to being so open-ended, but many of the segments are self-contained and quite easy (the more difficult ones are the ones that interlink with each other, and figuring out how they do is the hardest part of the game, though also a ton of fun).

BTW CH, what class are you playing QFG through?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
They are dang hard.
The Legend adventures? not that much. Timequest is probably the trickiest thanks to being so open-ended, but many of the segments are self-contained and quite easy (the more difficult ones are the ones that interlink with each other, and figuring out how they do is the hardest part of the game, though also a ton of fun).

I was thinking of the Spellcasting games actually. Games with 'open world' locations and RT events : pay attention to the schedule or fail.
A mind forever voyaging was very similar too.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2

The clock moves on a per-action basis in Legend games. It does make them quite challenging as there are 'puzzle internal' time limits, though not any overarching time limits that I can remember (i.e. you can go back the next day and try again).

QFG IS GLORIOUS!!!! IS THERE ANY OTHER GAME LIKE THAT OUT THERE???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

In short, no. There is nothing else that comes close. Bloodnet is frankly a pile of crap compared to QFG. The closest might be Superhero League of Hoboken by Legend, but it's a pretty different sort of game.

As SCO said there are 3 games in production (Heroine's Quest, Mage's Initiation, and Quest for Infamy) which will attempt to be QFG-likes, hopefully all coming out later this year. So replay QFG until then. :D

Bros, took a vacation just for playing QFG...and i regret that. QFG5 is horrible horrible popamole combat. I cannot into QFG5. Guess I am more of a combatfag than i thought.

I am actually more into Grey Matter than QFG5 now. And for my combatfag needs, there is Gothic 2, Dark Souls and JA2

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
You rushed through 1-5 that fast? I guarantee you missed at least half the content.

Anyway, if you want to break off QFG, you can play a lucasarts or legend game. Too much of a good thing can be bad.

After the major adventures games from Sierra and Lucasarts there are many minor studios that put out lone hits or 'interesting' (flawed) games with minor flaws.
For instance, Murders in space is 'interesting' (don't try to play it without the box or images of what was in the box; and without stopping the clock on the interface - you can choose the speed of time in this game).

Other 'interesting' games
Bloodnet (obviously, terrible combat and a global time limit?)
A tale of two kingdoms (multiple solutions and point system will melt your head if you go for special endings)
Return of the phantom and dragonsphere (microprose adventures)
KGB (infamous difficulty)
Lost Eden (practically a hotspot game, but great music and strangely fascinating; only sound version of course)
Superhero League of Hoboken (practically unique; a 'party' 1rst person version hybrid)
Azrael's Tear (paranoiac game; interesting)
Sherlock Holmes and the Case of the serrated scalpel
Discworld 1 (it's better than discworld 2 IMO)
Riddle of Master Lu (i was stuck in germany for years due to hotspot fuckery)
Cosmology of Kyoto

Well 2 weeks vacation... which will end today.

I can be pretty OCD. And as of right now, I literally have no life, because I specifically made some bullshit excuse to get this vacation on such short notice. And I have to substantiate it.

Edit: yeah most probably burn-out, ill take things slow with Adv for a time now.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Well here is a spoiler for content you might have missed in QFG Chaotic_Heretic (i also edited my previous post with other flawed gems):

from the end of qfg2 on, you can gain the 'paladin' class. In QFG2 all classes (except magic users i think, they take the UU test) can become paladins at the end; on QFG3 the fighters can; and on QFG4 maybe-not-sure pure fighters can too (a paladin's sword subplot i never found until 10 years later)
Paladins have special class quests; much like the other classes.

Also a minor thing; but you can gain communication and acrobatics in QFG2 and QFG3 respectively (so they appear on your charsheet one game before they appear in chargen).

There really aren't many places to use them though. Maybe if they had done the same for pickpocket or swimming in QFG4 it could have been nice.

Also the thief (or thief hybrids) quests in QFG5 are interesting in because they use stuff you found before.

Well here is a spoiler for content you might have missed in QFG Chaotic_Heretic (i also edited my previous post with other flawed gems):

from the end of qfg2 on, you can gain the 'paladin' class. In QFG2 all classes (except magic users i think, they take the UU test) can become paladins at the end; on QFG3 the fighters can; and on QFG4 maybe-not-sure pure fighters can too (a paladin's sword subplot i never found until 10 years later)
Paladins have special class quests; much like the other classes.

Also a minor thing; but you can gain communication and acrobatics in QFG2 and QFG3 respectively (so they appear on your charsheet one game before they appear in chargen).

There really aren't many places to use them though. Maybe if they had done the same for pickpocket or swimming in QFG4 it could have been nice.

Also the thief (or thief hybrids) quests in QFG5 are interesting in because they use stuff you found before.

well fuck. Looks like I missed a lot of stuff. Well, looks like a thief replay is a must. Hmm, will pick it up later I suppose.

Tolknaz

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I would suggest Discworld games, but the first one can be ridiculously tough for an adventure game noob if you don't cheat with a walkthrough. Luckily you don't have to play the first to play the second game or Noir (which has completely different theme, protagonist, and story anyway), so you can just go with either of those. Be warned though, that Noir can be a bitch to get working these days if you have a newer OS.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
It's also possible to make
Hybrids with the class specific skills by 'growing' a character by spending points to bring a skill from 0 at game chargen, and thus accessing most secondary class specific content and alternate solutions.

For instance its possible (first primary class, second secondary abilities class)
fighter-magicuser (if you take UU you stop being a fighter i think), fighter-thief, thief-paladin (since thieves can become paladins on qfg2), thief-magicuser (but not wizard)

Thief primary class hybrids are popular, since they know the thief sign (there might be bugs, and i think fighter-thief does too) and can access most thief content.
Training up spells is a pain though (i'm sure you've noticed there are spells to find around the games too).

In the end you can make a paladin that knows everything except 4 spells or so (that one that summons a staff, the rituals spell, juggling lights and thermonuclear blast). It makes for one hilarious ending of QFG5.

It's also possible to make
Hybrids with the class specific skills by 'growing' a character by spending points to bring a skill from 0 at game chargen, and thus accessing most secondary class specific content and alternate solutions.

For instance its possible (first primary class, second secondary abilities class)
fighter-magicuser (if you take UU you stop being a fighter i think), fighter-thief, thief-paladin (since thieves can become paladins on qfg2), thief-magicuser (but not wizard)

Thief primary class hybrids are popular, since they know the thief sign (there might be bugs, and i think fighter-thief does too) and can access most thief content.
Training up spells is a pain though (i'm sure you've noticed there are spells to find around the games too).

In the end you can make a paladin that knows everything except 4 spells or so (that one that summons a staff, the rituals spell, juggling lights and thermonuclear blast). It makes for one hilarious ending of QFG5.

Must. Not. Spoil.

I would suggest Discworld games, but the first one can be ridiculously tough for an adventure game noob if you don't cheat with a walkthrough. Luckily you don't have to play the first to play the second game or Noir (which has completely different theme, protagonist, and story anyway), so you can just go with either of those. Be warned though, that Noir can be a bitch to get working these days if you have a newer OS.

Isn't using a walkthrough, defeating the purpose of an adventure game? I mean the story/puzzles are the primary game-play mechanic (unless some shitty popamole combat is added). Why the fuck would anyone play an adventure game with a walkthrough? I eman...that is just no fun.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Isn't using a walkthrough, defeating the purpose of an adventure game? I mean the story/puzzles are the primary game-play mechanic (unless some shitty popamole combat is added). Why the fuck would anyone play an adventure game with a walkthrough? I eman...that is just no fun.

This is true, though playing the Discworld game for the first time (particularly if you don't have much knowledge of the Discworld setting) may make you question that. They're pretty fun games though, and are (other than Noir) easy to get running with ScummVM.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Did you pussy out? What are you playing Chaotic_Heretic?

Playing Gothic 2 now, also started grey Matter. But really? I am like a junkie out on the lookout for something QFG like.

EDIT: time to update my sig i suppose. I should count myself lucky I suppose. If only I could get insomnia and play QFG again and again and again....

My good sir, you tasted a potent drug and are going to be hooked. Join to the club of those that want a QfG clone for almost two decades but I have a sad thing to say: No, there isn't an adventure game that come even close to what QfG offer. That feeling of you being a hero on an interesting adventure not even many RPGs offer. Pray that Infamous games, Himalaia studious and the Coles are sucessiful or we are fucked.

Hmm I dunno, Ill play The Precursors for a while, take a break from adventure...QFG1-4 pretty much burnt me out. Still hope Mage's Initiaiton and Quest for infamyare good clones.

But I honestly feel retarded, I discovered QFG after so fucking long...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom