Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Temple of Trials, or Irenicus' Dungeon, or ToEE Moathouse, or Peragus?

Which of the following do you like best?

• Total voters

Laz Sundays

Educated
I unironically like the first dungeon of Baldur's Gate II.

:dealwithit:
It's pretty good. Not sure why so many people complain about it.
What the hell were you expecting? Durlag's Tower 2: Electric Boogaloo?
probably no dungeon at all.

Starting duneons tend to suck, hard, in most cRPGs, even when they're decently designed they still serve to get in the way for repeat playthroughs.

Irenicus's Dungeon is a tutorial, first and foremost. If you've played BG 2 before it's annoying to do the slog yet again.

Doesn't hold a candle to Peragus though. Truly, an absolutely dogshit start to any video-game.
Which is why Moathouse wins. But you haven't played ToEE, correct?

Laz Sundays

Educated
Brofist this post if you think that changing the option to the Moathouse (which is a dungeon, and matches the other poll choices since they're dungeons as well) as opposed to it just saying "Hommlet".
poll is about starting areas not dungeons crithpy
I just wanna add my 2 cents on this with an official statement, in Italic, which means its extra important

"As one of the leading experts on all role playing game systems and Gerry Gygax forgotten realms adventure modules.....the adventure party doesnt even begin in the moathouse. it shouldnt even be on the list"
It doesn't matter if it begins there, mr. Italic. It's even better that it doesn't, regardless of how much of a fail the Hommlet was. Moathouse is the first dungeon that you, hm, encounter.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Moathouse has so many memorable fights. The giant frogs and the bandits at the start. The bandit leader (who is a barbarian) and his cronies inside. I remember one time when he once critted my squishy mage with his greataxe. 1d12 damage and x3 critical... Yeah, let's just say my mage got fucking annihilated.
You got the zombies and ghouls (watch out for that nasty ghoul paralysis!), the bugbears, the gnolls, the ogre Lubash and finally Lareth and his goons.
It's just perfection *chef's kiss.

Hagashager

Educated

Starting duneons tend to suck, hard, in most cRPGs, even when they're decently designed they still serve to get in the way for repeat playthroughs.

Irenicus's Dungeon is a tutorial, first and foremost. If you've played BG 2 before it's annoying to do the slog yet again.

Doesn't hold a candle to Peragus though. Truly, an absolutely dogshit start to any video-game.
No, I have not. It's on my To-Do list.

Skorpion

Educated

No, I have not. It's on my To-Do list.
They apparently have it as a mod for Solasta (I was just perusing mods) if you have that.
No clue how faithful it is though.

Skdursh

Savant
One of my favorite thing about playing FO2 in the modern day is I can mod it to completely skip Temple of Trials.

I'm definitely going with Irenicus on this one.

I spent many, many hours playing through to the end of the Moathouse and then rerolling another party just to see how a different party comp would fair. I had more fun doing this than I've had playing 99% of the RPGs in the past 5 years to a decade. The same could never be said for BG2 or Fallout 2's starter dungeons, they're not even in the same league. You're just going through the motions in those dungeons to get to the fun part of the game. This is with a fresh set of eyes, as I've never made it past Homlett prior to 2022.

Thread concept was murdered by the Moathous inclusion, frankly.

e-mailio estevez said:
Thread concept was murdered by the Moathous inclusion, frankly.

Correct. All of these are obligatory intro levels that gate your entrance into the broader game. I can get to L3 before even leaving Hommlet. Much higher if I do other things. The player can sneak and steal +7 Elven Chainmail and a bunch of gold before even getting to the moathouse. This change botched the poll.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Whoever changed the title to "a bunch of unpopular starting areas and the dungeon that gave ToEE a glowing reputation among P&P gamers" was ridiculous.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Missing
- "The Rescue"/"The Pickup"/"The Heist" from Cyberpunk 2077
- Abandoned Factory from Nier Automata
- Mako Reactor 1 from Final Fantasy VII Remake
- Harfeld Manor from Dragonfall
- Tower of Set from Conan the Barbarian

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom