Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

System requirements

Calis

Pensionado
Since I'm currently debating whether to get an XBox 360 to run Bioshock and Mass Effect or to buy a new desktop or laptop once some games get released that I'm actually looking forward to, I was wondering what kind of graphics chip requirements AoD is expected to have? In other words, do you expect that my crappy laptop video chip (SiS M760GX) will be able to run it? Seeing the requirements on the Torque engine page, I'd say "yes", but do you programmer-types have any insight on this yet?

Nick

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Well, you may need more RAM and better CPU than written at TGE requirements page, but the video upgrade is not necessary, I think. AoD worked fine on GeForce4 MX440 with 64mb onboard, and didn't want to run on ATI Rage with 8mb =) That's what I can say. Right now I have GeForce 6600 with 256mb, but it doesn't give me any significant advantage.

Pegultagol

Erudite
I think you should exercise prudence or at least apply the wait and see approach to your Xbox360 purchase, at least until that 'Mass Effect' game is released. Every one third of the units are supposedly defective and prone to eventual red ring of death. That console is seriously due for a hardware overhaul, starting with its warping mainboard. I don't think your notebook can play the game as it is in default configuration, but there are always workarounds to this.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Flashback,

How do you guys plan on figuring out system requirments or possible bugs/issues with different configurations/hardware/drivers? Release and patch or is there some sort of plan? Or is this not a problem since TGE already figured it out and did all the testing and your own code/assets really don't impact it?

NiM82

Prophet
Your laptop probably can run AoD, but I doubt it will run 'nicely'... Torque games in my experience can get quite choppy on cheapo integrated cards, I think you'd need a card comparable to at least a Geforce2/4 MX, really.

I recently built a midrange Duo system with 2GB ram and a 8600GTS card for ~£450, runs every modern game I have just fine. It cost a little bit more than a 360, but the games are cheaper. When Dragon Age eventually comes out, you will probably want a good PC for that, and any good Bioshock mods that may happen.

I dare say Mass effect could get a PC release.. eventually, same as HALO and GoW have (despite what Bioware says).

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Will it support 3D goggles!?!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom