Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tabletop Miniature Wargaming

Destroid

Arcane
What games have you played? Which games did you like best and which do you still play?

I've played:

Warhammer 40,000
Warhammer Fantasy
Necromunda
Blood Bowl
Infinity
Full Thrust

Of those games I would say Infinity is quite clearly better than the others. I don't play any of them regularly outside the occasional 40k game and online game of Infinity (over maptool). Wasn't a huge fan of Blood Bowl but Necromunda is also good for a small scale game, although it's mechanics look a bit frail when you become more experienced. WHFB I liked much more than 40k, but I only tried it after I had a full 40k army and wasn't really interested in spending the money and effort to build another. Full Thrust has some interesting concepts (simultaneous turns) but ultimately is not much fun.

Flames of War looks interesting (especially since you can buy 3rd part WW2 figures in smaller scale), it seems quite similar to Epic 40,000, but I've not played a game of it yet.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
I've been interested (obviously) in 40k and Warmachine, but I've never really played...

40k has the most interesting setting (which seems important, as you have to spend so much time painting them miniatures), but the rules seem like such a headache and also just the price of an army is an obstacle.

I'd play Warmachine, but nobody around here plays.

I rather enjoy Cyanide's Blood Bowl.

But overall I've had the most experience playing chess.

Destroid

Arcane
I'd play Warmachine, but nobody around here plays.

That really surprises me, Warmachine has been really heavily promoted and become massively popular. I can't recommend playing 40k tabletop unfortunately, the game just isn't very good, despite the great setting.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Was always interested in Tabletop gaming but never had too much money for it. Had two kinda complete WH 40K armies but quite honestly enjoyed the painting almost more than the playing itself.
What I was into a couple years back was Confrontation (still hoping they won't fuck it up with the upcoming PC game).
Confrontation is set in a medieval fantasy world not unlike Warhammer ('dark and gritty') but battles happen on a smaller, skirmish scale (think Necromunda/Mordheim). It also had a wounding system were heavy wounded characters got worse at fighting. Because of the smaller scale it was much more affordable than a Warhammer Tabletop.

Because of the lack of funds I was playing quite a few boxed or board games like Space Hulk, Heroquest, the Warzone one which name has escaped me (Bauhaus vs Legion in a modular system with tunnels on one side and jungle on the other) etc.

Good times :) but have no one to play these days :(

Quilty

Magister
To me, everything about WH40k is fun except actually playing the game.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
I dunno, a 750-1000 pt game seems like it might be fun to play. But any longer... the game just takes

I still want some 40k miniatures to paint though. But I don't want them for no practical reason... Maybe a 40k chess board?

I guess I could find one or a few people to play Warmachine with, but I don't think that would motivate me to keep playing the game.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Played Warhammer, 40k, LotR and Warmachine. Warmachine is easily the best game out of the lot. I also prefer the fluff, since it's more active and interconnected. Not to mention it doesn't take itself nearly as ridiculously seriously as Warhammers do (despite the fact that several things are pants-on-head retarded, like the timeline in Fantasy Battles).

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Warzone was the shit, I wish that game was still being sold, it's hard to find opponents these days. WH40K is pretty decent, I've got a band of Space Marines painted as Nazis, always fun to watch people's reaction to those. Warmachine is the consolized popamole of the miniatures world.

Vaarna_Aarne

Destroid said:
Not to mention it doesn't take itself nearly as ridiculously seriously as Warhammers do

This is part of the fun!
Well, I guess it's just that I'm tired of the fandom, who have this absurd originality and superiority complex (since they generally don't know the myriad things that influenced 40k, like Dune and Starship Troopers).

And of course, I've gotten a little tired of Orc lulz. Too much is too much, not due to books, but by the fandom spouting the stuff all the time. The recent Muslimboyz post was fun.

But I guess the thing that made me finally move over to Warmachine/Hordes was the fact that the metaplot has stuff happening, status quo isn't absolute and the characters know each other and have interactions (not to mention more personality). Not to mention their forays into grey morality with the human factions have been far more succesful.

I just like it better when there's build up that's going to have a payoff (current one seems to be split between Cryx having some plans in Khador which involves them capturing Karchev, and Vinter IV Raelthorne coming back to claim Cygnaran throne and the Protectorate, and he has enlisted Feora to his plot), like with Coleman Stryker redeeming himself and killing Hierarch Voyle in single combat.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
I was planning to start a Cygnar army and paint the warjacks Transformers colors.

Does anyone play Vassal? I need to learn that someday.

Vaarna_Aarne

I have two 50 point Warmachine armies, both theme lists (one of my favourite features of the game btw). The first one is Epic Stryker's Charge of the Storm Brigade, and the second is Strakhov's Black Operations.

waywardOne

Arcane
wfb, 40k, necromunda

The rulesets have gradually become retarded over the last decade or so. I suggest looking for legacy editions... been a while... 3rd or 4th ed for WFB, 2nd for 40k.

Vaarna_Aarne

I quit 40k a while back, and I quit WHFB with the new edition and went into full "fuck GW" boycott.

Destroid

Arcane
I've posted some before, but the Infinity models are really something. Here is the website for their official painter, he paints for a lot of companies.

VNSwx.jpg

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I was fascinated with WHB/WH40k when I was a kid but I couldn't afford them. When I was an adult and finally had some money for miniatures, I bought a box of Chaos Warriors and didn't like the proportions, so I stopped being fascinating with it.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Which chaos warriors, those dogshit plastic ones from the nineties?...you guys know the ones, they were all hunchbacks and impossible to rank up?

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
As people have said, 40k has the most awesome setting but the actual game is pretty boring and crappy.

I've heard Infinity is good but don't know anything about it.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
fizzelopeguss said:
Which chaos warriors, those dogshit plastic ones from the nineties?...you guys know the ones, they were all hunchbacks and impossible to rank up?
Yes :lol: . Though, I hate proportions all the WHFB/WH40k miniatures.

Vaarna_Aarne

Oh come on the 90's Chaos Warriors had nothing to do with freedom. The Heroquest Warriors were all about freedom.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Well all of the Chapters have genetic issues... Except for ULTRAMAREENZ. Even Imp Fists have an unhealthy obsession with masochism.

Though to be honest I prefer the blandness of the Ultramarines over the fanboy love for Space Wolves and shitz.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom