Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Teh BG2 Roleplay Question

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
Did Keldorn constantly bitch about the action crapfest that constituted BG combat?

No, but then he had a high wisdom if I recall correctly. :P

And luckily he didn't sound like Keldorn the forum LARPer or I would have strangled him myself.

Keldorn

Scholar
Section8 said:
It was tricky keeping her and Keldorn from each others throats but I did it.

Did Keldorn constantly bitch about the action crapfest that constituted BG combat?

I've stated this SEVERAL times on this forum : IMO, BG1&2 had 30% too much combat and loot, and if I designed, developed and released BG3 it would have significantly less of both.

Not only that, I'd add considerably more C&C and have no misleading/duplicated dialogue options.

BG2 is my favorite game of all time, but even I, Keldorn, the pompous and PRISTINE paladin, can talk for hours about it's imperfections, inadequacies and aspects of over-the-top silliness which make it FAR from less then a perfect RPG.

DraQ

Arcane
Keldorn said:
DraQ said:

You are simply an oblivious, techno-bot bird-brain which is intrinsically incapable of enjoying, understanding and appreciating 2D isometrics or D&D (and especially, both at the same time).

Not every engine, system or game world has to be an uber-realistic technical excercise, especially when massive, polarized, high-fantasy realms are the playpen.

You should stick to FPS and simulations, as your mechanical FP-twitch mind will find itself less stressed in those environments.
Phail.
PS:T was awesome while being isometric.

BTW: Does anyone else find it intrisically funny that preference of complex and morally amibiguous world over generic and black and white one makes someone, in Keldorn's eyes, a bird-brain?

Lulz aplenty.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
The only thing I find intrinsically funny about the codex is how some people get all mad and worked up about videogames and start insulting people for it. That and the ocasional intentional humor provided by some posters.

Raapys

Arcane
Baldur's Gate 2 would have received alot less hate if it hadn't been so popular. And PS:T would probably have received less praise if every counter-strike kiddie had thought the game was awesome too.

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
Also I reckon your average Codexer is pretty old and decrepit. The whole RTwP thing must have been a tremendous strain on their arthritic fingers and poor vision. I can see it now :

Oh golly, a group of hostile NPCs...right, let me pause and give orders...right, thats done, lets unpause...what! No, one of them is a mage and casting a spell...oh gosh!

Must...push ...spacebar...in...time...OW finger cramp. Oh no! He got it off, and it's a fireball! And now my mage is in trouble, he's hurt, and theres a rogue coming up in melee!

Must get him to drink a healing potion....move mouse move..come on, which of these icons is the healing potion....oh dammit trick elbow, don't play up on me now! Gah, the rogue got to him!

I&%*%^# ^%#$ing kids with their skateboards and their real-time-with-pause RPGs. *waves fist angrily*

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
That's surprisingly how I often feel when playing RTwP, no joke. I mean, I don't hate the system, but... eh. If I wanted something where I need quick reflexes I would play an action game, or better still, Embodiment of Scarlet Devil or something. [Hay guyz, I am getting close to 1CC it on Hard! I feel so proud of myself. [That is, until I start DoDonPachi and get utterly destroyed by an actually -fast- bullet hell game]]

Keldorn

Scholar
DraQ said:
BTW: Does anyone else find it intrisically funny that preference of complex and morally amibiguous world over generic and black and white one makes someone, in Keldorn's eyes, a bird-brain?

Again, you fail to see the complex artistic myriad.

I do not categorically prefer (or demand) generic / black and white over complex and morally amibiguous, except, in the polarized, colorful,*BALDUR'S GATE* context, which pits the player-character against a malicious and ruthlessly powerful central villain in an over-the-top, pseudo-medieval, massive high-fantasy environment.

This is where YOU fail : you are apparently intellectually incapable of tolerating a *CERTAIN PERCENTAGE* of CRPGs implementing the polarized D&D route, while others do NOT necessarily have to pursue that route. It's a high-level concept, which you might want to refer to as "artistic game realm variation". I've never once stated that EVERY RPG has to implement the polarized D&D alignment system a la BG, but you tend to imply that *NO* RPGs can *EVER* employ such an alignment system, lest they be "refuted and dismissed" by your perfect preferences, which ironically, you assume to be universal, all-encompassing and hyper-objective.

When in reality, your hatred of the simplistic & universal BG D&D alignment system *IN THE BG CONTEXT*, is really just a unique, subjective, individually idiosyncratic reaction to game-art.

It's obviously your personal/subjective right to hate it, but not your right (intellectual, artistic or otherwise) to demand that everyone adopts your negative, narrow-minded *opinion*.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Jasede said:
That's surprisingly how I often feel when playing RTwP, no joke. I mean, I don't hate the system, but... eh. If I wanted something where I need quick reflexes I would play an action game, or better still, Embodiment of Scarlet Devil or something. [Hay guyz, I am getting close to 1CC it on Hard! I feel so proud of myself. [That is, until I start DoDonPachi and get utterly destroyed by an actually -fast- bullet hell game]]

RTwP requires quick reflexes?

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
...or at least l33t pausing skills...actually...no not even that since you can make the game autopause every other second .

afewhours

Scholar
Meh. I could take or leave the alignment system. I always just set it to TN these days, anyway... Unless my almighty halfling paladin's involved.

The evil choices in BG2 always struck me as a little odd. Epic dragon-slaying fantasiness and roleplaying evil...? well it's like trying to bowl and keep wicket at the same time. Perhaps I'm just being old and stodgy, or something.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Marcelo21 said:
...or at least l33t pausing skills...actually...no not even that since you can make the game autopause every other second .

BG plays terrible when you pause each round. Hitting the spacebar quickly isn't everyone's cup of tea. That's why I like to never use pause - the only trouble is that the encounters are all terrible as you have to pause if you want to prevent needless death.

Ah man, back on an NWN PW... the DMs always perfectly scaled encounters so that the realtime was very playable, and players were always drilled to keep consumables about, which only made sense in the setting. Only the most favourite players of the DMs got some outragous out of bounds encounters to test their wits and engine skills against, like that time we raided that Drider cathedral with the DM harassing us, a level 10~ group, with his regenerating level 25 behemoth spider. Ah man, good times.

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
When I was faced with the evil characters leaving I'd just go kill an innocent so my reputation dropped. The higher it is the more it drops too. I think it drops by 9 if you have 20 rep. So, it sucks, but you get to keep those buggers around. Pretty easy choice to make for me.

Andhaira

Arcane
DraQ wrote: BTW: Does anyone else find it intrisically funny that preference of complex and morally amibiguous world over generic and black and white one makes someone, in Keldorn's eyes, a bird-brain?

No. What i do find rather sad however, is someone with absolutely no opinion of his own who wandered over from the Oblivion fan-forums looking for some cheap-thrills and a desperate cry for accpetance.

DraQ

Arcane
Andhaira said:
No. What i do find rather sad however, is someone with absolutely no opinion of his own who wandered over from the Oblivion fan-forums looking for some cheap-thrills and a desperate cry for accpetance.
No opinion of my own? How so?

Besides, you're a dumbfuck, you're here to provide lulz, deliver.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Andhaira is way less dumb on average than you, necromancy and talking to rats aside, so shut the fuck up and lurk more.

Radisshu

Prophet
Lesifoere said:
Jasede said:

RTwP requires quick reflexes?

I wonder how long it takes the average codexer to write a post on the forum.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Considering you have to tap the space bar a lot in an average post written in English...

Honestly, I'd have thought that RTwP is one of the more forgiving combat systems for those with horrible reflexes. Especially in NWN/KotOR/NWN2, where you can even queue up actions.

1eyedking

Erudite
Raapys said:
And PS:T would probably have received less praise if every counter-strike kiddie had thought the game was awesome too.
Funny, though: Counter-Strike is actually a better game than PS:T.

I can elaborate the reasons if you so wish, but watch the pwnage meter...

Radisshu

Prophet
1eyedking said:
Raapys said:
And PS:T would probably have received less praise if every counter-strike kiddie had thought the game was awesome too.
Funny, though: Counter-Strike is actually a better game than PS:T.

I can elaborate the reasons if you so wish, but watch the pwnage meter...

elabor8 plz

DraQ

Arcane
Jasede said:
No, it's your utter lack of wit and your "me too" mentality.
Ah, I get it.

I should desperately seek matters on which my opinions differ with those of the hivemind and then express my views to prove I'm different.
AMIRITE?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom